Why are St. X and Trinity so good?

Page 3 of Originally Posted by All Tell Whatever you say. If you say that numbers were the deciding factor in the way Trinity (or x for that matter) finished thi... 164 comments | 5221 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    93

    2 things. Bottom line. Over 1000 enrollment. All boys. What else?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    XgradROCKdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Posts
    1,721

    8 miles apart, 8 years ahead...........

  3. #33
    HailToTheChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    741

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceMountJoy
    2 things. Bottom line. Over 1000 enrollment. All boys. What else?

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Posts
    715

    I love the country folk!

  5. #35
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    32,911

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    1. Only 11 can play at a time...there is actually a penalty for 12 or more. If this point was valid then X and Trinity would be dominating basketball...they are not. X and T have not been to the finals in many, many years!
    Generally I don't respond in these threads, but this one drew my eye. You cannot seriously believe that the numbers issue boils down to how many you have on the field at a time. Yeah, you can't have more than 11 on the field, but if a team of 70 plays a team that had just 11 players, who is going to win? It's the team that has the ability to substitute. The depth issue is lessened in basketball because there are only 12-15 players and many schools can compete with that. In basketball one dominant player can conquer four very good players on the other team (not saying always, but it happens). In football five great players on one team are many times, maybe even most times are going to lose to a team that just has a host more of consistent and good players. X and T run at teams in waves. Most other teams try to platoon and substitute, but no school can do it like those two. I mean, I read in the CJ last week that Trinity was playing a couple of players both ways for the first time in three years, and it is rarely done at either school. How many schools could do that and get away with it? That's what numbers bring them. Now, perhaps the hard work gives them more ability to take advantage of this, but it begins with the numbers. But hey, that's why they're 4A.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Posts
    729

    Has anybody said coaching? What about the backing of the school system? Everyone has better athletes (for the most part), but T and X's coaches know how to place the talent in the correct postions to win ball games. Did I say coaching?

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Posts
    715

    OK, I'm going back to the 4A State Title thread and enjoy jawing with the x men. I can not handle ANOTHER one of these "numbers" threads, we have all off season for this.
    *back to focusing on the TITLE*

  8. #38
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,475

    Quote Originally Posted by QB42
    Has anybody said coaching? What about the backing of the school system? Everyone has better athletes (for the most part), but T and X's coaches know how to place the talent in the correct postions to win ball games. Did I say coaching?
    I know I'm going to get drilled for this one, and with no disrespect meant for Beatty, Glaser, et. al., but the "coaching" thing for me has always been chicken or the egg. Take a private coach, look at his record at public schools before he got to the private school, does he have the same track record? Or did he just not "put guys in the correct positions" when he was there? Look at LexCath's coach for example. Or, alternatively, are there examples of a private school coach leaving and going to a public school? What is the record there? Coaches are wonderful, they motivate kids, they raise them up to be men instead of whining boys, but I have always believe the system fosters that more than the man. IMO, its all about the Benjamins $$$$$

  9. #39
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Now to reality. Coaching at number 1 AND 5, academics at number 8. The same old "they work harder"? I do not agree with these thoughts. Now talk about parent support and involvement as a whole maybe at some schools more than others. Faith based teaching and common goals, yes! Facilities? Yes! Even St.X without having their own stadium (yet) they do offer some of the finest training facilities around. Numbers in practice have to play the largest part and the extra weeks of pracice year in and year out in post season helps tremendously in developing players. Heck, Sophomores are Juniors by the time the season ends. These extra reps in practices add up to 2 extra spring seasons every year. Traditions that run generations deep is the big "intangible", it is very hard to question the family tradition's role in drawing the dedication and commitment from these kids. The CSAA helps cultivate that desire to follow in the footsteps and carry on the tradition. WITHOUT getting into the argument about enrollment numbers these issues are hard to ignore. So anytime the numbers issue arises, I think all of us can agree that there is an advantage in having the numbers to choose from, BUT those numbers would mean less if there were not the tradition, dedication, etc,etc. Maybe that can be a new stance.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,270

    One thing I could never understand about some of the publics is why they choose to NOT platoon, but play so many of theur players both ways. I know that in some cases it's a must, but look at the numbers Male and Manual dressed, but still had so many playing both ways. It would seem to me that if I played more kids, they might improve, and give a rest to the others. I know not every school has this luxury, but I do think it is an option that not enough use.

  11. #41
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    One thing I could never understand about some of the publics is why they choose to NOT platoon, but play so many of theur players both ways. I know that in some cases it's a must, but look at the numbers Male and Manual dressed, but still had so many playing both ways. It would seem to me that if I played more kids, they might improve, and give a rest to the others. I know not every school has this luxury, but I do think it is an option that not enough use.
    The issue remains the same. The 70 or so that dress for Manual or Male are all they have. Those 70 are not the best of a pool of well over 150 football players to choose from. The 70 or so are all they have, Period! You could throw in another 25-35 FRESHMAN. That would not allow you to platoon though. Scour the hall at Male and Manual and you may convince a couple more athletes to come out but those are not going to be kids that played through grade school. Heck, these kids that you try to choose from will not know alot of the basic rules. For this reason alone I take issue with the "better coaches" platform some are preaching. Male takes heat every year for not playing more bodies and rest their studs a little more, Manual had only 1-2 players getting substantial two-way time. Those 1-2 played probably little more overall than a one-way player through the course of a game because they got rest on Offense or Defense. Not really true two way players. Some people wonder why teams with all the bodies to choose from would need to play anybody both ways, ever. We know though that at times you HAVE to have your very best on the field.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    The issue remains the same. The 70 or so that dress for Manual or Male are all they have. Those 70 are not the best of a pool of well over 150 football players to choose from. The 70 or so are all they have, Period! You could throw in another 25-35 FRESHMAN. That would not allow you to platoon though. Scour the hall at Male and Manual and you may convince a couple more athletes to come out but those are not going to be kids that played through grade school. Heck, these kids that you try to choose from will not know alot of the basic rules. For this reason alone I take issue with the "better coaches" platform some are preaching. Male takes heat every year for not playing more bodies and rest their studs a little more, Manual had only 1-2 players getting substantial two-way time. Those 1-2 played probably little more overall than a one-way player through the course of a game because they got rest on Offense or Defense. Not really true two way players. Some people wonder why teams with all the bodies to choose from would need to play anybody both ways, ever. We know though that at times you HAVE to have your very best on the field.
    You have good point, but I'm not sure you realize just how good. MOST of the kids playing for T & X have been playing since 3rd grade flag football. That's the biggest advantage of ALL for the private schools, but very few want to acknowledge it.

  13. #43
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    You have good point, but I'm not sure you realize just how good. MOST of the kids playing for T & X have been playing since 3rd grade flag football. That's the biggest advantage of ALL for the private schools, but very few want to acknowledge it.
    I can acknowledge that, I grew up in St. X's backyard. Heck, I wanted to play for St. Stephens Martyr. The majority of both X and T are those kids. That in itself is very hard to match.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    I can acknowledge that, I grew up in St. X's backyard. Heck, I wanted to play for St. Stephens Martyr. The majority of both X and T are those kids. That in itself is very hard to match.

    Why doesn't JCPS offer grade school football?

  15. #45
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    They have enough irons in the fire already. They would not want to bother with the governing and financing either. Wait a minute, if there are x amount of kids playing AND paying that would mean alot of $$$$. Maybe they would be interested. Well you could bank on one thing, it would end up being a mess.

Top