Wayyyy Too Early Top 5 Class 5A

  1. #1
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,351

    Wayyyy Too Early Top 5 Class 5A

    1. Covington Catholic- The Colonels were a cut above the pack, capping off a 15-0 season and finishing as possibly the best team in KY. Kameron Butler and AJ Mayer are both massive losses, but the Colonels will still be very, very good. Casey McGinnis will thrive as the star.

    2. Bowling Green- It is hard to consider 10-3 a down year for most programs, but for Bowling Green it has to be seen that way. Bowling Green will bring back a slew of explosive skill players including QB Beau Buchanan and Vito Tisdale. The biggest question will be replacing Head Coach Kevin Wallace, but he certainly left the pantry stocked.

    3. South Warren- A 43 point turnaround had to be one of the more rewarding achievements of Brandon Smith's early career. The Spartans were the Kings of Corvette City but wer eno match for the buzzsaw from NKY. South Warren will be solid, but it will be hard to keep the Purples down two straight years.

    4. South Oldham- South Oldham has been one of the silently consistent Large schools for the past four or five years. Keaton Martin will be the anchor on a Dragons squad that should once again win double digit games and be a tough out in the playoffs.

    5. Christian County- Christian County went undefeated throughout the regular season but saw their season crash against South Warren. There are big holes to fill for sure, but the Colonels always re-stock with plenty of talent at the skill spots.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Not sure Bowling Green should be in the top 5.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    536

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Not sure Bowling Green should be in the top 5.
    Who would you replace them with?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    13

    I think BG will always be top 5 in this class the team I would have to move out is Christian County. Losing a lot from last season with a 4 year starter at QB and a D1 defensive back who won 3-4 games himself on pick 6, scoop and scores, or a punt return for TD.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    227

    Is this the year Highlands returns to their old form? Are they worthy of a top 10 ranking?

  6. #6
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    630

    No Highlands?
    Don't think they need to be at the top, but they should always be in the conversation. The team that beat them in the playoffs by one point at their place is ranked at 4. Highlands returns a ton on D, the 'birds best 3-4 players on D were juniors and sophomores last year. QB/RB play will be up from last year. I actually like that people are writing them off these days, if they get a few players going both ways (which is a hot issue) they might be a tough squad.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    536

    I actually had Highlands at 5 instead of Christian Co. Birds and Dragons both return a lot this season. Like their chances going forward. Have to see how some positions get filled at the beginning of the season to know for sure.

  8. #8
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    630

    What about Fern Creek? Weren't they one of the favorites last year? Did they lose a lot to graduation?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    Anywhere there is mass
    Posts
    332

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Not sure Bowling Green should be in the top 5.
    ???????????? In what world?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,232

    Highlands will be much better this year. Don’t see them beating CovCath but the talent is certainly there.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    231

    Quote Originally Posted by FallGuy24 View Post
    I think BG will always be top 5 in this class the team I would have to move out is Christian County. Losing a lot from last season with a 4 year starter at QB and a D1 defensive back who won 3-4 games himself on pick 6, scoop and scores, or a punt return for TD.
    You may be correct. However Christian County has over 20 seniors, getting back key players lost to injury, entire online returns (the addition of John Adams as OC should help them), top rusher returns, top Wr returns...Wouldn’t be surprised if this team is better than last yrs.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    Agree with the top three, after that it's a mystery to me.

  13. #13
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5,590

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTiger55 View Post
    You may be correct. However Christian County has over 20 seniors, getting back key players lost to injury, entire online returns (the addition of John Adams as OC should help them), top rusher returns, top Wr returns...Wouldnít be surprised if this team is better than last yrs.
    Big Tiger, Always love your input, but am curious as to this statement with a 4-Yr Starter (Kolbi Langhi - EKU recruit??) at QB graduating along with a Purdue Safety/WR (Cory Trice - hard to replace his athleticism) and I dont recall a WR better than JaQuon Long who also graduates.

    I'm not doom and gloom on Christian County as I think their D will be good, but to expect their offense to be clicking early this coming year is way too much to ask IMO.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    231

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    Big Tiger, Always love your input, but am curious as to this statement with a 4-Yr Starter (Kolbi Langhi - EKU recruit??) at QB graduating along with a Purdue Safety/WR (Cory Trice - hard to replace his athleticism) and I dont recall a WR better than JaQuon Long who also graduates.

    I'm not doom and gloom on Christian County as I think their D will be good, but to expect their offense to be clicking early this coming year is way too much to ask IMO.
    You are correct on the departures. Ellis Dunn is the returning WR I was referring to, Jaquan lined up a lot at TE, but actually was the teams leader in catches. The return of Antonio Abren at LB should help relieve the departure of Cory Trice, kid led the team in tackles as a Soph. Jadonivan McNeal returns as the leading Rusher, behind an Offensive line that will have tons of experience, which I believe will offset the Departure of Kolby Langhi (UK). I think this years team already knows itís identity and Iím putting a lot of stock in the return of coach John Adams who was the OC for the Colonels last two state appearances. Itís very possible that this team could possibly start twenty seniors. Albeit I could be totally wrong for my optimism.

  15. #15
    Pete W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,864

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    What about Fern Creek? Weren't they one of the favorites last year? Did they lose a lot to graduation?
    Fern Creek graduated 27 Seniors including:
    Offensive Line: 4 of 5 starters
    Defensive Line: all 4 starters and 2 others that played heavily in the rotation
    Linebackers: 3 starters, and another
    Defensive Backs: 4 yr starter at CB Damon Durrah (also played WR, returned kicks and punts)
    Wide Receiver: lost 3 including Durrah that played a lot
    Punter: both guys that punted in games are gone both were also starting LB

    The Tigers have good numbers for 2018 but return just 4 on Offense and 3 on Defense.
    Success will depend heavily on how the young guys on both sides of the line do in their new starting roles

Top