Why are St. X and Trinity so good?

Page 8 of Originally Posted by All Tell Whatever you say. If you say that numbers were the deciding factor in the way Trinity (or x for that matter) finished thi... 164 comments | 5225 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #106

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    110

    IMO - First my experience with Government funded schools / football is 30 years old. I prefer Catholic now for faith reasons. I'm not sure why X / T win often. I am glad they do and support the school, education, the religious order that provides leadership to the school, the CSAA that teaches boys how to win, the parents that give up hundreds of hours to coach, coaches that don't have a son that give up year after year for their "adopted" sons, etc. I'm sure others do this as well. This and I can see some advantage with open enrollment. Which is more important?

    Most kids on Trinity and X have played for a Catholic school from 5 grade or before and never considered going anywhere else. They wanted to play Football so they could play on X / T's team.There are kids that practice and do not dress for the game and pay $$ to see their own team on Friday night at X. This probably occurs at Trinity as well. Answer that question and it may explain some of the difference. They are not the best football players but they want to be a part of something bigger. Motivation leads to interest, interest to numbers (albiet a bigger pool) and with a great coaching staff and a team that believes it can, wins. Wins create tradition and tradition creates motivation. Numbers (IMO pool size AND Tradition, Interset etc) and Motivation go together. X / T have more boys - Yes. Do they win often because of that? Only if the other pieces are in place. The lessons along the way feed the results. If you can't answer that, then no amount of disagreement is going to explain. Anyone can have it and it isn't IMO primarily because there are 1500 boys at X / T.
    Advertisement

  2. #107

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    9,141

    Boring.....

  3. #108

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    110

    Boring

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Larry
    Boring.....
    The only boring thing for me is the long weeks after our season is over.

  4. #109
    THEGREENDANDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Full speed or nothing
    Posts
    1,738

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
    I understand your point, but it still does not address the fact that two Louisville schools can get there.
    What in the world due you want? Would you like Louisville teams to compete for a seperate title, or is it just the Catholics?

  5. #110
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,386

    Quote Originally Posted by HailToTheChief
    1)Might have something to do with double the number of male students in the school compared to other 4A schools.
    2)I don't buy the fact that they work harder. I've seen plenty of kids that work hard that don't go to a state championship every year.
    3)Population of Louisville has something to do with it.
    4)They have good coaches but when you have talent like X & T have you are going to look like a good coach whether you are or not.
    5)Facilities don't win games so I'm not going to say that has anything to do with it. (Although facilities do attract top notch athletes to want to play there)
    6)I think the faith based schools for the most part have a very tight bond with each other. But I've seen many public schools that have had kids that played together since they were about 9 years old and that didn't automatically put them in a state championship.

    Overall I would say that it is the number of athletes that they have to choose from in their school and also the fact that there is open enrollment so they have a bigger area to pull people than some other schools.(Although all Louisville schools are open enrollment so this doesn't apply to an advantage over other Louisville schools.) They are great programs but with the number of kids in the school that are male, they should be!
    I think # 1 on your list is by far the biggest reason for these two school's dominance in football. Football is not like basketball. I saw a team picture of St X a few years ago and I counted around 140 players dressed in a uniform. That's more than college programs dress out. Basketball teams usually dress no more than 20 to 25.
    Since X and Trinity are all-male schools of around 1500 students, that's equivalent to a co-ed school of 3,000 students. The next largest schools in the state are schools like Dunbar with about 1900 students. Translation : big advantage to X and T.
    I'm sure there are other reasons for their dominance, as has been listed in this thread, but shear numbers are the main reason imo. It's not that big a factor in basketball because basketball doesn't require the numbers that football does to put a team on the floor.

  6. #111
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor
    I think # 1 on your list is by far the biggest reason for these two school's dominance in football. Football is not like basketball. I saw a team picture of St X a few years ago and I counted around 140 players dressed in a uniform. That's more than college programs dress out. Basketball teams usually dress no more than 20 to 25.
    Since X and Trinity are all-male schools of around 1500 students, that's equivalent to a co-ed school of 3,000 students. The next largest schools in the state are schools like Dunbar with about 1900 students. Translation : big advantage to X and T.
    I'm sure there are other reasons for their dominance, as has been listed in this thread, but shear numbers are the main reason imo. It's not that big a factor in basketball because basketball doesn't require the numbers that football does to put a team on the floor.
    Henderson Co. has an enrollment of 2200. neither X or T is at 1500 its more like 1300. Again if numbers are all it takes why hasnt Henderson Co. won a championship or at the very least made a title game?

  7. #112
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Quote Originally Posted by RunFirst
    We have a good coach... but that's CAN'T be the answer.
    You do have a good coach........and I witnessed several T players attending speed school at Velocity on their own time and paid for out of their (parents) own pocket...They are working harder to achieve a goal....but that's not it either!

  8. #113
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    You do have a good coach........and I witnessed several T players attending speed school at Velocity on their own time and paid for out of their (parents) own pocket...They are working harder to achieve a goal....but that's not it either!
    Your not going to win an adoring public with that answer, just so you know.

  9. #114
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Please explain how the numbers advantage does not translate to basketball. It seems that your argument is that they have a bigger pool of boys to choose from.....if so how come we don't get better basketball players too? We are selecting a team from the same pool of boys. ...and now we only have to find 5 great athletes to put on the floor than 11.

  10. #115
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Ram54
    Your not going to win an adoring public with that answer, just so you know.
    as you know I wasn't trying to...just pointing out how some athletes are working harder by doing more than just going to practice

  11. #116
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    and that extra effort by those T B-ballers has paid off.....they are starting to make some noise on the hardwood.

  12. #117
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    as you know I wasn't trying to...just pointing out how some athletes are working harder by doing more than just going to practice
    Working harder or buying victories?

  13. #118
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    anyone can go to these schools...it's just like Champions baseball camps. only they coach speed. I guess you could say they are buying Championships...because their parents support them when they ask to go to these schools.....can't be parent invovlement either

  14. #119
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    anyone can go to these schools...it's just like Champions baseball camps. only they coach speed. I guess you could say they are buying Championships...because their parents support them when they ask to go to these schools.....can't be parent invovlement either
    Because parents too poor to send their kids to such classes are bad parents?

    This is why I said this tack would be unpopular.

  15. #120
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Ram54
    Because parents too poor to send their kids to such classes are bad parents?

    This is why I said this tack would be unpopular.
    OOOh so all public school parents are poor now? At some time...you have to quit making excuses. Excuses are for the weak. They are for people who are afraid to make the challenging and necessary steps to succeed. Instead of coming up with lame excuses like some parents are too poor or the kids at my school are too smart to play football.....why not adapt and overcome?

    I have to work two jobs to send my kids to private schools. My wife also works 2 jobs....We also have helped coach them in several sports. No excuses! we do what we have to do and what we WANT to do for them. Two of my boys have asked about these speed schools and I will do what I can for them. That's my job...No excuses!

    How's that for unpopular.....The truth always is!

Top