Why are St. X and Trinity so good?

Page 5 of Originally Posted by All Tell Whatever you say. If you say that numbers were the deciding factor in the way Trinity (or x for that matter) finished thi... 164 comments | 5225 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by dr1
    And at the same time throw in the same level of parental support and involvement that backs up the CSAA. Why is there not the same level for the public high schools and the middle school Optimist Clubs football programs?
    Go to an optimist game and you will see kids from several different middle schools. Heck, I had to pick kids up and take them home before. There are not enough kids interested to field teams for individual middle schools or even consolidated 2-3 schools. If these kids looked up to a neighborhood kid that was already playing for a neighborhood school then maybe that would be different. This luxury of neighborhood schools got thrown out with the actions of the mid 70's.
    Advertisement

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    Public schools could pick up a kid in the hall that never played organized team basketball and he could play for most HS teams. I am talking about a kid that played regularly at the park or schoolyard. Try that with a football player. I like to think football IS the ultimate TEAM sport because of this. This comment will probably draw some remarks from soccer and baseball enthusiasts but that is my opinion.

    I happen to be a baseball entusiast, but I agree with you. Baseball is as much an individual sport, as it is a team sport, I think. But, again, there are a lot of little league teams and babe ruth teams one can join to learn baseball outside of school. My son played both Babe Ruth for Fern Creek and for his school team, and then for J-Town Little League and his school 7th and 8th grade. There are tons of club soccer leagues as well.

  3. #63
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Before we finish we may come to the reason why there are so many soccer teams and baseball teams and we have a hard time attracting kids to field football teams. I do know even at the high school level there are a number of kids that come out to play and the first time they get injured, mom or dad makes them quit. There are also a lot of kids that come out because it make them look more well rounded if they put "football" on their college applications.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    Before we finish we may come to the reason why there are so many soccer teams and baseball teams and we have a hard time attracting kids to field football teams. I do know even at the high school level there are a number of kids that come out to play and the first time they get injured, mom or dad makes them quit. There are also a lot of kids that come out because it make them look more well rounded if they put "football" on their college applications.

    We private school supporters aren't all living in another world. Seriously...I honestly think that the BIGGEST advantage for the Catholic private schools is their grade school program...and the second is the fact that most of them are single sex schools....which is another whole debate!

  5. #65
    Thunderstruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Posts
    490

    That may will be the silliest question I have ever seen on this board.

  6. #66
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by raiderbird
    They are so good every year because of the NUMBERS........Plain and simple that is the reason..When you have 1500 boys to choose from your going to be good............

    Really numbers are all you need? Hmm you would think Henderson Co. would have won a few titles then. Heck they should have at least made a final.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    In enemy territory scouting for the future..
    Posts
    10,311

    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA Rotary
    Really numbers are all you need? Hmm you would think Henderson Co. would have won a few titles then. Heck they should have at least made a final.
    They don't have 1500 boys.........either. #"s is the biggest part, not the only, but the biggest.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Jul 05
    Location
    The Ville
    Posts
    710

    Quote Originally Posted by XgradROCKdad
    8 miles apart, 8 years ahead...........
    You mean 8 decades; don't ya XGRD?

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,534

    Quote Originally Posted by raiderbird
    They don't have 1500 boys.........either.
    Didn't stop Male. Male just has an incredible feeder system in Hikes Point similar to the Catholic Grade School System.

  10. #70
    TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,003

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    Then of course you need quality coaching. I am sure there are guidelines that the CSAA uses to approve a coach.
    I might be wrong....as far as I have seen CSAA coaches are usually just dads that have kids in the program.

  11. #71
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDanza
    I might be wrong....as far as I have seen CSAA coaches are usually just dads that have kids in the program.
    That kind of surprises me, but I would think that at some of the programs there would be more than a couple interested parties per coaching position. Am I wrong in thinking this? I vaguely remember a story about one particular program actually searching for a coach, I cannot remember the school though.

  12. #72
    TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,003

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    That kind of surprises me, but I would think that at some of the programs there would be more than a couple interested parties per coaching position. Am I wrong in thinking this? I vaguely remember a story about one particular program actually searching for a coach, I cannot remember the school though.

    Don't get me wrong I am aware of some CSAA schools who have had the same coaches for several years...the other only coach a few years.

  13. #73
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by raiderbird
    They don't have 1500 boys.........either. #"s is the biggest part, not the only, but the biggest.


    Your right they have make due with only 1100. They also have a good coach. Seems kinda strange if numbers and a coach is all you need.

  14. #74
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    I coached several years for a optimist teams and we always had to fill out a background information sheet and I believe they did actually follow through with some checks. Even though alot of people knew me, I can see where some others may question a background or two.

  15. #75
    TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,003

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    I coached several years for a optimist teams and we always had to fill out a background information sheet and I believe they did actually follow through with some checks. Even though alot of people knew me, I can see where some others may question a background or two.

    I take backround checks as a given when working with any kids.......

Top