Should Playoff Games be Played at a Neutral Site?

Page 3 of Just as the thread title asks, should playoff games be played at a neutral site? Maybe rounds 1 and 2 at the higher seed but from the quarterfinals on,... 51 comments | 1308 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    258

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Yes, neutral sites on turf fields would be ideal!

    Some of the semi-final travel times are ridiculous.
    I agree, this would be good.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    49

    I don't understand the need for a comparison to Ohio.

    Let's speak in hypotheticals for a second. Had McCracken won 2 more games they would have hosted the winner of Trinity/Simon Kenton next Friday. Can someone please tell me a turf field anywhere halfway between Paducah and either St. Matthews or Independence? As it stands either Central Hardin or Daviess Co. will now host that game. Same question. Tell me a turf field that is halfway between either any of those schools.

    The bottom line to me is that championship caliber teams will find a way to win regardless of where games are played. If there's this much concern over teams traveling for semi-finals then surely it would also stand to reason that no one should have an advantage of playing in their home city for the championship game, so in years that there is a Lexington area school in any of the championship games, should the games be moved to a "fairer" location?

  3. #33
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    20,090

    Quote Originally Posted by The Truthsayer View Post
    Let's speak in hypotheticals for a second. Had McCracken won 2 more games they would have hosted the winner of Trinity/Simon Kenton next Friday. Can someone please tell me a turf field anywhere halfway between Paducah and either St. Matthews or Independence? As it stands either Central Hardin or Daviess Co. will now host that game. Same question. Tell me a turf field that is halfway between either any of those schools.
    Muhlenberg County is probably closest to center that has turf. It is 138 miles from Trinity and 96 miles from McCracken County.

  4. #34
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    20,090

    Quote Originally Posted by The Truthsayer View Post
    The bottom line to me is that championship caliber teams will find a way to win regardless of where games are played. If there's this much concern over teams traveling for semi-finals then surely it would also stand to reason that no one should have an advantage of playing in their home city for the championship game, so in years that there is a Lexington area school in any of the championship games, should the games be moved to a "fairer" location?
    That's a false equivalent. It isn't so much about playing in home cities as it is about playing at neutral sites. Kroger Field is as much a neutral site for Trinity as it is for Lafayette. Playing at Trinity or at Lafayette isn't quite as neutral.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    373

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    That's a false equivalent. It isn't so much about playing in home cities as it is about playing at neutral sites. Kroger Field is as much a neutral site for Trinity as it is for Lafayette. Playing at Trinity or at Lafayette isn't quite as neutral.
    That would be an advantage to Lafayette because it's much closer to their fans. I would say the same for Trinity if you had suggested Papa Johns.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    161

    They could play at Muhlenberg or in Owensboro. Owensboro Catholic and OHS both have turf fields. Seem to be enough turf fields around now that this could be possible for the semi finals.

  7. #37
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    20,090

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinGa View Post
    That would be an advantage to Lafayette because it's much closer to their fans. I would say the same for Trinity if you had suggested Papa Johns.
    I'd wager just about everything I own that if Trinity and Lafayette played in a state championship game at Kroger Field there would be more Trinity fans in the stadium than Lafayette (or any of the Lexington public schools).

    And I know that "advantage" is more than just fans. It is travel and other factors that disrupt the norms of teams. But I'm not sure the advantage is that big - if there is any at all.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY, USA
    Posts
    170

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    I have always thought that the Semi-Finals 100% should be at a neutral site.

    I think it is silly that something as significant as Homefield Advantage is determined by if it an even or odd numbered year.

    Regional Finals I think it would be ideal, but at the same time with 6 classes and 24 total Regional Finals...finding a site may be very difficult.

    Rounds 1 and 2 should definitely be hosted by the higher seed and the Regional Finals I am indifferent on as mentioned.Semi-Finals I feel strongly should be neutral.

    While we are on the subject, I am not sure why Kentucky is so steadfast that playoff games have to be played on Friday. Other states routinely do Saturday- Day games to help accommodate for travel and work schedules.
    Many coaches / administrators have a hard time thinking outside of the box, thinking that if another school suggests a change of plans, they must be trying to do it for a competitive advantage. Region final Friday night in the BG area has MTSU at WKU at 7, So Warren at BG at 7, Hopkinsville at Franklin-Simpson at 7, Monroe County at Glasgow at 7. Clearly, any suggestion to move a date could have resulted in a bigger gate for any of the HS's involved on Friday. The idea was floated by at least one of the schools and was quickly rejected.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    312

    Seems like there are colleges in enough regions to host two semis and then the final at UK

  10. #40
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    20,090

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear3 View Post
    Many coaches / administrators have a hard time thinking outside of the box, thinking that if another school suggests a change of plans, they must be trying to do it for a competitive advantage. Region final Friday night in the BG area has MTSU at WKU at 7, So Warren at BG at 7, Hopkinsville at Franklin-Simpson at 7, Monroe County at Glasgow at 7. Clearly, any suggestion to move a date could have resulted in a bigger gate for any of the HS's involved on Friday. The idea was floated by at least one of the schools and was quickly rejected.
    Ridiculous, isn't it? Rearranging the games would have helped the gates at every site (and at WKU). But alas...

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    373

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    I'd wager just about everything I own that if Trinity and Lafayette played in a state championship game at Kroger Field there would be more Trinity fans in the stadium than Lafayette (or any of the Lexington public schools).

    And I know that "advantage" is more than just fans. It is travel and other factors that disrupt the norms of teams. But I'm not sure the advantage is that big - if there is any at all.
    I've had to do that before. Not having to travel and having your fans there is a huge advantage over travelling a few hours in a big yellow bus.

  12. #42
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    20,090

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaLuvFootball View Post
    Seems like there are colleges in enough regions to host two semis and then the final at UK
    Keep in mind that some of those colleges are potentially hosting playoff games (NAIA, DII, DIII, etc.)

  13. #43
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,671

    Quote Originally Posted by The Truthsayer View Post
    I don't understand the need for a comparison to Ohio.

    Let's speak in hypotheticals for a second. Had McCracken won 2 more games they would have hosted the winner of Trinity/Simon Kenton next Friday. Can someone please tell me a turf field anywhere halfway between Paducah and either St. Matthews or Independence? As it stands either Central Hardin or Daviess Co. will now host that game. Same question. Tell me a turf field that is halfway between either any of those schools.

    The bottom line to me is that championship caliber teams will find a way to win regardless of where games are played. If there's this much concern over teams traveling for semi-finals then surely it would also stand to reason that no one should have an advantage of playing in their home city for the championship game, so in years that there is a Lexington area school in any of the championship games, should the games be moved to a "fairer" location?
    Warren East, Warren Central, Etown, Nelson Co, Muhlenberg Co.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    312

    There should be enough options for a Friday night game with some playing Saturday or away

  15. #45
    jahearme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    On the 18th, putting for birdie
    Posts
    7,249

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaLuvFootball View Post
    Seems like there are colleges in enough regions to host two semis and then the final at UK
    And these colleges are going to just let a couple of random high school teams use their facility?
    By the time the two schools participating paid for buses, personnel to work the game and whatever the college charged for the use of the facility it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

Top