Should Highlands request to play up in 5A for the 2019-2022 Football Seasons?

Page 3 of I am a firm No on this. The Highlands Football Program needs to get back on its feet. Moving up into a loaded 5A would be very dangerous for Highlands ... 153 comments | 9754 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,506

    Quote Originally Posted by BFritz View Post
    So instead of fixing problems/working harder and trying to improve, just give up?

    When CCH had down years, was there ever talk of them going down a class?

    If moving down doesn't work, is Highlands going to start asking for participation trophies from the KHSAA?
    I wouldn't exactly say that playing in the class your enrollment falls in is giving up.. Highlands has played up for years because they were king of the hill, but they have been on a downward trend and while they did look improved this past season they still have a long way to go to be a threat in 5A, especially with this new realignment. There is nothing wrong with playing in the class that your enrollment numbers land you in. Winning cures a lot of things and IMO, playing in 4A for a few years is what would be best for Highlands in terms of getting things back on track for another run.

    For what it's worth, I'm an Ashland fan and don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just calling it how I see it. I have a ton of respect for the Highlands program and for whatever reason, Kentucky high school football seems to be a little more interesting when Highlands is in the mix of things. That said, as I mentioned before I'm an Ashland fan and Ashland is a 4A school, so by all means play up and stay in 5A if you wish, Highlands was always a huge roadblock for Ashland in the playoffs.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    Seems to me we've had these conversations about good teams in the past. Seems like the great majority of HHS fans would prefer to play up. Let's continue to play up and see what the next few years bring.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Scoutin for SCIT's in the Hills and #MHFGA
    Posts
    5,834

    Quote Originally Posted by goford View Post
    Attachment 65226
    Maybe Highlands should go back to riding bikes and burr haircuts.
    That’s an awesome picture.
    Good ole days! Now, not that that is going to happen, but it was these “little” things that made Highlands different from everyone else back in the day. It’s the “little” things that my high school coach used to preach (and made you believe) that made champions. These are the things that I was told recently by a coach that are happening or going to be implemented into the rise back to the top. From the reports and videos I am seeing, looks like “everyone” got the memo to get it together. Long way to go but at least it’s something.

  4. #34
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    51,580

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    just work harder.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,736

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Wow!!! So if Highlands drops to 4A and doesn’t work out or doesn’t fit BW coaching style etc do they just go ahead and drop to 3A the next go round...

    To be the best you have to beat the best and Highlands has beaten every single team they have ever played regardless of class or size at least once including teams named T/X/Male/Christian Cty/ BG and so on and so on.

    I believe there has only been maybe 2 or 3 teams they have never beaten in 100 Plus yrs and that is because they only played that team once

    I hope the administration at Highlands doesn’t lower their standards any further #suckitupbuttercups
    What is Highlands record against Moeller?

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Scoutin for SCIT's in the Hills and #MHFGA
    Posts
    5,834

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    What is Highlands record against Moeller
    Noted

  7. #37
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,110

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    What is Highlands record against Moeller?
    Whats your point? So what?

    My point is don't succumb to weakening your schedule because that is the easy way out. Go back to your roots and do the things that you did before the meltdown and get better each day.

    Bob Rowe at CovCath recognized this and put a plan of action into place and it took them what 3 coaches and alot of beatdowns from teams not named Highlands to get back on top. A very long road that seemed just like yesterday, CovCath will enjoy a run for the next 4-5 yrs imo

    The scenarios are so eerily similar between Highlands and CovCath less the obvious numbers and the fact that I believe Highlands is still 1 yr from the beginning of the recovery process.

  8. #38
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,110

    Quote Originally Posted by goford View Post
    Attachment 65226
    Maybe Highlands should go back to riding bikes and burr haircuts.
    I see my orange crush Schwinn in the background...

    For the record, that is not a football player sitting in the background. I think that is Jim Jividen who was King of the Hill on Lumley Ave...

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,736

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Whats your point? So what?

    My point is don't succumb to weakening your schedule because that is the easy way out. Go back to your roots and do the things that you did before the meltdown and get better each day.

    Bob Rowe at CovCath recognized this and put a plan of action into place and it took them what 3 coaches and alot of beatdowns from teams not named Highlands to get back on top. A very long road that seemed just like yesterday, CovCath will enjoy a run for the next 4-5 yrs imo

    The scenarios are so eerily similar between Highlands and CovCath less the obvious numbers and the fact that I believe Highlands is still 1 yr from the beginning of the recovery process.
    My point is your post about Highlands beating every single team they have ever played at least once is incorrect. #FakeNews

  10. #40
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,898

    Highlands should not play up in 5A. They need to stay in 4A where it seems they belong. It isn’t 2008 anymore and recent results suggest that the talent isn’t walking the hallways of Ft. Thomas like it used to. When I look at the new 5A schools and the new 4A schools I’m not sold that Highlands will be good enough to win 4A in 2019-2022 let alone 5A. I know folks will say more talent is on the way because people tell me that a lot about Highlands future on the football field. Seeing is believing. All the schools work harder now and all of the schools have improved coaching staffs. Highlands needs to stay in their lane and then go from there.

  11. #41
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,898

    I’d love to know what side of the Brian Weinrich fence people are on that want to continue to play up.

  12. #42
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,110

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    My point is your post about Highlands beating every single team they have ever played at least once is incorrect. #FakeNews
    Like tdyballgame stated...Noted, way to point that out. Hey Pete Rose struck out once

    Nothing fake about the rest, what else you got?

  13. #43
    barrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    1,502

    Highlands has beaten T before?

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,736

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Whats your point? So what?

    My point is don't succumb to weakening your schedule because that is the easy way out. Go back to your roots and do the things that you did before the meltdown and get better each day.

    Bob Rowe at CovCath recognized this and put a plan of action into place and it took them what 3 coaches and alot of beatdowns from teams not named Highlands to get back on top. A very long road that seemed just like yesterday, CovCath will enjoy a run for the next 4-5 yrs imo

    The scenarios are so eerily similar between Highlands and CovCath less the obvious numbers and the fact that I believe Highlands is still 1 yr from the beginning of the recovery process.



    The Highlands seniors to be thank you for your support...

  15. #45
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,110

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Highlands should not play up in 5A. They need to stay in 4A where it seems they belong. It isn’t 2008 anymore and recent results suggest that the talent isn’t walking the hallways of Ft. Thomas like it used to. When I look at the new 5A schools and the new 4A schools I’m not sold that Highlands will be good enough to win 4A in 2019-2022 let alone 5A. I know folks will say more talent is on the way because people tell me that a lot about Highlands future on the football field. Seeing is believing. All the schools work harder now and all of the schools have improved coaching staffs. Highlands needs to stay in their lane and then go from there.
    Good post...Highlands/Dale did set the bar back in 2008 moving forward and alot of folks across the state watched and learned and went to work implementing new programs and the results have been rewarded with success, good for them. Heck, coaches from across the Midwest have visited Highlands football practices during off seasons to watch, study and learn

    See, this is nothing new, Highlands has been the leader of HS football in this state for many many years and have always been known to stay one step ahead of the competition over the decades and during Dales run they were actually 3-4 steps ahead of everyone.

    Recently though, the Jimmies and the Joes have caught up and Highlands is doing nothing to stay out ahead of the competition. JMO

Top