Transfers - Why does it bother you?

  1. #1
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    50,901

    Transfers - Why does it bother you?

    Transfers are always a hot topic on here, especially when certain teams get them. I'm curious to know from people who have an issue with transfers, what exactly is your issue?

    I personally have no problems at all with a transfer, whether or not the family moves into a district. They should be able to attend school where they want as long as there is room.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,353

    I like parity in HS sports. Kids transferring because they want to be a part of a super team or because daddy does not think they are getting the playing time they deserve drives me crazy.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Posts
    217

    I have no issues with kids transferring to other schools or districts

  4. #4
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    3,794

    Quote Originally Posted by T-ROCKS42 View Post
    I have no issues with kids transferring to other schools or districts
    Says the fan of a school on the brink of landing an All-State RB...

    No, I kid. I'm with you and Deuce on this one. Play where you want to play. Standardized testing is making a mockery of the "student" in student-athlete anyway. Let them pick where their developing minds go to be, in most cases, stunted.

  5. #5
    SHAMROCK69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Home of the 2012 National Champions " Trinity ROCKS and Kentucky Wildcats"
    Posts
    2,618

    As long as the transfer is done within the rules, who cares. If you want to cry about the rules, change them.

  6. #6
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    11,367

    Only people who get butt hurt about transfers are the schools/ fans who never get transfers.

  7. #7
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    44,598

    Simply put, fix your school and parents won't transfer their children to other schools. In my area, there are three schools that routinely get student transfers more so then the other schools. Those three schools are the highest in the area in test scores, student achievement and the number of students that attend and graduate college. Coincidentally, those three schools do pretty well in sports as well. Schools that do well academically, normally do pretty well athletically.

  8. #8
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,197

    I have no problem with transfers, in fact, I may even be guilty one day of transferring my kid if the set of circumstances calls for it.

    I do have a major problem with illegal recruiting at the high school level and transfers that are non compliant.

    I think that "illegal" transfers and "recruiting" do not happen nearly as much as people think.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,172

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    I have no problem with transfers, in fact, I may even be guilty one day of transferring my kid if the set of circumstances calls for it.

    I do have a major problem with illegal recruiting at the high school level and transfers that are non compliant.

    I think that "illegal" transfers and "recruiting" do not happen nearly as much as people think.
    Trinity senior Rondale Moore transferred in before his junior year but the transfer did not go through until the first or second game into the playoffs that year. I am told that while he was waiting he was an exemplary, honor roll student. This is a transfer success story.

  10. #10
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,197

    Though noone asked for it, here is my .02 on transfers:

    People get all up in arms because it is "sports" related. The way I see it is if a parent wants to give their child an opportunity for success, and they do it by the books (in terms of legitimate change of address, paying tuition, providing transportation), then I applaud them for that.

    People don't bat an eye when someone chooses to send Sally to a private school or a school district where academics are superior. In my mind, there is little to no difference in this compared to trying to better a kids' circumstances whether by increasing the likelihood of an athletic scholarship, playing for a more organized athletic program, playing for a coach that best fits what they want their child to learn under, or being part of a winning culture with increased involvement from the community.

    I think it is silly that simply because of mythical district lines that a parent should not have ultimate say on where their child should attend school if they are willing to play by the rules to send their child elsewhere.


    Now with all that said, if someone is trying to "beat the system", whether on the parent side of things or the school/coaching side of things and are not following the rules, in that case I take issue.

    While I am on the soapbox, I have NO issue with scholarships at the High School Level to less privileged families and students under the exact same guise... that the scholarships are fairly and accurately being handed out.

  11. #11
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    11,197

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Only people who get butt hurt about transfers are the schools/ fans who never get transfers.
    The people who accuse other schools of "recruiting" are the same people who would be the first to log on here and get excited if there was a thread about their school getting a new player that could help them.

    GUARANTEED

  12. #12
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    46,383

    Transfers are fine, just don't go around talking about how great your teams tradition is and how we just work harder than everyone else when the star RB or QB happens to be from some other district, city or county. When Pineville plays Lynn Camp it "Should" be with kids from those communities not an All Star Team picked from the surrounding areas.

    High School Sports at it's core is one city versus another or one county versus another for bragging rights on the field or court. That is no longer what we have in Kentucky or in most states now...I'd be willing to bet there isn't a state champion in Kentucky that drew all of their players solely from their geographic district. I'm sure someone could show me the paper work proving each kid "lives" inside the geographic boundaries but the people that really know what's going on know that's not what's going on. At some point those kids went elsewhere and "legally transferred" into the district to play on a better sports team. And that is fine, just don't tell me how great your little 1A school is compared to everyone else when you are drawing players from a base the size of a 3A or 4A school.

  13. #13
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,117

    I don't necessarily mind transfers for legitimate reasons (new job, death in family, divorce, etc. etc.).

    I do have a problem with the reasons behind some (most) (okay, pretty much all) transfers.

  14. #14
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    50,901

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Though noone asked for it, here is my .02 on transfers:

    People get all up in arms because it is "sports" related. The way I see it is if a parent wants to give their child an opportunity for success, and they do it by the books (in terms of legitimate change of address, paying tuition, providing transportation), then I applaud them for that.

    People don't bat an eye when someone chooses to send Sally to a private school or a school district where academics are superior. In my mind, there is little to no difference in this compared to trying to better a kids' circumstances whether by increasing the likelihood of an athletic scholarship, playing for a more organized athletic program, playing for a coach that best fits what they want their child to learn under, or being part of a winning culture with increased involvement from the community.

    I think it is silly that simply because of mythical district lines that a parent should not have ultimate say on where their child should attend school if they are willing to play by the rules to send their child elsewhere.


    Now with all that said, if someone is trying to "beat the system", whether on the parent side of things or the school/coaching side of things and are not following the rules, in that case I take issue.

    While I am on the soapbox, I have NO issue with scholarships at the High School Level to less privileged families and students under the exact same guise... that the scholarships are fairly and accurately being handed out.
    Agree 100%.

  15. #15
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    50,901

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I don't necessarily mind transfers for legitimate reasons (new job, death in family, divorce, etc. etc.).

    I do have a problem with the reasons behind some (most) (okay, pretty much all) transfers.
    So if someone who as a kid that's a stud RB wants to move to Danville for the sole purpose of playing for the Ads, you have a problem with that?

Top