Why are St. X and Trinity so good?

Page 11 of Originally Posted by All Tell Whatever you say. If you say that numbers were the deciding factor in the way Trinity (or x for that matter) finished thi... 164 comments | 5225 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #151
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    I guess that mentality is why Mike Glaser, despite 6 State Championships, 2 RU, and over 260 wins, still has never been Coach of the Year. Think there's some jealously?
    How ironic then that Bob Beatty was coach of the year his first season at the healm of a STOCKED cupboard.
    Advertisement

  2. #152

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    St. Matthews, Home of the 2006 and 17 time KY State Champion Trinity Shamrocks
    Posts
    6,464

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8BigBull
    How ironic then that Bob Beatty was coach of the year his first season at the healm of a STOCKED cupboard.
    Sorry, but I don't think you are correct. Beatty won in 2002. His first year was 2000, hardly a stacked cupboard that year yet he took them to the finals losing only to 3A champ Highlands (first game) and 4A champ Male (final game). Along the way he knocked off defending champ St.X. In 2002, his Rocks went 15-0 winning the state title in what many call the greatest game in Kentucky high school history. But I think the real clincher that year was that he led the Rocks to do something that no one thought possible. Beat the D1 Ohio state champion Elder Panthers 44-20. That may be the most important game in Kentucky high school football. The fact is, after defeating X for the title I guess people will have to admit that Coach Beatty is a pretty good coach.

  3. #153
    Lefty6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    712

    There are several other amaller factors that come together to help such as the private school advantages, coaching, support, money, etc.....BUT there is no doubt that the biggest advantage these two schools have is in their size advantage.

    Without that, they would still win championships, but they would be a lot closer to their competition.

    In my eyes, that size advantage really diminishes the stature of their accomplishments. It's much more exciting to see a school come from the middle of the pack in their class to win a title than it is to see a school that is essentially playing down in class every single game win.

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    In enemy territory scouting for the future..
    Posts
    10,311

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty6
    There are several other amaller factors that come together to help such as the private school advantages, coaching, support, money, etc.....BUT there is no doubt that the biggest advantage these two schools have is in their size advantage.

    Without that, they would still win championships, but they would be a lot closer to their competition.

    In my eyes, that size advantage really diminishes the stature of their accomplishments. It's much more exciting to see a school come from the middle of the pack in their class to win a title than it is to see a school that is essentially playing down in class every single game win.

  5. #155

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Lots of bitterness emanating from Danville isn't there?

  6. #156

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,538

    The question was "Why are Trinity and St X so good?". I think you saw the reason last night. They have to be so that they can beat each other. They have to get better every day to stay in step with their rival.

  7. #157
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDanza
    I might be wrong....as far as I have seen CSAA coaches are usually just dads that have kids in the program.
    When I played at St Margret Mary. Neither the Head Coach or the defensive coordinator had sons currently playing on the team. The CSAA was very well run and I agree with rockmom that it is the primary reason for the private school's success.

    What they do VERY well in CSAA is teach fundamentals. This has a enormous effect on both the T and X programs. Our practices were never about beating the other opponet as much as they were about learning to play, it was like an entire season of training camp.

    Like others have said the argument that these schools care more and work harder is so unfair it make my blood boil. I can tell you from experiance that it is much harder and requires a great deal more dedication to show up for practice everyday when your team is losing than when it is winning.

  8. #158
    Lefty6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    712

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    Lots of bitterness emanating from Danville isn't there?

    Why would there be? Danville and Boyle don't compete in this class. Is it so hard to believe somebody could have an objective opinion?

    If everything else were equal - coaching, facilities, tradition, money, etc. - don't you think the odds would favor a team that could draw from a talent pool of twice the size of another team?

  9. #159

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Whatever you say.

    If you say that numbers were the deciding factor in the way Trinity (or x for that matter) finished this season then I say you're wrong.

    Coaching, dedication and discipline were the difference.

  10. #160

  11. Lefty6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Danville
    Posts
    712

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    Whatever you say.

    If you say that numbers were the deciding factor in the way Trinity (or x for that matter) finished this season then I say you're wrong.

    Coaching, dedication and discipline were the difference.
    Way to avoid the question...

    I guess if denial gets you through the night, then more power to you.

  12. #162

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Posts
    715

    I still love the country folk!!!! lol The reason the teams are better was on display last night!!! Amazing

  13. #163

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    How did I avoid the question?

    Yes, I think numbers help but they are not the primary reason that Trinity and X have enjoyed the success thay have.

  14. #164
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam
    When I played at St Margret Mary. Neither the Head Coach or the defensive coordinator had sons currently playing on the team. The CSAA was very well run and I agree with rockmom that it is the primary reason for the private school's success.

    What they do VERY well in CSAA is teach fundamentals. This has a enormous effect on both the T and X programs. Our practices were never about beating the other opponet as much as they were about learning to play, it was like an entire season of training camp.

    Like others have said the argument that these schools care more and work harder is so unfair it make my blood boil. I can tell you from experiance that it is much harder and requires a great deal more dedication to show up for practice everyday when your team is losing than when it is winning.

  15. #165
    Nothingbutnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Posts
    1,445

    Even if you claim that money is a factor, it still comes down to TRADITION!! Why do people want their kids to play football for Trinity or St. X - because they WIN and they showcase a players ability.

    There are other private schools that don't do as well in football and some that don't even have a football team. And why don't Trinity or St. X do as well at basketball?? NO TRADITION!

    Usually the money follows the tradition, whether it be public, private or independent!!

Top