Should Cov Cath install lights?

Page 16 of Sounds like they want lights. Good for them. Hope they get it done!... 237 comments | 9305 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #226

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    685

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I can't imagine CCH spending $500k+ to put in lights.
    I have seen the numbers foe Scott and they were around $300,000.00
    Advertisement

  2. #227
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    25,533

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BOY78 View Post
    I have seen the numbers for Scott and they were around $300,000.00
    You know, I was actually thinking about this over the weekend, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a light package designed for a field like Cov Cath's come in a fair amount lower than NKU's soccer stadium (which is what I where I was getting my numbers)...maybe even somewhere closer to Scott's number.

    The lighting we installed at NKU was pretty top-of-the-line stadium lighting - key word, "stadium". The lighting was designed to be on very tall aluminum poles, set back a good way from the field on the periphery of the soccer stadium.

    Wooten Field is a good bit smaller than the soccer stadium, and there isn't as much room for the lights to be set back as there is at NKU - thus not requiring the lighting system to be as large as they are at NKU, or perhaps Ryle to give a comparative stadium light design. They could also see about cutting out cost by using wooden utility poles instead of aluminum. Not exactly sure where those costs would come in, but that's something to take into consideration, I suppose.

  3. #228
    Crash Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    "Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life."
    Posts
    8,955

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    You know, I was actually thinking about this over the weekend, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a light package designed for a field like Cov Cath's come in a fair amount lower than NKU's soccer stadium (which is what I where I was getting my numbers)...maybe even somewhere closer to Scott's number.

    The lighting we installed at NKU was pretty top-of-the-line stadium lighting - key word, "stadium". The lighting was designed to be on very tall aluminum poles, set back a good way from the field on the periphery of the soccer stadium.

    Wooten Field is a good bit smaller than the soccer stadium, and there isn't as much room for the lights to be set back as there is at NKU - thus not requiring the lighting system to be as large as they are at NKU, or perhaps Ryle to give a comparative stadium light design. They could also see about cutting out cost by using wooden utility poles instead of aluminum. Not exactly sure where those costs would come in, but that's something to take into consideration, I suppose.
    Not anymore. KHSAA has strict lighting guidelines. Concrete and metal only.

  4. #229
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    25,533

    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis View Post
    Not anymore. KHSAA has strict lighting guidelines. Concrete and metal only.
    Wow, I wouldn't have figured building materials would really be a discussion that the KHSAA had much interest in getting into. Obviously the amount of light that the field has to be supplied with is a concern of theirs, but I wonder why they have much of an interest in the means by which the lighting is supplied.

  5. #230
    Crash Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    "Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life."
    Posts
    8,955

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Wow, I wouldn't have figured building materials would really be a discussion that the KHSAA had much interest in getting into. Obviously the amount of light that the field has to be supplied with is a concern of theirs, but I wonder why they have much of an interest in the means by which the lighting is supplied.
    I'm sure there is one episode somewhere in the US that made everyone enforce more stringent lighting standards. Definitely safer but extremely costly. I'm sure this makes up for a HUGE chunk of the change.

  6. #231
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    25,533

    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis View Post
    I'm sure there is one episode somewhere in the US that made everyone enforce more stringent lighting standards. Definitely safer but extremely costly. I'm sure this makes up for a HUGE chunk of the change.
    I just looked up their lighting standard. It says "Wood poles, direct burial steel poles, or direct burial steel sub base poles are not recommended." Not exactly sure if that means they won't allow them, or if they'd just prefer something else, but they're definitely not wanting schools to install on wood utility poles.

    But yes, you're right about the cost of the aluminum poles...I would actually be willing to bet that a single aluminum pole would cost about the same as all of the wood poles put together.

  7. #232
    ThrillVille Cardinal51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Louisville,KY----From NKY
    Posts
    5,374

    Just spit balling cheaper options... We could just have everyone bring their own flashlight.

  8. #233
    Theoldguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    13,982

    First light pole is up with lights. :-)

  9. #234
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    8,858

    It's a non-issue now it seems, but LED Sports Lighting is the future.

    My company just did all the lighting for the Braves' SunTrust Park including the LED sports lighters. It would blow your mind how awesome those are. Little to no glare whatsoever, no start-up or cool down time in case of blackout (on that subject they stay so cool anyway blackout is highly unlikely), and obviously energy savings as well.

    The price point to go LED probably doesn't make sense yet at the High School level, but in the case of CovCath it would have previously solved all their problems in terms of people complaining about glare.

    Name:  suntrust.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  267.1 KB

  10. #235
    Purple88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    4,128

    From a selfish point of view, I hope they don't get them as it allows for an early playoff game and you could make 2 games instead of 1. I really wanted CovCath to beat Fern Creek last year to set up the Regional Final for a 2 for 1 gameday!!!

  11. #236
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders, will soon be forgotten.
    Posts
    19,297

    40 years ago.

  12. #237
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    25,533

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple88 View Post
    From a selfish point of view, I hope they don't get them as it allows for an early playoff game and you could make 2 games instead of 1. I really wanted CovCath to beat Fern Creek last year to set up the Regional Final for a 2 for 1 gameday!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    40 years ago.
    They light poles are being erected today: Lights At Wooten Stadium

  13. #238
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    125,946

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    They light poles are being erected today: Lights At Wooten Stadium
    Thanks CWB, I just posted a picture of the lights going up from today in that thread.

Tags for this Thread

Top Should Cov Cath install lights?