Why did Cooper and Conner voluntarily request to play in 6A?

Page 8 of Anyone care to share the real reason(s)? Advertisement May 5, 15, 04:29 PM #2 Fear the Nation View Profile View Forum Posts Premium Member Join Da... 244 comments | 17371 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #106

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    21,013

    Quote Originally Posted by PigSkin Junkie View Post
    It does make SENSE if you don't play down every year like Some teams i Know. We are playing Highlands, but hey, they're Highlands. And yes, we play NCC but that is Borchers' alma mater and they've been to State like how many times lately?? I guess we could have scheduled a local 4A team instead, like the 'Neers have done.
    Scott replaces Bullit Central on SKs schedule.
    Advertisement

  2. #107

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,541

    Quote Originally Posted by uk#1fan View Post
    Scott replaces Bullit Central on SKs schedule.
    And in SK's defense, the Kenton County BOE is forcing the 3 three county schools to play each other. A few years ago, when Scott was at it's lowest point, they asked out of the series until they could get back on their feet. Now that they have had a few consecutive decent years, Dixie and SK are now back on the schedule.

  3. #108

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by uk#1fan View Post
    So they left 5A because of travel but scheduled Lexington Catholic this year makes since.
    Did I say THAT WAS THE REASON? I said I don't know the reason but that may be one of them, to have their district teams in the same vicinity. Cooper unlike other school, doesn't have problems filling their schedule because they don't look for teams with losing records to schedule every year.

  4. #109

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,651

    It is exciting to see some spirited football discussion in mid-May. No other high school sport elicits this type of passion on BGP.

  5. #110

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    Cincinnati (in body); Louisville (in heart)
    Posts
    1,378

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    What you are saying is Cooper, Conner and Boone County are running away from Highlands and Covington Catholic.

    And I disagree with your overall logic, you have to beat the best teams eventually, it shouldn't matter whether it is early in the playoffs or late in the playoffs.
    Ah, but even if you don't capture state a late playoff sounds more impressive. Let's say for example, that the odds of them winning state (from the administrators' POV) are terrible in 5A and even worse in 6A. However, their odds of winning a regional championship or winning a state semi-final are much better in 6A than in 5A. It is easy to see how an admin might advocate moving up. If they assume the odds of winning State are bad in both classes, then you may as well move into the class where you can at least advance deeper into the playoffs; thus bringing more notice and fame to the school.

    I have no proof that this is their reasoning, but it makes sense to me.

  6. #111

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by psychicscubadiver View Post
    Ah, but even if you don't capture state a late playoff sounds more impressive. Let's say for example, that the odds of them winning state (from the administrators' POV) are terrible in 5A and even worse in 6A. However, their odds of winning a regional championship or winning a state semi-final are much better in 6A than in 5A. It is easy to see how an admin might advocate moving up. If they assume the odds of winning State are bad in both classes, then you may as well move into the class where you can at least advance deeper into the playoffs; thus bringing more notice and fame to the school.

    I have no proof that this is their reasoning, but it makes sense to me.
    If what you say is true and that it is easier to win a Regional championship in 6A than 5A, then Cooper is in great shape seeing how they have already won 2 Regional Championships in the last 3 years in 5A. This should tell you that Cooper at least is where they should be and that is 6A so they can be challenged. So far in the last 6 years there has only been 1 NKY team to win a regional championship in 6A and that was Dixie last year. So according to you, Cooper is right where they should be and that is to be the team in NKY that can win some regional championships and make NKY 6A football relevant again.

  7. #112

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    Cincinnati (in body); Louisville (in heart)
    Posts
    1,378

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    If what you say is true and that it is easier to win a Regional championship in 6A than 5A, then Cooper is in great shape seeing how they have already won 2 Regional Championships in the last 3 years in 5A. This should tell you that Cooper at least is where they should be and that is 6A so they can be challenged. So far in the last 6 years there has only been 1 NKY team to win a regional championship in 6A and that was Dixie last year. So according to you, Cooper is right where they should be and that is to be the team in NKY that can win some regional championships and make NKY 6A football relevant again.
    Interesting. I didn't know they'd won those, though if they had to play Highlands to earn one in the new scheme of things I suspect they would soon go without.

    I will say, and I mean no offense to Cooper when I say this, I doubt a team that has not won a State title in their current division is moving up so that they can be properly challenged.

    Anyway, I am not opposed to their move, I was just speculating on the decision making process of the ones who made it.

  8. #113

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Going by that ridiculous way of thinking then I guess SK should be the only 6A team in NKY because the last 2 years they have beaten everyone but Dixie then right? Since Dixie isn't 6A anymore then Campbell, Boone, and Ryle should also not be in 6A. Great philosophy. Now go and win a 3rd round game in the playoffs

    6A in NKY has been a joke except for last year. Now maybe we can get some teams to actually do something in the playoffs like Dixie did last year because except for then, NKY had really nothing to brag about in 6A in quite a few years.
    A little harsh, don't you think HB?

  9. #114

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by psychicscubadiver View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know they'd won those, though if they had to play Highlands to earn one in the new scheme of things I suspect they would soon go without.

    I will say, and I mean no offense to Cooper when I say this, I doubt a team that has not won a State title in their current division is moving up so that they can be properly challenged.

    Anyway, I am not opposed to their move, I was just speculating on the decision making process of the ones who made it.
    Again, I don't think the move has anything to do with competition. I think it has everything to do with location period.

    When Cooper was built in 2008, the reason they didn't play in the class they would have been assigned to is because most of the teams in their district would have been long road trips. So what they did was played in the 6A class to start off. Do you or anyone else think they wanted to play 6A in the first years of existence because of the competition? Heck no, they knew they would take their lumps. They knew they had no prayer of even competing in the majority of the games. They did it because of location and finances.

    It was a lot easier playing teams in the area instead of traveling 2-3 hours a week to get to games just to play district games. In 2008 I believe Cooper's male enrollment would have been that of a 3A school (Cooper only had 45 male seniors enrolled in the school and a total male enrollment of 408 in 2009). They didn't play in 3A simply because it would have been too expensive and inconvenient to have to travel that far every away game. So instead of playing 3A they played 6A because NKY had all those 6A teams and was much more convenient and financially responsible.

    Cooper didn't have money when they first opened. I still remember my daughter who was cheering telling us the cheerleaders didn't even have practice mats to practice on. They didn't have a lot of things. Shoot they had freshmen players filling out the Varsity roster because they didn't have enough players to even field a team.

    So I'm sorry if I take offense to anyone who says or even hints to the idea that Cooper moved up to 6A because they are avoiding teams in other classes such as Highlands or CCH. If anything Cooper has done anything but avoid or hide from anyone. They've taken challenges they knew they were the underdogs in and faced them head on. Cooper has never nor will ever duck anyone and choose the easy path when it comes to Varsity Football.

    Anyone who suggests Cooper moved to 6A because it is easier than if they stayed in 5A, simply look at their history. When they play up 3 classes when they first became a school instead of playing in a class they had the size for and would have been much easier, well that explains a lot about the character of that team and the character of that coach.


    2008-2009 enrollment
    http://www.khsaa.org/reports/enrollm...alsbyalpha.pdf
    Last edited by Hellbird; May 12, 15 at 08:01 AM.

  10. #115

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY Bandit View Post
    A little harsh, don't you think HB?
    Not when you see what/who I was responding to. The context of the post I was replying to says it all.
    Last edited by Hellbird; May 12, 15 at 08:09 AM.

  11. #116

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    21,013

    I can't wait till Cooper has to play SK in the second round of the playoffs.

  12. #117

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by uk#1fan View Post
    I can't wait till Cooper has to play SK in the second round of the playoffs.
    SK has to get there first.

    Do you want them to play hoping it is at Cooper so you can come see what a Regional Championship trophy looks like?

  13. #118

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,189

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Shouldn't every high school football teams goal be to win the state championship?

    And if so, why in the world would any school(s) voluntarily make it tougher to achieve their primary goal?
    High school team? Yes. School district? No. The Boone County Board of Education could care less about state titles.

  14. #119

    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Posts
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Again, I don't think the move has anything to do with competition. I think it has everything to do with location period.

    When Cooper was built in 2008, the reason they didn't play in the class they would have been assigned to is because most of the teams in their district would have been long road trips. So what they did was played in the 6A class to start off. Do you or anyone else think they wanted to play 6A in the first years of existence because of the competition? Heck no, they knew they would take their lumps. They knew they had no prayer of even competing in the majority of the games. They did it because of location and finances.

    It was a lot easier playing teams in the area instead of traveling 2-3 hours a week to get to games just to play district games. In 2008 I believe Cooper's male enrollment would have been that of a 3A school (Cooper only had 45 male seniors enrolled in the school and a total male enrollment of 408 in 2009). They didn't play in 3A simply because it would have been too expensive and inconvenient to have to travel that far every away game. So instead of playing 3A they played 6A because NKY had all those 6A teams and was much more convenient and financially responsible.

    Cooper didn't have money when they first opened. I still remember my daughter who was cheering telling us the cheerleaders didn't even have practice mats to practice on. They didn't have a lot of things. Shoot they had freshmen players filling out the Varsity roster because they didn't have enough players to even field a team.

    So I'm sorry if I take offense to anyone who says or even hints to the idea that Cooper moved up to 6A because they are avoiding teams in other classes such as Highlands or CCH. If anything Cooper has done anything but avoid or hide from anyone. They've taken challenges they knew they were the underdogs in and faced them head on. Cooper has never nor will ever duck anyone and choose the easy path when it comes to Varsity Football.

    Anyone who suggests Cooper moved to 6A because it is easier than if they stayed in 5A, simply look at their history. When they play up 3 classes when they first became a school instead of playing in a class they had the size for and would have been much easier, well that explains a lot about the character of that team and the character of that coach.


    2008-2009 enrollment
    http://www.khsaa.org/reports/enrollm...alsbyalpha.pdf
    Nicely said,,, I think it would have been a nice district with HHS, Cov Cath, and Cooper. I wish them the best in 6A

  15. #120

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    7,332

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Again, I don't think the move has anything to do with competition. I think it has everything to do with location period.

    When Cooper was built in 2008, the reason they didn't play in the class they would have been assigned to is because most of the teams in their district would have been long road trips. So what they did was played in the 6A class to start off. Do you or anyone else think they wanted to play 6A in the first years of existence because of the competition? Heck no, they knew they would take their lumps. They knew they had no prayer of even competing in the majority of the games. They did it because of location and finances.

    It was a lot easier playing teams in the area instead of traveling 2-3 hours a week to get to games just to play district games. In 2008 I believe Cooper's male enrollment would have been that of a 3A school (Cooper only had 45 male seniors enrolled in the school and a total male enrollment of 408 in 2009). They didn't play in 3A simply because it would have been too expensive and inconvenient to have to travel that far every away game. So instead of playing 3A they played 6A because NKY had all those 6A teams and was much more convenient and financially responsible.

    Cooper didn't have money when they first opened. I still remember my daughter who was cheering telling us the cheerleaders didn't even have practice mats to practice on. They didn't have a lot of things. Shoot they had freshmen players filling out the Varsity roster because they didn't have enough players to even field a team.

    So I'm sorry if I take offense to anyone who says or even hints to the idea that Cooper moved up to 6A because they are avoiding teams in other classes such as Highlands or CCH. If anything Cooper has done anything but avoid or hide from anyone. They've taken challenges they knew they were the underdogs in and faced them head on. Cooper has never nor will ever duck anyone and choose the easy path when it comes to Varsity Football.

    Anyone who suggests Cooper moved to 6A because it is easier than if they stayed in 5A, simply look at their history. When they play up 3 classes when they first became a school instead of playing in a class they had the size for and would have been much easier, well that explains a lot about the character of that team and the character of that coach.


    2008-2009 enrollment
    http://www.khsaa.org/reports/enrollm...alsbyalpha.pdf
    I do not believe the county administration told Cooper to move up to 6a.

Top