Will Cooper and Conner voluntarily request to play up into 6A again?

Page 3 of If you are a parent of a football player thinking about sending your son to Cooper or Conner this is a question you better be asking Coach Borchers fro... 73 comments | 5991 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,553

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I chuckle when I see these posts inferring Cov Cath fear. Maybe in 3 or 4 years the joke will be on me, but there sure isn't anything until this past year that should cause anyone to fear Cov Cath. Plus, you are afraid of Cov Cath so you move up to the class with Trinity and St. X? Laughable.

    Here is Cov Cath over the 10 years prior to last season:

    2016 ... 9-4 lost in round 3
    2015 ... 5-8 lost in round 3
    2014 ... 8-5 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2013 ...10-3 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2012 ... 9-4 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2011 ...10-3 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2010 ... 6-6 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2009 ... 6-6 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2008 ... 5-7 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2007 ... 5-7 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)

    That is the team people are afraid of?
    I agree, sounds ridiculous to me. After some thought though, ironically if there are in fact 3 teams in Boone district afraid of playing Cov Cath, it's the 3 moving up and definitely not Ryle.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,139

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    I trust my source a little more since Borchers told me directly Cooper will be 5A. Which you know I been on here a long time and rarely if ever have directly said for a fact something is true. Usually what I post it just my opinion on things. So you can believe me or not. However this I am saying for a fact Cooper will be 5A. I assume Conner and Boone will be too, but that I don't know for a fact.

    So those are facts. As for my opinion. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Cooper win the 5A district it's 1st year back in it in 2019. However that discussion can take place in 2019 on who will win that new 5A district when that time comes next year.
    fc, I am NOT doubting you at all. I believe you know how much I think of you as a valued member here at BGP.

    Coach Borchers told you one thing today and he told someone else something slightly different recently.

  3. #33
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,139

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Avoiding CovCath to play better teams in 6A? I'm not buying that.
    I don't think it was that simple in the past or that simple of a calculation this time.

    4 years ago the Bad Boy on the 5A Block was Highlands, today it appears to be CovCath. So thinking back four years ago would the Cooper and Conner powers that be rather stay in 5A and get beat by Highlands every year and maybe get beat by CCH too and finish 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in their own district and exit the playoffs in the 2nd round with an 8 and 4 record. Or, would those powers that be want to take their chances in 6A, petition the state to move Trinity to the other side of the bracket, and potentially make it all the way to the finals and finish as 11-4 state runner up.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,546

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    I agree, sounds ridiculous to me. After some thought though, ironically if there are in fact 3 teams in Boone district afraid of playing Cov Cath, it's the 3 moving up and definitely not Ryle.
    Curious as to why you say the other 3 teams would be afraid of Covcath and not Ryle? Ryle has beat Cooper the last 2 years. But in the last three years in the same district again. They have had the same results. Each has a regional finals exit, a 2nd round exit, and a 1st round exit.

    Since Cooper has had their first group go through the program freshman till they graduate. Cooper is 3 and 3 against Ryle in the regular season in that time span. Cooper has also been to a state finals, and a state semifinals during that time frame. Even though they were 5a those years, they still beat Ryle those years. Including a regional finals appearance their first year in 6a, while also beating Ryle again.

    Ryle no doubt is a good program. Yet somehow and some reason people build Ryle up as the top superior team in Boone County. When in reality them and Cooper have basically been at the same level of success in all facets. So I just don't get comments like that about Ryle acting like it's a superior program.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,553

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Curious as to why you say the other 3 teams would be afraid of Covcath and not Ryle? Ryle has beat Cooper the last 2 years. But in the last three years in the same district again. They have had the same results. Each has a regional finals exit, a 2nd round exit, and a 1st round exit.

    Since Cooper has had their first group go through the program freshman till they graduate. Cooper is 3 and 3 against Ryle in the regular season in that time span. Cooper has also been to a state finals, and a state semifinals during that time frame. Even though they were 5a those years, they still beat Ryle those years. Including a regional finals appearance their first year in 6a, while also beating Ryle again.

    Ryle no doubt is a good program. Yet somehow and some reason people build Ryle up as the top superior team in Boone County. When in reality them and Cooper have basically been at the same level of success in all facets. So I just don't get comments like that about Ryle acting like it's a superior program.
    Scheduling.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,546

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    Scheduling.
    Hmmm besides Cathedral being added this past year when they knew they had a great group back. What exact teams does Ryle schedule that is so much tougher? Because looking at schedules they played literally the exact same teams as each other with the exception of Cathedral this past year.

    The 2016 season they played the exact same schedule except for three games. Those three other games was Ryle played Covcath who wasn't looked at as this great team in 2016. They also played George Rogers Clark who went 1 and 9 that season, and Henry Clay. While Cooper played NCC, Lexington Catholic, and Bryan Station. Bryan Station finished higher than Henry Clay in their district. Safe to say Lexington Catholic better than George Rogers Clark. The only game that was tougher for Ryle in 2016 was Covcath instead of NCC for Cooper. So looks like Cooper had a tougher 2016 schedule by a game and Ryle had a tougher 2017 schedule by a game.

    So you saying scheduling is the reason Ryle is superior. Seems to be as Trump says fake news. Ryle is a very good program. However They are not this superior team in Boone like some to think they are as I have shown.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,553

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Hmmm besides Cathedral being added this past year when they knew they had a great group back. What exact teams does Ryle schedule that is so much tougher? Because looking at schedules they played literally the exact same teams as each other with the exception of Cathedral this past year.

    The 2016 season they played the exact same schedule except for three games. Those three other games was Ryle played Covcath who wasn't looked at as this great team in 2016. They also played George Rogers Clark who went 1 and 9 that season, and Henry Clay. While Cooper played NCC, Lexington Catholic, and Bryan Station. Bryan Station finished higher than Henry Clay in their district. Safe to say Lexington Catholic better than George Rogers Clark. The only game that was tougher for Ryle in 2016 was Covcath instead of NCC for Cooper. So looks like Cooper had a tougher 2016 schedule by a game and Ryle had a tougher 2017 schedule by a game.

    So you saying scheduling is the reason Ryle is superior. Seems to be as Trump says fake news. Ryle is a very good program. However They are not this superior team in Boone like some to think they are as I have shown.
    That's cool, discect it however you'd like. I don't think Ryle is afraid to play Cov Cath, the end.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,546

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    That's cool, discect it however you'd like. I don't think Ryle is afraid to play Cov Cath, the end.
    Which is fine. I dont think Ryle is scared of them either. I dont think any of the Boone County teams are scared of them. Im asking why you think the other teams would be afraid to play Covcath? You said the other 3 may be afraid to play Covcath but definitely not Ryle. So I'm just trying to figure out exactly what has Ryle done to make you say they definitely wouldn't be afraid of Covcath, yet the other teams may be scared. That's interesting to me, especially since a team like Cooper plays Covcath in non district play already. So just trying to figure out your thinking on that. Then your reasoning was scheduling and that showed to not be much proof of anything.

    Imo none of the teams are scared of Covcath like you applied some might be.

  9. #39
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,139

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Which is fine. I dont think Ryle is scared of them either. I dont think any of the Boone County teams are scared of them. Im asking why you think the other teams would be afraid to play Covcath? You said the other 3 may be afraid to play Covcath but definitely not Ryle. So I'm just trying to figure out exactly what has Ryle done to make you say they definitely wouldn't be afraid of Covcath, yet the other teams may be scared. That's interesting to me, especially since a team like Cooper plays Covcath in non district play already. So just trying to figure out your thinking on that. Then your reasoning was scheduling and that showed to not be much proof of anything.

    Imo none of the teams are scared of Covcath like you applied some might be.
    Didn't CCH put a running clock on both Cooper and Ryle this year? I think that is certainly cause for concern if you are debating going into a district with CovCath.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,546

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Didn't CCH put a running clock on both Cooper and Ryle this year? I think that is certainly cause for concern if you are debating going into a district with CovCath.
    Covcath had a very special team last year. Covcath will have a very good team again this year and probably #2 in 5a going into the year with what they have coming back. So no doubt they are going to be a good program for the next few years and tough to beat for anyone. Do i think they will be this dominate team who beats down everyone like they did this year though? No. They will be very good and tough for people to beat. However I am not letting the current image of how great they were last year. Effect how I think things will be two years from now.

    I think the new 5a district 2 years from now will be a fun one to watch with different teams winning it in given years. Top district in the state good.

  11. #41
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,139

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Covcath had a very special team last year. Covcath will have a very good team again this year and probably #2 in 5a going into the year with what they have coming back. So no doubt they are going to be a good program for the next few years and tough to beat for anyone. Do i think they will be this dominate team who beats down everyone like they did this year though? No. They will be very good and tough for people to beat. However I am not letting the current image of how great they were last year. Effect how I think things will be two years from now.

    I think the new 5a district 2 years from now will be a fun one to watch with different teams winning it in given years. Top district in the state good.
    Boone County
    Conner
    Cooper
    CovCath
    Highlands

    I agree that would be a great 5A District with some big gates for those teams!

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,553

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Which is fine. I dont think Ryle is scared of them either. I dont think any of the Boone County teams are scared of them. Im asking why you think the other teams would be afraid to play Covcath? You said the other 3 may be afraid to play Covcath but definitely not Ryle. So I'm just trying to figure out exactly what has Ryle done to make you say they definitely wouldn't be afraid of Covcath, yet the other teams may be scared. That's interesting to me, especially since a team like Cooper plays Covcath in non district play already. So just trying to figure out your thinking on that. Then your reasoning was scheduling and that showed to not be much proof of anything.

    Imo none of the teams are scared of Covcath like you applied some might be.
    I'm not the one that started that notion. So I'd suggest you'd go to the source if you want answers to that question.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,534

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    What are you talking about?
    They are not afraid of playing CovCath they already play them in the regular season.

  14. #44
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,139

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    They are not afraid of playing CovCath they already play them in the regular season.
    I covered that in Post #39.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    The "decision" here will impact what Grant Co does.

Top