Where's the West?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    84

    Where's the West?

    This year's State finals only has one team from the western part of the state, Mayfield. Goes to show that the rest of us in the western part of the Commonwealth have a lot of work to do. Eastern Kentucky is shining bright right now. Maybe next year we can flip the script.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,220

    With the RPI system, it certainly will not be unusual for parts of the state to be left out of the finals. But these things tend to run in cycles and I'm sure the western part of the state will bounce back soon.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    84

    Although I'm a Paducah Tilghman graduate, I'm pulling for Mayfield.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 19
    Posts
    148

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    With the RPI system, it certainly will not be unusual for parts of the state to be left out of the finals. But these things tend to run in cycles and I'm sure the western part of the state will bounce back soon.
    What does the RPI have to do with regions being left out. How can it affect that?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    35

    Quote Originally Posted by BEChargers View Post
    What does the RPI have to do with regions being left out. How can it affect that?
    Under the old system playing semi states, you were guaranteed one team in each final from the western half and one from the eastern half. Now it can be set up in the semis such that two eastern or two western teams meet in a final, and the other half of the state gets shut out of that final.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 19
    Posts
    148

    It's only "set up" by performance and strength of schedule. It has nothing to do with geography.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,220

    Quote Originally Posted by BEChargers View Post
    It's only "set up" by performance and strength of schedule. It has nothing to do with geography.
    Exactly. Under the old sytem a team from the West was guaranteed a spot in the finals. Now if the 2 best semifinalists are from the East, the West doesn't have a team playing.

    5A this year is a good example. Under the old system, either Owensboro or BG would be in the finals. This year, they both hit the road and lost in the semi's.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 19
    Posts
    148

    OK, I think I misinterpreted your implications. I thought you were saying that they were being done wrong in some way. My bad.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    442

    Far western KY football (from Hoptown to Fulton) has been way down for the past 15 years other than Mayfield and maybe a couple other exceptions sprinkled in here and there. Lone Oak had their run from about 07-10 (no longer a school). Murray had their short run after that. Tilghman won state in 09 but entered the playoffs with just a 4-6 record and got hot at the right time. They had a good season the following year. But other than those back to back seasons, this year was their beat since 03 I think. Hopkinsville just had their best season in a LONG time.

    Teams like Hopkinsville and Tilghman used to be perennial powerhouses and that's just not been the case over these past 15 years. Christian County hasn't been good as of late. Murray used to be good year in year out but that's been a couple decades since they were solid year in year out. Even Marshall County used to be competitive here and there. I don't know what it is but there has definitely been a dropoff in football in Western KY.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,220

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Far western KY football (from Hoptown to Fulton) has been way down for the past 15 years other than Mayfield and maybe a couple other exceptions sprinkled in here and there. Lone Oak had their run from about 07-10 (no longer a school). Murray had their short run after that. Tilghman won state in 09 but entered the playoffs with just a 4-6 record and got hot at the right time. They had a good season the following year. But other than those back to back seasons, this year was their beat since 03 I think. Hopkinsville just had their best season in a LONG time.

    Teams like Hopkinsville and Tilghman used to be perennial powerhouses and that's just not been the case over these past 15 years. Christian County hasn't been good as of late. Murray used to be good year in year out but that's been a couple decades since they were solid year in year out. Even Marshall County used to be competitive here and there. I don't know what it is but there has definitely been a dropoff in football in Western KY.
    Excuse my ignorance on this, but is Bowling Green not considered Western Kentucky (only an hour east of Hopkinsville)? From where I sit in Northern Kentucky, I have always assumed it to be WKY?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    442

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Excuse my ignorance on this, but is Bowling Green not considered Western Kentucky (only an hour east of Hopkinsville)? From where I sit in Northern Kentucky, I have always assumed it to be WKY?
    Considering WKU is in Bowling Green I have to say yes, but if you live in Mayfield, Paducah or Murray no we don't consider it west KY. Bowling Green is 2.5 hours from Mayfield so I personally just don't think of it as western KY. But that's why in my post I stated "from Hoptown to Fulton" because I know people from other parts of the state consider Bowling Green to be west KY and they have obviously had success in the past 15 years, along with South Warren and Franklin-Simpson.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    773

    I agree football has been down in wky for sometime now. I think the skill athletes are good as ever but upfront is where I see the drop off. Just don't see as many D1 linemen or don't see a team where there are 3 to 4 really good linemen on it like I use to see. As far as BG I have to say their part of western ky because that's where WKY university is. That's like saying Richmond is not part of Eastern Kentucky.

Top