Why does Highlands have such difficulty scheduling NKY teams???

Page 2 of Originally Posted by History Well please tell me as I wish they continued the series. The players run the plays from the sidelines. The coaches should ... 119 comments | 4217 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Harry Doyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 09
    Posts
    3,529

    Quote Originally Posted by AAATC View Post
    I have a good friend coaching at a private school near Buffalo, N.Y.
    They have to travel to fill out their schedule because none of the local schools will play them.
    They schedule St. Ignatius, St. Ed's in Ohio every year, they have been to Cincy for games at St. X,
    and travel to Erie, Pa, Rochester, Syracuse & Long Island, NY to get games other than required league games.

    It seems this is what Trinity has had to do the last few years & Highlands is in the same boat.
    I'm sure that Pendleton, Harrison, & Holmes would not have them scheduled if they were not required for district play.

    At this point in time, and for the past 10 + years, the Highlands program is that much better than the other NKY programs.
    Until a program proves it is capable of competing, they have nothing to gain by scheduling Highlands, and honestly,
    Highlands has nothing to gain by scheduling a team that can't push them.
    You got that right.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Location
    a contest
    Posts
    3,923

    Quote Originally Posted by jbwill2 View Post
    Well, look at what Trinity has been faced with in the recent past. At least there are non-district teams in KY that will play Highlands. Over the last few seasons Trinity has not been able to schedule a single non-district KY opponent, and in fact has not been able to fill out a full 10-game regular season.

    To answer the question posed in this thread, I am sure that most programs do not want to schedule a team if the chances of actually winning the game are very slim or nil. If Highlands keeps up what they have been doing against KY competition, I wonder if they will be forced to play KY teams like Trinity and St. X (which also have difficulty getting KY teams to play them, since they are so good every year) and out of state teams.


    See the logic is too obvious..when teams in your state are having trouble scheduling games, doesn't it make sense to have those teams play?? Highlands vs. Louisville St. X or Trinity?

    Glad RCC9 brought this thread to life. Subject is old, but the answers aren't and have been thoughtfully proposed here.

  3. #18
    Mayfieldsportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Pride and Tradition NEVER Graduate!
    Posts
    5,162

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    1998 season, I would say is a major reason that teams stopped playing them. I know that a lot of coaches during that time had a major issue with Mueller personally. However, I would have to think that now it comes down to the fact that big schools just don't want to get embarrassed locally when they can schedule competitive games. Those are the only teams that would benefit Highlands annually, but they never seem to be able to put it together. 2 or 3 years out of 10 Highlands would get a game from Beechwood or NewCath that would be fairly competitive. Those other 7 would be large margins of victory. Not sure how beneficial that would be.
    Can someone explain the 1998 season issue?

  4. #19
    ft bronc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 08
    Location
    Around the bend
    Posts
    614

    This worst of this problem goes away if we return to a reasonable number of classes. Just another example of why six classes is a bad idea.

  5. #20
    mexitucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,103

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfieldsportsfan View Post
    Can someone explain the 1998 season issue?
    From the outstide looking in, I'll take a jab. If I'm way off, I apologize. 1998 was the SR season for Lorenzon and Smith. They also had a ton of talented seniors and a really special Sophomore class. I believe that Mueller saw this and felt that the only way to capture the national attention that he felt the group deserved was to put up mind blowing numbers, and they did. They beat 4A champ Male in the opener and set the state record for pts scored in a season. They also beat local teams 88-12, 77-0, and 63-0, among other scores. Two of those teams were not district opponents and didn't need to ever schedule Highlands again. As a result, they have not. That was the year that "Running up the score," became synonymous w/ Mueller, so much so that it it is still part of his rep (unearned as it is right now.) At that time he was in his 5th year as head coach, and many of the old guard took the beatings personally. Now he's the senior man, so I think contempt has been replaced with a respect for how he's built a monster out of beast.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 11
    Location
    california...and not the warm one
    Posts
    284

    1998 Season:
    The 1998 Bluebirds team was considered the best team in all of Kentucky that year (finishing first in the state, regardless of classification, according to the state's ranking services), and in fact was considered by many to be the finest Kentucky high school football team in state history. The team went 15-0 and won the Class AAA state championship, destroying Louisville Waggener 56-7 in the title game. In the first week of the regular season, HHS defeated eventual 1998 Class AAAA champion Louisville Male 51-41 in the St. Luke Hospitals Champions Bowl. Led by Mr. Kentucky Football winner Jared Lorenzen and Mr. Football runner-up Derek Smith (both Division I-A recruits), the 'Birds set numerous state records, including most points in a season (801), most points in a championship game (56), largest state championship margin of victory (49), highest per-game yardage average (492.5), most extra points in a season (92), most extra points by a player in a season (Brennan Jones - 90), most touchdowns by a team in a season (113), most total offensive yardage by a team in a game (636), and highest point average per game by a team in a season (53). In addition, kicker Brennan Jones set a national record for most extra points by a player in a season, with 90. Highlands was ranked 19th in the USA Today Super 25 final 1998 high school football rankings, 14th in the National Sports News Service Poll, 16th in the CompUSA Overall National Poll, 20th in the Dick Butkus Football Network High School Top 25, 18th in the Tony Bianco National High School Football 'Tony' Poll and 15th in the PrepNation National Prep Football Poll. HHS finished 1998 as Class AAA champion, regional champion, district champion and NKAC champion.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261

    Quote Originally Posted by RCC9 View Post
    I am a HHS fan, but I'm not throwing this out there to gloat about how good HHS is. I am very curious to understand others thoughts on why teams shy away from playing HHS. Maybe that is just a perception we HHS fans have and that's not the case at all. Maybe HHS doesn't try to schedule the local teams. I really don't know. But it seems that there is a perception that others won't play HHS. Why is that?

    I have some thoughts, but I'll wait to see where this goes.
    I think alot of it has to do with Highlands as much as anything.. There are only a few select NKy teams that Highlands would even be interested in playing. Good programs want to challenge themselves and thats why they go and play some of the GCL schools and some of the better state teams outside of NKy. I'm sure the fans would also prefer to see the Elder, J.Hardin, Moeler type games vs a Beechwood, NCC, Dixie, SK type game. So, while I'm sure a few NKy teams wouldn't want to play Highlands on a year to year basis, I'd say there's several more that Highlands doesn't want on there too..

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 11
    Location
    california...and not the warm one
    Posts
    284

    That was off the history of Highlands since Mueller...............Now Mexitucky I agree with you. Scores were run up during that season. Not the case any more but hard feelings particularly amongst the old guard still exist.


    And by the way Campbell County was a loser that year 88-12. ABSOLUTELY no reason to put up 88 on anyone.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 12
    Posts
    75

    As long as Highlands keeps taking players from other schools , the competition will be weaker.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    North Carolina, but crazy about Ft. Thomas Highlands! Visit my Highlands website at www.Highlands-Bluebirds.com!
    Posts
    7,132

    Quote Originally Posted by san diego conquistadors View Post
    1998 Season:
    The 1998 Bluebirds team was considered the best team in all of Kentucky that year (finishing first in the state, regardless of classification, according to the state's ranking services), and in fact was considered by many to be the finest Kentucky high school football team in state history. The team went 15-0 and won the Class AAA state championship, destroying Louisville Waggener 56-7 in the title game. In the first week of the regular season, HHS defeated eventual 1998 Class AAAA champion Louisville Male 51-41 in the St. Luke Hospitals Champions Bowl. Led by Mr. Kentucky Football winner Jared Lorenzen and Mr. Football runner-up Derek Smith (both Division I-A recruits), the 'Birds set numerous state records, including most points in a season (801), most points in a championship game (56), largest state championship margin of victory (49), highest per-game yardage average (492.5), most extra points in a season (92), most extra points by a player in a season (Brennan Jones - 90), most touchdowns by a team in a season (113), most total offensive yardage by a team in a game (636), and highest point average per game by a team in a season (53). In addition, kicker Brennan Jones set a national record for most extra points by a player in a season, with 90. Highlands was ranked 19th in the USA Today Super 25 final 1998 high school football rankings, 14th in the National Sports News Service Poll, 16th in the CompUSA Overall National Poll, 20th in the Dick Butkus Football Network High School Top 25, 18th in the Tony Bianco National High School Football 'Tony' Poll and 15th in the PrepNation National Prep Football Poll. HHS finished 1998 as Class AAA champion, regional champion, district champion and NKAC champion.
    Hey, that looks familiar!

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 11
    Location
    california...and not the warm one
    Posts
    284

    1998 Season: 15-0
    HHS 51 Louisville Male 41 W
    HHS 88 Campbell County 12 W
    HHS 64 Covington Holmes 0 W
    HHS 62 Newport Central Catholic 0 W
    HHS 72 Scott 7 W
    HHS 51 Conner 20 W
    HHS 70 Covington Catholic 26 W
    HHS 41 Dixie Heights 7 W
    HHS 40 Ryle 7 W
    HHS 28 Simon Kenton 12 W
    HHS 63 East Jessamine 12 W
    HHS 34 Dixie Heights 10 W
    HHS 37 Covington Catholic 14 W
    HHS 44 Sheldon Clark 28 W
    HHS 56 Louisville Waggener 7 W

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 11
    Location
    california...and not the warm one
    Posts
    284

    Quote Originally Posted by jbwill2 View Post
    Hey, that looks familiar!
    Well it is really good work....................................!!!!!!

  13. #28

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    434

    Quote Originally Posted by purple blood View Post
    As long as Highlands keeps taking players from other schools , the competition will be weaker.
    Great 2nd post! I can only guess that your first post showed the same insight and keen intellect that this one has.

    Looking forward to your next gem.

  14. #29
    2 Humped Camel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    The "859"
    Posts
    3,919

    I think there are several reasons with the biggest being no one wants to schedule what in most years is a guaranteed loss. There is also the resentment, whether or not you feel it is perceived or real about transfers (Mitchell case) and kids that play their youth football at one place and end up at Highlands. Coaches feel that Highlands is taking from their talent pool and then beating them with said talent pool. Dale Mueller did have a pretty well deserved run it up reputation in the late 90's and maybe even a few years beyond but has backed off that stuff in a big way but the resentment still remains and the reputation is still out there. I think there is also an idea out there that Dale Mueller isn't as good a coach as people say he is because of the attitude out there that anyone can win at Highlands they just have to roll the balls out so to speak. I disagree with that because what he's done has taken Highlands to new levels but the idea is out there. Just my thoughts

  15. #30
    mexitucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,103

    Quote Originally Posted by purple blood View Post
    As long as Highlands keeps taking players from other schools , the competition will be weaker.
    As long as other schools continue to give their athletes reason to leave, the competition will be weaker.

Top