What could have been ... good first-round matchups

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    What could have been ... good first-round matchups

    What intriguing first-round games would we have seen under the old playoff format, which saw teams take on schools from another district in the first round?

    These are some of the matchups I would have liked to have seen this week:

    Class A ... Russellville at Murray, Louisville Holy Cross at Danville, Newport Catholic at Raceland

    Class 2A ... Trigg County at Owensboro Catholic, Elizabethtown at Corbin, Sheldon Clark at Breathitt County, Leslie County at Prestonsburg

    Class 3A ... Franklin-Simpson at Hopkinsville, North Bullitt at Southwestern, Doss at Boyle County, Franklin County at Highlands, South Oldham at East Jessamine, Mason County at Bell County

    Class 4A ... Graves County at Henderson County, Marshall County at Owensboro, Manual at North Hardin, Pleasure Ridge Park at John Hardin, Woodford County at Lincoln County, Scott County at Madison Central
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    oneijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Ulysses, KY (a little nowhere between Paintsville and Louisa)
    Posts
    7,196

    You have entirely too much time on your hands, westie...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Maybe so, oneijoe.

    Nevertheless, a lot of those games would appeal more to me than this week's slate ...

  4. #4
    SLINK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    Kentucky Basketball > Every Program Ever
    Posts
    10,850

    KHSAA should have left this alone, maybe draw the Regions in the state semi-finals. The first three rounds were fine as it was.

  5. #5
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    87,452

    I'll take Manual @ St X and NCC @ Holy Cross over the games you listed for NCC and Manual. Plus I'll take a Dixie/Ryle and Boone/Campbell rematch over matching up with the Hardins, Meade and Nelson...

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    I'll take Manual @ St X and NCC @ Holy Cross over the games you listed for NCC and Manual. Plus I'll take a Dixie/Ryle and Boone/Campbell rematch over matching up with the Hardins, Meade and Nelson...
    Welcome to the minority party ...

  7. #7
    Son of Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Makin' it rain
    Posts
    2,371

    The Lexington 4A district playoffs would have looked like this:

    Madison Central @ Lafayette (1)
    Montgomery County @ Henry Clay (2)
    (3) Scott County @ GRC
    (4) Woodford County @ Lincoln County

  8. #8
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    9,657

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    What intriguing first-round games would we have seen under the old playoff format, which saw teams take on schools from another district in the first round?

    These are some of the matchups I would have liked to have seen this week:

    Class A ... Russellville at Murray, Louisville Holy Cross at Danville, Newport Catholic at Raceland

    Class 2A ... Trigg County at Owensboro Catholic, Elizabethtown at Corbin, Sheldon Clark at Breathitt County, Leslie County at Prestonsburg

    Class 3A ... Franklin-Simpson at Hopkinsville, North Bullitt at Southwestern, Doss at Boyle County, Franklin County at Highlands, South Oldham at East Jessamine, Mason County at Bell County

    Class 4A ... Graves County at Henderson County, Marshall County at Owensboro, Manual at North Hardin, Pleasure Ridge Park at John Hardin, Woodford County at Lincoln County, Scott County at Madison Central
    It would certainly feel more like the playoffs if Corbin had to face E-town this week, then if they won that game playing probably Larue Co. the following week. I just cannot see the Corbin fans getting very excited about playing two more district games(hopefully the players don't feel the same way)before getting to see someone new if they advance to the 3rd round.
    I imagine the gate will be at an all-time low at Corbin Friday for a playoff game.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    13,082

    Maybe it's just me BUT something is missing this year.

    Every year at playoff time part of the anticipation was playing against a team that you don't play every year or maybe have never played before. With the new set-up your first two games are definitely against a team that you have played previously and likely every year. IMVHO this reduces the chances for early round upsets and takes some of the excitement away from the playoffs.

  10. #10
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    29,980

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Class 4A ... Graves County at Henderson County, Marshall County at Owensboro
    I mentioned to a couple of people that this certainly could have made life easier for Warren Central and Christian County. Owensboro especially lucks out, trading Marshall County for Grayson County.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by 4chs
    It would certainly feel more like the playoffs if Corbin had to face E-town this week, then if they won that game playing probably Larue Co. the following week. I just cannot see the Corbin fans getting very excited about playing two more district games(hopefully the players don't feel the same way)before getting to see someone new if they advance to the 3rd round.
    I imagine the gate will be at an all-time low at Corbin Friday for a playoff game.
    Gee, that wasn't the way it was supposed to work ...

  12. #12
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Love Your Neighbor
    Posts
    36,096

    I hear you, westsider, and here is another example.

    This past Friday night was the smallest crowd I have seen at a Belfry game in many years. The weather was the biggest reason, no doubt, but nobody expected a close game.

    The game turned out to be a snoozer, Belfry beat Shelby Valley 49-0. They built a halftime lead of 42-0, holding the Wildcats to negative yards and 1 first down, then played the JV and freshmen the rest of the way.

    Now considering these same two teams play again this Friday, and coming off that type of game, how many of the regulars will take a week off and skip the game this week?

  13. #13
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    87,452

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi
    I hear you, westsider, and here is another example.

    This past Friday night was the smallest crowd I have seen at a Belfry game in many years. The weather was the biggest reason, no doubt, but nobody expected a close game.

    The game turned out to be a snoozer, Belfry beat Shelby Valley 49-0. They built a halftime lead of 42-0, holding the Wildcats to negative yards and 1 first down, then played the JV and freshmen the rest of the way.

    Now considering these same two teams play again this Friday, and coming off that type of game, how many of the regulars will take a week off and skip the game this week?
    The flip side would be at places like Ryle and Boone Co. The crowds will be a lot larger because of the new format...

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    I think some things are lost with the change to a new playoff system. As a fan, I like seeing how adjacent districts compare to each other with the head-to-head matchups. I think coaches and players get more excited over a first-round game against a team they don't normally see (and everyone I've talked to feels that way).

    We've always have some rematches in the playoffs, but they were because both teams earned their way to a rematch, and (in most cases) one of them had to do it on the road.

  15. #15
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Love Your Neighbor
    Posts
    36,096

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    The flip side would be at places like Ryle and Boone Co. The crowds will be a lot larger because of the new format...
    I agree and I know the thinking is that two local teams playing each other will draw a bigger crowd than a 1-4 matchup where a big underdog has to travel an hour or two for the game. And for the most part, that thinking is probably true.

    This situation with Belfry is magnified because they just played each other in week 11.

Top