Will Cooper and Conner voluntarily request to play up into 6A again?

Page 2 of If you are a parent of a football player thinking about sending your son to Cooper or Conner this is a question you better be asking Coach Borchers fro... 73 comments | 6008 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,562

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    If that's the case it's a little early to be dodging Cov Cath. They've had one monster year. And why dodge Cov Cath to possibly play against the real big boys? I just don't understand the logic of playing up. Even if it was to avoid Cov Cath, what are the other benefits. Especially for Boone County, who's really been struggling the last several years.
    Agreed. If that is in fact the reasoning, you'd be avoiding Covington Catholic to play Trinity, St. X, and the contingent of Louisville powers.

    I guess you could make an argument for playing up to minimize travel, but considering the 5A district is likely to include Covington Catholic, Highlands, and Grant County you aren't exactly making long district bus rides in the penultimate football classification.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,350

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Agreed. If that is in fact the reasoning, you'd be avoiding Covington Catholic to play Trinity, St. X, and the contingent of Louisville powers.

    I guess you could make an argument for playing up to minimize travel, but considering the 5A district is likely to include Covington Catholic, Highlands, and Grant County you aren't exactly making long district bus rides in the penultimate football classification.
    And you can still play each other in non district play. If anything, it would make scheduling easier.

  3. #18
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    30,710

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Someone just told me that Cooper, Conner, and Boone County are all going to request to play up into 6A again.

    I have NO IDEA if that is true or not but if it is true get your kid out of the Boone County School System if football is important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Any reasoning that you know of for that?
    The only reason I can think of that the Board of Education could offer is they need to keep all schools the same because of their closed enrollment. If Ryle is the only 6A school then students might want to go there or leave there because of it. Considering how easily students have moved around inside the Boone County schools, that is a joke if that is their reason for it - but I can't think of anything else.

    If it is just for scheduling and competing against each other every year in districts, that doesn't make sense either. If I'm not mistaken those four schools are not in the same district now.

    If you live in those school districts and don't like this, you need to get organized and show up at a board meeting

  4. #19
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,400

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Is the thought here they'd rather play in a district with each other (and perhaps Campbell and Simon Kenton) instead of against Covington Catholic?
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    If that's the case it's a little early to be dodging Cov Cath. They've had one monster year. And why dodge Cov Cath to possibly play against the real big boys? I just don't understand the logic of playing up. Even if it was to avoid Cov Cath, what are the other benefits. Especially for Boone County, who's really been struggling the last several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Agreed. If that is in fact the reasoning, you'd be avoiding Covington Catholic to play Trinity, St. X, and the contingent of Louisville powers.

    I guess you could make an argument for playing up to minimize travel, but considering the 5A district is likely to include Covington Catholic, Highlands, and Grant County you aren't exactly making long district bus rides in the penultimate football classification.
    I think the only thing we can say we know is that it has nothing to do with avoiding Cov Cath for all the reasons stated in this thread why avoiding Cov Cath would not make sense.

  5. #20
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,208

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    I think the only thing we can say we know is that it has nothing to do with avoiding Cov Cath for all the reasons stated in this thread why avoiding Cov Cath would not make sense.
    I disagree and talked to a second person today that said the main reason for playing up is to avoid Covington Catholic. And I suppose Highlands too but this source didn't mention the Birds.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,534

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I disagree and talked to a second person today that said the main reason for playing up is to avoid Covington Catholic. And I suppose Highlands too but this source didn't mention the Birds.
    I know you don't believe that.

  7. #22
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,208

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    I know you don't believe that.
    What are you talking about?

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I disagree and talked to a second person today that said the main reason for playing up is to avoid Covington Catholic. And I suppose Highlands too but this source didn't mention the Birds.
    1. Im right in post 15

    2. You are right as well. Boone Co schools has a thing so deep for Cov Cath you could make butter with it.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,736

    Colonel paranoia!

  10. #25
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    51,623

    Avoiding CovCath to play better teams in 6A? I'm not buying that.

  11. #26
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    30,710

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I disagree and talked to a second person today that said the main reason for playing up is to avoid Covington Catholic. And I suppose Highlands too but this source didn't mention the Birds.
    I chuckle when I see these posts inferring Cov Cath fear. Maybe in 3 or 4 years the joke will be on me, but there sure isn't anything until this past year that should cause anyone to fear Cov Cath. Plus, you are afraid of Cov Cath so you move up to the class with Trinity and St. X? Laughable.

    Here is Cov Cath over the 10 years prior to last season:

    2016 ... 9-4 lost in round 3
    2015 ... 5-8 lost in round 3
    2014 ... 8-5 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2013 ...10-3 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2012 ... 9-4 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2011 ...10-3 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2010 ... 6-6 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2009 ... 6-6 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2008 ... 5-7 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2007 ... 5-7 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)

    That is the team people are afraid of?

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,570

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Someone just told me that Cooper, Conner, and Boone County are all going to request to play up into 6A again.

    I have NO IDEA if that is true or not but if it is true get your kid out of the Boone County School System if football is important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I told you.
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Is the thought here they'd rather play in a district with each other (and perhaps Campbell and Simon Kenton) instead of against Covington Catholic?
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    If that's the case it's a little early to be dodging Cov Cath. They've had one monster year. And why dodge Cov Cath to possibly play against the real big boys? I just don't understand the logic of playing up. Even if it was to avoid Cov Cath, what are the other benefits. Especially for Boone County, who's really been struggling the last several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Agreed. If that is in fact the reasoning, you'd be avoiding Covington Catholic to play Trinity, St. X, and the contingent of Louisville powers.

    I guess you could make an argument for playing up to minimize travel, but considering the 5A district is likely to include Covington Catholic, Highlands, and Grant County you aren't exactly making long district bus rides in the penultimate football classification.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    And you can still play each other in non district play. If anything, it would make scheduling easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The only reason I can think of that the Board of Education could offer is they need to keep all schools the same because of their closed enrollment. If Ryle is the only 6A school then students might want to go there or leave there because of it. Considering how easily students have moved around inside the Boone County schools, that is a joke if that is their reason for it - but I can't think of anything else.

    If it is just for scheduling and competing against each other every year in districts, that doesn't make sense either. If I'm not mistaken those four schools are not in the same district now.

    If you live in those school districts and don't like this, you need to get organized and show up at a board meeting
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    I think the only thing we can say we know is that it has nothing to do with avoiding Cov Cath for all the reasons stated in this thread why avoiding Cov Cath would not make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I disagree and talked to a second person today that said the main reason for playing up is to avoid Covington Catholic. And I suppose Highlands too but this source didn't mention the Birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Colonel paranoia!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Avoiding CovCath to play better teams in 6A? I'm not buying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I chuckle when I see these posts inferring Cov Cath fear. Maybe in 3 or 4 years the joke will be on me, but there sure isn't anything until this past year that should cause anyone to fear Cov Cath. Plus, you are afraid of Cov Cath so you move up to the class with Trinity and St. X? Laughable.

    Here is Cov Cath over the 10 years prior to last season:

    2016 ... 9-4 lost in round 3
    2015 ... 5-8 lost in round 3
    2014 ... 8-5 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2013 ...10-3 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2012 ... 9-4 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2011 ...10-3 lost in round 3 (Class 4A)
    2010 ... 6-6 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2009 ... 6-6 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2008 ... 5-7 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)
    2007 ... 5-7 lost in round 2 (Class 5A)

    That is the team people are afraid of?
    I think you all may need a better source on this topic at least in regards to Cooper. Because whoever told you that is dead wrong. At least with Cooper. Coach Borchers was my coach down at Ludlow. I literally seen and talked to Coach Borchers myself in person today. He told me for a fact that Cooper will be 5A. I didn't ask him about Conner or Boone, so I don't know for sure anything on them. I would assume they will stay in 5A too. However Cooper for a fact definitely will be 5A.

  13. #28
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,208

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    I think you all may need a better source on this topic at least in regards to Cooper. Because whoever told you that is dead wrong. At least with Cooper. Coach Borchers was my coach down at Ludlow. I literally seen and talked to Coach Borchers myself in person today. He told me for a fact that Cooper will be 5A. I didn't ask him about Conner or Boone, so I don't know for sure anything on them. I would assume they will stay in 5A too. However Cooper for a fact definitely will be 5A.
    I was just getting ready to post that someone else came forward to me and told me Coach Borchers wants to play 5A this time but he fears the Boone County Board of Education may force him/Cooper to play up.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,570

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I was just getting ready to post that someone else came forward to me and told me Coach Borchers wants to play 5A this time but he fears the Boone County Board of Education may force him/Cooper to play up.
    I trust my source a little more since Borchers told me directly Cooper will be 5A. Which you know I been on here a long time and rarely if ever have directly said for a fact something is true. Usually what I post it just my opinion on things. So you can believe me or not. However this I am saying for a fact Cooper will be 5A. I assume Conner and Boone will be too, but that I don't know for a fact.

    So those are facts. As for my opinion. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Cooper win the 5A district it's 1st year back in it in 2019. However that discussion can take place in 2019 on who will win that new 5A district when that time comes next year.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I was just getting ready to post that someone else came forward to me and told me Coach Borchers wants to play 5A this time but he fears the Boone County Board of Education may force him/Cooper to play up.
    Exactly, its not his call.

Top