Should Highlands request to play up in 5A for the 2019-2022 Football Seasons?

Page 10 of I am a firm No on this. The Highlands Football Program needs to get back on its feet. Moving up into a loaded 5A would be very dangerous for Highlands ... 153 comments | 9749 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #136

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    FT Thomas has just been named the best school district in the state of KY and in the top 1% in the nation and you want a Superintendent to lose her job over a football team???? Seriously?
    Thats a valid point, Super wasnt fired after pee gate, so why should they be fired for lack of success of the football team.
    Advertisement

  2. #137
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    30,689

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    FT Thomas has just been named the best school district in the state of KY and in the top 1% in the nation and you want a Superintendent to lose her job over a football team???? Seriously?
    Exactly my thoughts too!

    Football classification decision is on the shoulders of the AD and the head football coach.

  3. #138
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    30,689

    Covington Catholic obviously was a great football team this year. In 2016 they went 9-4 and couldn't even make it to the final four in the playoffs. Why are so many people acting like CCH is now Trinity?

    I don't think fear of Covington Catholic is any factor at all in the Highlands class choice.

  4. #139

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,736

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Covington Catholic obviously was a great football team this year. In 2016 they went 9-4 and couldn't even make it to the final four in the playoffs. Why are so many people acting like CCH is now Trinity?

    I don't think fear of Covington Catholic is any factor at all in the Highlands class choice.
    CovCath wasn't the school that beat Highlands the last two years in the playoffs.

  5. #140
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,040

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    FT Thomas has just been named the best school district in the state of KY and in the top 1% in the nation and you want a Superintendent to lose her job over a football team???? Seriously?
    I want accountability for the decision maker(s).

    If the Super wants to delegate the decision to play up or not play up to the Football Coach and AD so be it. But failure means termination for the Football Coach and AD then.

    Otherwise this just turns into the same quagmire you have at Cooper and Conner where the move up in class is a disaster and there is no accountability for the failures.

  6. #141

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I want accountability for the decision maker(s).

    If the Super wants to delegate the decision to play up or not play up to the Football Coach and AD so be it. But failure means termination for the Football Coach and AD then.

    Otherwise this just turns into the same quagmire you have at Cooper and Conner where the move up in class is a disaster and there is no accountability for the failures.
    I think it is a decision for the AD and head coach. However, even if the Super were to make the decision and it turned out to be a disaster, that should not be a reason to terminate. She is in charge of over 3000 students of which 100 play football. Sure in FT it's a high profile program which brings a lot of pride and respect to the school and community. Regardless, it's still only a small part for which she should be held accountable.

  7. #142
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,040

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    I think it is a decision for the AD and head coach. However, even if the Super were to make the decision and it turned out to be a disaster, that should not be a reason to terminate. She is in charge of over 3000 students of which 100 play football. Sure in FT it's a high profile program which brings a lot of pride and respect to the school and community. Regardless, it's still only a small part for which she should be held accountable.
    I hear exactly what you are saying.

    However, the Super can't bury her head in the sand in this process. If I were the Super of Fort Thomas Schools I would require a detailed plan of action from the Coach and AD on how the struggling Highlands Football Program will in fact beat Covington Catholic, Scott County, Bowling Green, Pulaski County, Collins, Johnson Central, South Warren, and Cooper on a consistent basis if Highlands moves up in Class to play 5A Football.

  8. #143
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,446

    It's actually becoming comical now. Highlands football has been successful for over 100 years. They're 2nd in the nation in wins. They have 23 state titles, most of which came when playing up a class.

    People are acting like these last two years is going to be the new norm for Highlands.

    The same people who said there was going to be a dip in success/talent(whatever you want to call it) are the same people telling you that the talent is returning to normal levels. If you believed them when they said there would be a dip, why don't you believe them now when they tell you Highlands should be back to being Highlands in the upcoming seasons.

  9. #144
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,040

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    It's actually becoming comical now. Highlands football has been successful for over 100 years. They're 2nd in the nation in wins. They have 23 state titles, most of which came when playing up a class.

    People are acting like these last two years is going to be the new norm for Highlands.

    The same people who said there was going to be a dip in success/talent(whatever you want to call it) are the same people telling you that the talent is returning to normal levels. If you believed them when they said there would be a dip, why don't you believe them now when they tell you Highlands should be back to being Highlands in the upcoming seasons.
    It IS the new norm for Highlands with their new Coach.

  10. #145
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,446

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    It IS the new norm for Highlands with their new Coach.
    The new coach has a State Title and semifinal in the last 5 years. If you want to put it all on the coach, then you need to start talking about ALL the 6A coaches in NKY and what about the other 5A NKY coaches?

  11. #146
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,040

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    The new coach has a State Title and semifinal in the last 5 years. If you want to put it all on the coach, then you need to start talking about ALL the 6A coaches in NKY and what about the other 5A NKY coaches?
    You know what, all those other schools are not Highlands. But I definitely agree with you that Conner and Cooper (for starters) need to be looking real hard at their football programs and the negative impact playing up in class has had on their football programs.

    And if you want to humor me, how about graphing the current coaches performance using time?

  12. #147
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,446

    2014 = 13-2 State Champ
    2015 = 8-6 Final 4
    2016 = 3-8
    2017 = 6-6

    I'm not saying there haven't been some questionable coaching decisions that may or may not have cost them a win or two here and there. Looks like 16/17 were the noted dip years. I don't care who coached in 2016, they weren't winning anything that year. 2017 they should have won a couple more games, but they weren't winning the title this year either.

  13. #148
    NamecipS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,446

    I can't really speak for Sweep or JOAt or any of the other old schoolers chiming in here, but my interpretation is they're more concerned with how the culture has changed than they are with the wins/losses.

  14. #149

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,116

    I can say that the Super is going nowhere because of the success and/or failure of the football program and you can take that to the bank.

    I also can say that many have zero confidence in the AD and hope is for a replacement that "wants" to do the job and were not placed there because there was nowhere else to put them.

    I also think BW got the "message" loud and clear and things will look a lot different than they have these past few years.

  15. #150
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,040

    Quote Originally Posted by NamecipS View Post
    2014 = 13-2 State Champ
    2015 = 8-6 Final 4
    2016 = 3-8
    2017 = 6-6

    I'm not saying there haven't been some questionable coaching decisions that may or may not have cost them a win or two here and there. Looks like 16/17 were the noted dip years. I don't care who coached in 2016, they weren't winning anything that year. 2017 they should have won a couple more games, but they weren't winning the title this year either.
    I speak Bluebird!

    2014 - Dale's Team
    2015 - Dale's Program
    2016 - Dale used to Coach here
    2017 - New norm in 5A?

Top