So what is an "offer"?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    461

    So what is an "offer"?

    Is an offer when the coaches say they want you on the team??
    Is an offer when they give you a full scholarship?
    Is an offer when they say they want you on the team but do not have a scholarship?

    What about if you get a letter and they say "wanted to let you know that, after watching your film and reviewing your academic credentials, you are the exact type of student-athlete that we want here at..." or "You have been identified as a potential recruit for us in our 2019 class and our staff is very excited to begin the recruiting process with you!"
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,863

    To me an offer is when the football coach actually offers you a scholarship. When a coach expresses interest it is definitely not an offer. When a coach says he thinks you will fit in nicely at our school, that still is not an offer. An offer is when the coach tells you he is offering you a scholarship and is waiting to hear if you say yes or no.

  3. #3
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    43,268

    "Offer" is when there is a scholarship offered to a prospect.

    "Preferred walk-on" is when there is some kind of guarantee extended by the coach that the prospect will make the team, despite not having a scholarship to offer to the prospect.

    "Interest" is when a coach tells a prospect that they want you on their team.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    338

    What is an offer?

    An overblown and over hyped expression from a school that they will give a player a scholarship to play for them, that just like a commitment from a player is non-binding and can be withdrawn if a better option comes along.

  5. #5
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,547

    What is it when a D-III or non-scholarship program gives an "offer" - are they just offering a roster spot?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,369

    An offer does not have to come along with a scholarship. They are basically saying they have a spot for you on their team. D3 teams such as TMC give many offers.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Location
    Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo !!
    Posts
    490

    An offer is just that an offer. Means nothing until December 21st or Feb 7th. Maybe even later with “Over Signings” and Grey Shirts. I’m learning this the hard way.

  8. #8
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,863

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_F_Fletch View Post
    An offer is just that an offer. Means nothing until December 21st or Feb 7th. Maybe even later with “Over Signings” and Grey Shirts. I’m learning this the hard way.
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you have a backup option. If not, you probably need to reach out to schools and let them know what's going on. Maybe another school will make more of a commitment to you

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_F_Fletch View Post
    An offer is just that an offer. Means nothing until December 21st or Feb 7th. Maybe even later with “Over Signings” and Grey Shirts. I’m learning this the hard way.
    A lot of times it is a chess match. They are looking for the best player and the athlete is looking for the school that best fits him. Sometimes a verbal commit after an offer is made might help secure the deal?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Location
    Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo !!
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    A lot of times it is a chess match. They are looking for the best player and the athlete is looking for the school that best fits him. Sometimes a verbal commit after an offer is made might help secure the deal?
    We verbally committed my son, but unfortunately he was hit with an injury bug. Had to have some surgery. Schools don't like bringing kids in to recover on the clock. So they like to delay their eligibility as much as possible. Give them time to recover, Physical Therapy. Then give them an extra year on the back end of their college career when they are obviously playing their best football. I get it. Just a hard pill to swallow for a 17 year old kid.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_F_Fletch View Post
    We verbally committed my son, but unfortunately he was hit with an injury bug. Had to have some surgery. Schools don't like bringing kids in to recover on the clock. So they like to delay their eligibility as much as possible. Give them time to recover, Physical Therapy. Then give them an extra year on the back end of their college career when they are obviously playing their best football. I get it. Just a hard pill to swallow for a 17 year old kid.
    Bummer. Did they pull the offer or did they want him to attend with no scholly and go a 5th year?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Location
    Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo !!
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Bummer. Did they pull the offer or did they want him to attend with no scholly and go a 5th year?
    Did not pull the offer, situation is still liquid until the 7th. Stay tuned ; )

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    422

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_F_Fletch View Post
    An offer is just that an offer. Means nothing until December 21st or Feb 7th. Maybe even later with “Over Signings” and Grey Shirts. I’m learning this the hard way.
    Sorry that your son is finding it out the hard way. Hope things work out and he's put in the best possible situation. I have one who may be about to get into that race. Hope he enjoys the ride, I don't think Dad will.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 18
    Posts
    164

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_F_Fletch View Post
    We verbally committed my son, but unfortunately he was hit with an injury bug. Had to have some surgery. Schools don't like bringing kids in to recover on the clock. So they like to delay their eligibility as much as possible. Give them time to recover, Physical Therapy. Then give them an extra year on the back end of their college career when they are obviously playing their best football. I get it. Just a hard pill to swallow for a 17 year old kid.
    For starters I would like to say that I’m sure I speak for all in wishing your son the best in his recovery.

    Do you mind if I ask the level of schools that are recruiting him? The injuries?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    9,533

    Quote Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
    For starters I would like to say that I’m sure I speak for all in wishing your son the best in his recovery.

    Do you mind if I ask the level of schools that are recruiting him? The injuries?
    Commited to Toledo.

Top