Will Cooper and Conner voluntarily request to play up into 6A again?

Page 4 of If you are a parent of a football player thinking about sending your son to Cooper or Conner this is a question you better be asking Coach Borchers fro... 73 comments | 5803 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    HedgeHog8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    #FearTheVeer
    Posts
    70

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    The "decision" here will impact what Grant Co does.
    If I follow you correctly, you mean that if they stay 5A then Grant would be pushed to a district to the south or west and if they move up then Grant would be forced back in to the district that they just left, ultimately making Grant drop out of district play again. Correct?
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    67

    Ryle has the best stadium.
    Ryle has enough kids in its pee-wee programs to have TWO full programs. If you include the Hawkeyes they have enough for THREE full pee-wee programs. Conner is next best with numbers, but Cooper and Boone don't even have enough kids for their own pee wee teams... they had to merge.
    Ryle should be 6A.
    Boone, Conner and Cooper should get to play 5A (or whatever division they are supposed to play) until they have enough school population to play up. Anything else is cheating the kids at those schools. Football is (and always has been) a numbers game. The bigger the numbers the more likely you are to find 22 kids that can play.
    Here's an idea... if the BOE makes the other schools play up then they should immediately install field-turf at the three schools who don't have it.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Posts
    130

    So you are the Conner coach/parent/board member or whoever and you say:

    1. In 2016 we were 9-2 and lost 49-16 to Scott Co. in the 2nd round, yes Scott Co. was good but they were not the state champ.

    2. In 2017 we lost the last regular season game to Douglass 28-3, same deal as Scott Co., a good team but light years away from top of 6A and then in the 1st round of the playoffs we lost to Male 66-0, again Male was good but there is no debate it was not a great Male team.

    3. So what we think the best thing for our program is play up into that class again rather than play in our assigned class.

    I could go thru the same scenario with Cooper and over the past four years Cooper and Conner have been better than Boone so I will not even mention their scenario.

    Frankly it is mind boggling that any leader of people would chose to throw in the white towel for a 4 year period. I think rational thinking will prevail and the 5A district will be the one listed early with Cooper/Conner/Boone/Cov. Cath and maybe Highlands, which is a great district that would draw good crowds and provide excitement for the programs. Or play Male and lose 66-0.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    340

    Those on here that think or implying that the school board is going to come in and dictate what class the schools are going to play in football are wrong. It was a local decision made by each school the last time and it will be a local decision this time as well. Come on. Why would they control that decision? As long as they all continue to play each other, why get involved with it.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by changeup View Post
    Those on here that think or implying that the school board is going to come in and dictate what class the schools are going to play in football are wrong. It was a local decision made by each school the last time and it will be a local decision this time as well. Come on. Why would they control that decision? As long as they all continue to play each other, why get involved with it.
    Board no, central office, yes.

  6. #51
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,871

    Quote Originally Posted by changeup View Post
    Those on here that think or implying that the school board is going to come in and dictate what class the schools are going to play in football are wrong. It was a local decision made by each school the last time and it will be a local decision this time as well. Come on. Why would they control that decision? As long as they all continue to play each other, why get involved with it.
    On one hand I am with you @changeup because like you said it was a local decision made last time by Coach Borchers on behalf of Cooper and Coach Trosper on behalf of Conner but now we have Coach Borchers floating the idea that the Boone County BOE may intervene for the 2019-2022 seasons.

    And for reference everyone:

    Why did Cooper and Conner voluntarily request to play in 6A?

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    63

    Cooper won’t be 5A until the year after this upcoming season.

  8. #53
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,871

    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Cooper won’t be 5A until the year after this upcoming season.
    Right... We are talking about the 2019-2022 seasons, not this coming year, 2018.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    63

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Right... We are talking about the 2019-2022 seasons, not this coming year, 2018.
    Then it’s a sure thing, at least from what I heard. Good for Cooper because 6A is brutal.

  10. #55
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,871

    Quote Originally Posted by HOF View Post
    Then it’s a sure thing, at least from what I heard. Good for Cooper because 6A is brutal.
    There is nothing official to indicate that anything is a "sure thing" yet.

  11. #56
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,221

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I don't think it was that simple in the past or that simple of a calculation this time.

    4 years ago the Bad Boy on the 5A Block was Highlands, today it appears to be CovCath. So thinking back four years ago would the Cooper and Conner powers that be rather stay in 5A and get beat by Highlands every year and maybe get beat by CCH too and finish 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in their own district and exit the playoffs in the 2nd round with an 8 and 4 record. Or, would those powers that be want to take their chances in 6A, petition the state to move Trinity to the other side of the bracket, and potentially make it all the way to the finals and finish as 11-4 state runner up.
    I can't deny your logic here. It is hard for me to accept though, because I hate the idea of running from anybody. But I don't think like an AD or a HC, apparently.

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    On one hand I am with you @changeup because like you said it was a local decision made last time by Coach Borchers on behalf of Cooper and Coach Trosper on behalf of Conner but now we have Coach Borchers floating the idea that the Boone County BOE may intervene for the 2019-2022 seasons.

    And for reference everyone:

    Why did Cooper and Conner voluntarily request to play in 6A?
    @Fear the Nation figured it out in the very first response to your post in that old thread (see post #2).

    So, @theguru, you contend that Cooper, Conner, (and just for grins) Boone should play in 5A even though many years it may be hard to get very far in the playoffs due to Cov Cath and Highlands. This is better than playing in 6A because even if they get far in the playoffs they will never beat Trinity or whatever top Louisville school also in the championship game.

    The prospect of perhaps winning a state championship in 5A, in a year when Cov Cath and Highlands are down, and Cooper or Conner is up, is better than making multiple trips deep in the 6A playoffs but losing in the championship game.

    The difference between those two is so important that a parent should move his/her kid from a school that would voluntarily move up to 6A thus giving up all hope of ever winning a state championship.

    Does that represent what you are saying?

  12. #57
    Brcatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    437

    Question,
    With the New Middle school set to open next year in Boone County, will the kids have to change middle schools with the New District Lines? Would this change where kids go to High School Later?

  13. #58

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    340

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Board no, central office, yes.
    Still not buying that. The decision will be made by each school. and FWIW I think all 3 stay in 5A

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Oct 17
    Posts
    27

    How many Boone Co residents currently play for CCH? Honest question, I have no idea. I know there were several at Beechwood. If you're in the same district in 5A and CCH runs through it every year for the next several years, how many Boone County athletes will play for CCH in 2022? Boone County kids don't have many options but to transfer to a private school or a Kenton/Campbell County school if they are not happy with their current situation or inability to win.

    Not saying that should play into any part of the decision making process, but it is the reality of the closed enrollment situation.

  15. #60
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,871

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    I can't deny your logic here. It is hard for me to accept though, because I hate the idea of running from anybody. But I don't think like an AD or a HC, apparently.


    @Fear the Nation figured it out in the very first response to your post in that old thread (see post #2).

    So, @theguru, you contend that Cooper, Conner, (and just for grins) Boone should play in 5A even though many years it may be hard to get very far in the playoffs due to Cov Cath and Highlands. This is better than playing in 6A because even if they get far in the playoffs they will never beat Trinity or whatever top Louisville school also in the championship game.

    The prospect of perhaps winning a state championship in 5A, in a year when Cov Cath and Highlands are down, and Cooper or Conner is up, is better than making multiple trips deep in the 6A playoffs but losing in the championship game.

    The difference between those two is so important that a parent should move his/her kid from a school that would voluntarily move up to 6A thus giving up all hope of ever winning a state championship.

    Does that represent what you are saying?
    In short, no, not exactly.

    First for Boone County, if any Coach, AD, BOE Member, or Super believes Boone County should move up in class I believe they should be terminated immediately. I will go even further and say it is criminal minded thinking.

    We have to look at perception vs. reality. The perception four years ago was that Highlands was a World Beater and Covington Catholic was dangerous. The reality is after one strong year Highlands tanked and this past season was CovCath's only dominate team. In other words, Cooper and Conner would have had some meaningful chances had they stayed in 5A where they belong.

    Additionally before moving up became an issue for Cooper or Conner, they both proved they are capable in their classes. Cooper had a state runner up finish in 5A and Conner has a state title and runner up in 3A under the four class system (which essentially is 5A now).

    To summarize, Cooper and Conner have had success playing where they belong in the past and Cooper and Conner obviously made the wrong call moving up last time because they would have had a chance in 5A when they had good teams over the last three years.

    Let's move up to 6A (pun intended). Never in the history of either Conner or Cooper would they have had a realistic shot to win 6A (or 4A in the past for Conner). I will go further and say in recent 6A action Cooper and Conner not only never had a shot to win 6A, they couldn't get past Ryle or Simon or Scott County, etc. to even get the chance to get running clocked by someone like Trinity, St. Xavier, or Male. In other words, Cooper or Conner are NOT going to be making multiple trips deep in the 6A playoffs. Add to that the new proposed seeding of the playoffs in the semi-finals would almost assuredly mean that if Conner or Cooper were good enough and lucky enough to advance to the 6A semi-finals they would end up on the road at Trinity or on the road at some other large school world beater.

    To summarize Conner and Cooper's chance in 6A, they have no chance in 6A. None, Zip, Zilch, Zero.

    So keeping in mind there are several fine schools in NKY... if football is important to you why go to a school that voluntarily puts themselves in 6A Football where they NEVER have a chance to win a state championship?

Top