Should certain programs choose not to play for state title?

View Poll Results: Should some schools opt out of state playoffs?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 54.76%
  • No

    19 45.24%
  1. #1
    thsrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    3,351

    Should certain programs choose not to play for state title?

    There are several teams in each class that have no shot at winning a state title or even a playoff game. The schools could choose not to play for the state title and form their own "league" and compete among themselves.

    I can name Jeffersontown, Seneca, and 5 winless Class 6A teams to start the list. I am not trying to be a jerk about this. Some of these schools simply do not have the talent and the resources to field a team capable of winning a district, let alone the state title. This list would include teams that have "scheduled" a few wins versus smaller programs.

    What are your thoughts?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Mayfield
    Posts
    3,331

    Fulton City... need I say more?

  3. #3
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Deplorable
    Posts
    21,943

    Quote Originally Posted by snakesnot_2000 View Post
    Fulton City... need I say more?
    To expand on this, would the KHSAA allow City, County and Hickman to merge strictly for football?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    367

    Ask the players?

  5. #5
    The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Somewhere between Possum Trot and Black Gnat
    Posts
    30,291

    They should just work harder

  6. #6
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,696

    Simply put:. No.

  7. #7
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,217

    Some already do. I believe Grant County is one of those schools this year. I may be mistaken, but I think they would be in the 5A CCH, Highlands, Dixie Heights district if they chose to play.

  8. #8
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,217

    From the KHSAA website. These schools will not compete in any district, therefore, will not be in playoffs this year or next.


    Not Placed in Alignment
    – Clinton County, Eminence, Grant County, Jenkins

  9. #9
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,217

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    From the KHSAA website. These schools will not compete in any district, therefore, will not be in playoffs this year or next.


    Not Placed in Alignment
    – Clinton County, Eminence, Grant County, Jenkins
    I am not sure KHSAA would allow them to play for their own championship. Unfortunately, there will never be parity in high school sports.

  10. #10
    brooksville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    694

    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    They should just work harder
    Haha if only that was the case. Ignorant statement IMO.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,685

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Some already do. I believe Grant County is one of those schools this year. I may be mistaken, but I think they would be in the 5A CCH, Highlands, Dixie Heights district if they chose to play.
    Pendleton County did this a few years ago as well. It allowed them to choose their schedule and get a program off the ground without getting pummeled in district play. I think in the right circumstances, this can be a good idea and even save a program.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,142

    Quote Originally Posted by thsrocks View Post
    There are several teams in each class that have no shot at winning a state title or even a playoff game. The schools could choose not to play for the state title and form their own "league" and compete among themselves.

    I can name Jeffersontown, Seneca, and 5 winless Class 6A teams to start the list. I am not trying to be a jerk about this. Some of these schools simply do not have the talent and the resources to field a team capable of winning a district, let alone the state title. This list would include teams that have "scheduled" a few wins versus smaller programs.

    What are your thoughts?
    I'd say there are quite a few more than several. In reality, there are only a handful of teams in each class that are capable of winning a state title in any given year.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    638

    I said no as well. I don't see how they could have their own title! but I understand where this is coming from. Then again this year in 6A There have been talks of no Kentucky team even scoring on them. So does any of the other 6A teams even have a chance this year?

  14. #14
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    38,745

    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    They should just work harder
    Well played.

  15. #15
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    38,745

    Quote Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
    Haha if only that was the case. Ignorant statement IMO.
    That is a joke that goes back for years.

Top