Will Wolford Out At St. X

Page 3 of Resigned. Per Twitter.... 159 comments | 19834 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    326

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad 74 View Post
    Think out of the box just a little bit, and hire Ty Scroggins.
    His kid plays at DeSales. Not happening until he graduates.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    326

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpride94 View Post
    Iíve heard itís going to be Lefors.
    Will he leave before Milton Wrightís senior season?

  3. #33
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,459

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Smith went to play at UK in 1977 so I'm guessing almost 60. Since he spent several years coaching at UK under Rich Brooks and Joker Phillips I have no idea where he would stand on teacher retirement. With any private school (Newport Catholic, St. X; CAL is Lefors were to leave) you have to factor in outside employment for coaches.
    That was my first question also. I have no idea if he would even entertain leaving Boyle for the rigors of Louisville 6A, but if he did, the finances of that move would have to make sense IMO or it would be a no-go.

  4. #34
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5,112

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    That was my first question also. I have no idea if he would even entertain leaving Boyle for the rigors of Louisville 6A, but if he did, the finances of that move would have to make sense IMO or it would be a no-go.
    He might if his son wanted the Boyle job... just sayin.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    9,760

    What about the DeSales coach?

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    1,007

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    I'm pretty surprised by this. But it goes to show you that THE GAME (X vs T) matters most. If you can't beat the other or at least once in a while, you likely won't last long. Close isn't good enough...

    I hope they get a good coach!
    First of all thank you Coach Wolford for everything you've done for the program and the school in leading Project X. 2nd- let's not make assumptions on the reasons he resigned. I don't know his reasons, it could be he told them that he'd stay on for 5 years after Glaser and he completed that mission. Saying that if you can't beat Trinity, means you should resign doesn't know much about Will Wolford and the character of the man. You are talking about an all-pro OT who played in numerous Super Bowls who has a successful business and wonderful family, all of which may be a much higher priority in his life at this time. If you want to measure his wins and losses, check back with the kids from Charles Walker ( his first year) to Jack Albers( this year) in 10 years and see if they are winners as dads, husbands, brothers, doctors, policemen, etc. By my count 107 seniors played in a St Xavier game uniform the last 2 years. All 107 are either enrolled in college or the military or scheduled to be after graduation. I would call that winning.....

  7. #37
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5,112

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyref View Post
    First of all thank you Coach Wolford for everything you've done for the program and the school in leading Project X. 2nd- let's not make assumptions on the reasons he resigned. I don't know his reasons, it could be he told them that he'd stay on for 5 years after Glaser and he completed that mission. Saying that if you can't beat Trinity, means you should resign doesn't know much about Will Wolford and the character of the man. You are talking about an all-pro OT who played in numerous Super Bowls who has a successful business and wonderful family, all of which may be a much higher priority in his life at this time. If you want to measure his wins and losses, check back with the kids from Charles Walker ( his first year) to Jack Albers( this year) in 10 years and see if they are winners as dads, husbands, brothers, doctors, policemen, etc. By my count 107 seniors played in a St Xavier game uniform the last 2 years. All 107 are either enrolled in college or the military or scheduled to be after graduation. I would call that winning.....
    I'm not questioning his character. I think he's a fine man. I've sung his praises many times on here for playing BG. Wolford allowed BG to play twice at home these past 2 season vs X to accommodate taking PRP onto their schedule. How many coaches would have done that? Not half, I'd say.

    I'm merely stating that this is the biggest rivalry in the state. IMO it puts a lot of pressure on you to keep up. Just my opinion.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    1,958

    How many years does Chuck Smith have vested in the state? I know the pension system is in chaos, but probably not the time to leave for a private school.

  9. #39
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,459

    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeReader View Post
    How many years does Chuck Smith have vested in the state? I know the pension system is in chaos, but probably not the time to leave for a private school.
    If you have in enough time to meet the requirements for full retirement, then it is ABSOLUTELY the time to retire from public education, especially if you have the opportunity to work in the private sector.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jan 12
    Posts
    441

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Smith went to play at UK in 1977 so I'm guessing almost 60. Since he spent several years coaching at UK under Rich Brooks and Joker Phillips I have no idea where he would stand on teacher retirement. With any private school (Newport Catholic, St. X; CAL is Lefors were to leave) you have to factor in outside employment for coaches.
    The retirement issue has to be something that coaches would consider. Is there a way for private schools to mitigate that loss?

    Mark Perry at LexCath could be a direction to go, although I don't know if that would be a big enough name to satisfy X fans. He is already outside of the KTRS.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    478

    I have no idea what the religious criteria is, if any, but has Saint Xavier ever had a non Catholic head coach ? I can not think of one if they have. Trinity had Dennis Lampley a practicing Protestant, and i don’t believe the current Trinity coach is catholic. This approach of Trinity’s sure opens things up to a lot more when it comes to hiring the best man for the job.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Posts
    159

    PRP is a district game....there was no "accommodating" needed...

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    62

    I would begin the search with Kevin Wallace and make him say no. Who ultimately makes the decision at STX? Is it the AD or is there a committee?

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    348

    Why would Chuck Smith leave Boyle with a couple of future state championships in his back pocket. They return the house the next two years. LeFors would be the logical move.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    244

    Lefors is an interesting candidate. I believe he has 6 years at CAL and has done well. He would be taking a huge step up. Players, facilities, opponents, etc. How much can 2A prepare you for what you have at St X? I would think X may be wiser to go to a proven success at a large school. If it was me, I would be looking on a regional/national level for the right fit.

Top