What has changed with Mayfield

Page 2 of I have noticed that in the last two games, Mayfield has looked better than the whole season. The team that I saw on Friday night is not the same team I... 36 comments | 1712 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,404

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsvoice
    Hey Hearsay...you wouldn't happen to have a roster of the Tigers you could scan and email?
    I do, but it'll have to be tomorrow. Scanner's at work, don't have one here at house. Just checked school website, does not appear to be one on there, either.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    cardinalsvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    618

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay
    I do, but it'll have to be tomorrow. Scanner's at work, don't have one here at house. Just checked school website, does not appear to be one on there, either.
    Thanks...I appreciate it...I looked on the schools site as well and didnt see one...saw the players and coaching staff...but no roster...

  3. #18

  4. GoBigRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Mayfield, KY
    Posts
    1,291

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsvoice
    Thanks for the compliment...i have been around the game for a long time...grew up with Mayfield football, played mayfield football, and now have the pleasure of watching the team week in and week out...I agree Hatchell has really steped up his play as has the left side of the offensive line...Newport, Hobbs, and Brand have done an outstanding job the past few weeks and the backs and ends are staying with their blocks longer...and of course the backs are running like they are possessed...when you get Hatchell, Rust, and Dumas running downhill they are very tough to stop...all those guys I mentioned plus everyone else will have to play their best game on both sides for us to win. My biggest concern is the lack of blocking that we have gotten some on the extra points...as that one point may play a huge role in the outcome of the game. Also too..I wonder how the status of Aaron Williams left hand is as I know he went out in the 2nd half holding that hand and never came back in...if his left hand is hurting could make catching the snap on the punt a lot more difficult and painful. So many different things you could analyze on this game...I bet all the coaches on both teams do not get any sleep this week thinking of ways to get an added edge this Friday night. If we get the effort and intensity out of the boys this Friday night I feel confident that we can come out with a hard fought "W"...but I bet the Tigers faithful feel the same way.
    I was talking to Aaron's friend at church on Sunday about him and he said that he broke his fingernail or something like that and it shouldn't give him too many problems by Friday, he is still going to start. He is another boy that has really impressed me in the last few games we have played, he is some athlete that I am going to enjoy watching in the years to come, he is only a freshman, right?

  5. cardinalsvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    618

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    I was talking to Aaron's friend at church on Sunday about him and he said that he broke his fingernail or something like that and it shouldn't give him too many problems by Friday, he is still going to start. He is another boy that has really impressed me in the last few games we have played, he is some athlete that I am going to enjoy watching in the years to come, he is only a freshman, right?
    That is good news...but I wish he was a freshman....he is a actually a Junior

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Formerly in Mayfield, KY
    Posts
    1,771

    I say what has changed is the overall attitude!!! Not as much mouthing or finger pointing going on like it was at the first of the season! I too am proud of this team and the strides they have made. I still wish they could keep their jersey's tucked in for an entire game, they look so sloppy out there and it caused Rust to get tackled again last week!

  7. #22
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,143

    No offense people, but this happens every single season. Mayfield loses a few games to bigger schools, people ask, "what is wrong?", then they play schools their size and do well and many try to turn it into the state's feel good story.

    Bottom line, Mayflied has won about 200 regional titles now and were the odds on favorite this season returning a lot of experienced kids in a sub-par region. It is not that difficult to see. Every team goes through a little turmoil, finger pointing, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

  8. #23
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,404

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    I would like one too if you can get one, thanks.
    O.K., I sent the roster to CardinalsVoice, privately, I will post it here if someone can tell me how to attach a phtoscanned document from my desktop.

  9. #24
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,404

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti
    No offense people, but this happens every single season. Mayfield loses a few games to bigger schools, people ask, "what is wrong?", then they play schools their size and do well and many try to turn it into the state's feel good story.

    Bottom line, Mayflied has won about 200 regional titles now and were the odds on favorite this season returning a lot of experienced kids in a sub-par region. It is not that difficult to see. Every team goes through a little turmoil, finger pointing, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    I agree that every team has stories to tell (I'd be interested in looking at any that can be told of this year's Mayfield), adversity to overcome. We place to much emphasis on the strength of respective schedules, districts, etc. Kids play the schedule put in front of them, and they rise and fall to the challenges on a weekly basis. There is no control over the schedule. Look at Bardstown, last year Glasgow and Larue County were considered 2-A powers. This year, those teams were down some and all of sudden we played a "weak" non-dsitrict schedule. Mayfield can't control whether Trigg, Fultons, et. al. are up or down, and they can't be scheduling regular seasons games traveling to central or northern Kentucky. Kids will rise to the challenge of their competition. I fully expect Mayfield to be prepared this week.

  10. #25


  11. Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay
    We place to much emphasis on the strength of respective schedules, districts, etc. Kids play the schedule put in front of them, and they rise and fall to the challenges on a weekly basis. There is no control over the schedule. Look at Bardstown, last year Glasgow and Larue County were considered 2-A powers. This year, those teams were down some and all of sudden we played a "weak" non-dsitrict schedule.
    Bottom line ... the non-district schedule wasn't all that strong. Nelson County was horrible, Glasgow was down and LaRue County was a disappointment. No one is blaming Bardstown or implying that they are ducking people or discounting the fact that they have a great team and a legitimate state championship contender, but it's also true that the schedule wasn't all that strong.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Ho ho ho 4 in a row
    Posts
    6,797

    I am a little suprised that as many people have got on here and given Mayfield a shot at winning this game considering how they seemed to fly on the outer edge of most peoples radar screen most of the year after early season losses. The BGP Poll did have them higher than most of the other polls but still well behind Btown and deservingly so but I am still suprised at the number of voters on the game poll that think we will win.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Formerly in Mayfield, KY
    Posts
    1,771

    I Like It When Mayfield Is The Underdog----lets Them Have A Chip On Their Shoulder!!!

    I'm Excited About Friday!!!

  14. #29
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,404

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    but it's also true that the schedule wasn't all that strong.
    And the teams were handled accordingly.

  15. #30
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,404

    Quote Originally Posted by WKYfootballguy
    I Like It When Mayfield Is The Underdog----lets Them Have A Chip On Their Shoulder!!!

    I'm Excited About Friday!!!
    I dunno how Mayfield gets to be the underdog, 26 semi-state appearances in 30 years? Homefield advantage? Seems like the Tigers are the 'dogs.

Top