Transfers - Why does it bother you?

Page 5 of Transfers are always a hot topic on here, especially when certain teams get them. I'm curious to know from people who have an issue with transfers, wha... 117 comments | 11466 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    43,742

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    What do you have to say to demographically challenged and impoverished schools who routinely bleed their highest potential students? Are they supposed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps? You think those schools just sit on their hands and don’t even try?

    The statement from others that people who are upset about transfers are the ones who are fans of schools that don’t get them is accurate in my opinion. But your statement here is a thinly veiled “just work harder.” There is so much more that goes on in some places and in many cases they are, in fact, working their tails off to improve. It doesn’t always yield the desired results.
    Perhaps not, but if your school is underachieving, you can not blame parents for taking their children to a school that will better prepare them for life after high school. What are parents to do, leave their kids at schools that do not prepare their students for college to make a point? In my area, the county school was under control of the state for academic shortcomings, many parents transferred their kids to Raceland. The county school tried to say it the transfers where for football. That's not sound logic to me.
    Advertisement

  2. #62
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    31,641

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Perhaps not, but if your school is underachieving, you can not blame parents for taking their children to a school that will better prepare them for life after high school. What are parents to do, leave their kids at schools that do not prepare their students for college to make a point? In my area, the county school was under control of the state for academic shortcomings, many parents transferred their kids to Raceland. The county school tried to say it the transfers where for football. That's not sound logic to me.
    I've become acquainted over the years with the reality that there isn't a perfect system for evaluating whether a school is preparing them for life after high school. Obviously, I'm drawing on my experience locally with Warren Central and Warren County. Central was demonized for years before the transfer acceleration. When I was there we heard about how poor a school it was, but I can tell you from experience, it wasn't that at all. We had great teachers. I certainly was well prepared for life after high school, but a lot of people thought you couldn't get a good education at Central even then. I can't attest to it in that type of way now since obviously I don't attend there, but I can assure you, they still have good teachers and they still work very hard to educate their students.

    You can certainly be poor and be brilliant and high achieving, and you can be an ESL student that does the same. But numerous studies and experience will show that students who have adopted English and students who come from single parent homes and are impoverished are behind the eight-ball, and are less likely to have sparkling academic records. If a parent judges a school as unfit for their child because it has poor test scores in that type of situation, I don't necessarily blame the parent, but honestly, what do you expect the school to do? Are they being measured on the same scale as schools that don't remotely fit the same criteria? And to use Central as an example, when they were marginalized with districting, it became a matter of time - especially after South Warren opened - before transfers hit them for things other than just academics. Central messed up their football program with hiring practices, but that merely accelerated the issue. Decisions out of their hands pretty much made it academic that they were going to whither and die. It was already happening.

    I'm not suggesting a parent send their child there just to make a point, but your statement was "fix your school". It's insulting. I'd wager that very few, if any, administrations simply decide it isn't worth their effort to try to raise up their school. It's not an issue of simply trying harder, especially as some perceptions take deeper holds.

    I'll leave it with this, and it's something I've said before - there's not a blanket answer to the issue of transferring. Stopping them altogether isn't the answer. But the idea of let anyone transfer any number of times that is bandied about on here from time to time is surely not as well. I don't know what the solution is. But when you see a school bleed students to the point it threatens their very ability to field teams or offer classes and programs, it certainly affects your perception.

  3. #63
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    So woke
    Posts
    22,483

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    Says the fan of a school on the brink of landing an All-State RB...
    Who?

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    330

    It is a shame to see Warren Central struggle while the other schools in Warren county flourish. I can't imagine what those left at the school think. Owensboro played them 2 years ago and they still had talented athletic kids, just not a lot of them. I thought it was just a matter of time before they left also or just decided not to continue playing. A shame either way.

  5. #65
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,845

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    Who?
    That's in reference to superstar Western Hills RB/PR/KR Wandale Robinson, who has been burning it up in 3A for a few years now, and comes from a long family line of superstar athletes. Trinity fans are gonna love him, if they don't already. He's fantastic.

  6. #66
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,845

    Quote Originally Posted by 74devil View Post
    It is a shame to see Warren Central struggle while the other schools in Warren county flourish. I can't imagine what those left at the school think. Owensboro played them 2 years ago and they still had talented athletic kids, just not a lot of them. I thought it was just a matter of time before they left also or just decided not to continue playing. A shame either way.
    What the Warren Co. Schools System has allowed to happen to Warren Central HS is really sad. They've basically given up on a school, it seems.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    330

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    What the Warren Co. Schools System has allowed to happen to Warren Central HS is really sad. They've basically given up on a school, it seems.
    From what I've heard Warren Central's hoop team is pretty good. Their football team.....At one point it looked as if they were going to drop football. I think they went without a win again this year. I feel bad for the kids.

  8. #68
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,845

    Quote Originally Posted by 74devil View Post
    From what I've heard Warren Central's hoop team is pretty good. Their football team.....At one point it looked as if they were going to drop football. I think they went without a win again this year. I feel bad for the kids.
    Yeah, boys' hoops seems to be WC's last thread.

  9. #69
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    So woke
    Posts
    22,483

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    That's in reference to superstar Western Hills RB/PR/KR Wandale Robinson, who has been burning it up in 3A for a few years now, and comes from a long family line of superstar athletes. Trinity fans are gonna love him, if they don't already. He's fantastic.
    Will he have to sit out? I don’t know the rules on transfers.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    338

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    Will he have to sit out? I don’t know the rules on transfers.
    He shouldn’t, at least based on KHSAA transfer rules, because it’s my understanding his family relocated to Louisville.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    143

    Quote Originally Posted by The Truthsayer View Post
    He shouldn’t, at least based on KHSAA transfer rules, because it’s my understanding his family relocated to Louisville.
    His family did not relocate to Louisville. He is staying at Western Hills.

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,446

    As I said earlier, I don’t know anything about the kid. I suppose we’ll know in a couple of days. If he transfers to Trinity, welcome. You’re going to love it. If he is somewhere else, good luck with the rest of high school. Make the most of it.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    330

    Owensboro High School is about to find out about the transfer process first hand as Will Warren former QB at Owensboro Catholic is enrolled at the school. According to KHSAA rules he must sit out a full year from the last time he participated in a varsity sport unless granted an exception. He last played for Catholic Sept. 1, 2017. So unless he's granted an exception (if he plays) he won't get the opportunity to play against catholic. So I guess I will get to see the ins and outs of the transfer process up close and personal.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,534

    Nothing wrong with transferring at all.

  15. #75
    dd734's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    West L.A. - West Lower Alexandria
    Posts
    2,489

    It's easy to justify parents moving their gifted athletic children to top notch sports programs where academics are a high priority as well. I see it commented on all the time.......
    However, to say that some parents don't move their children to a different school for sports reason only is crazy............ I personally know three families that moved their child, or children out of the Campbell County School System, which is ranked #11 in academics for public schools in Ky, to smaller schools that have no where near the academic offerings, just so, not as athletically gifted little Johnny and Susie could make a sports team...... As a parent, I just can't get my mind around this. but it happens....... Students do transfer strictly for sports, it's just easier to put a shine on it, if it's a top academic school they are transferring to. That being said, the better education opportunities are not a bad thing for these students moving to these better schools.

Top