Should certain programs choose not to play for state title?

Page 2 of There are several teams in each class that have no shot at winning a state title or even a playoff game. The schools could choose not to play for the s... 36 comments | 2223 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Should some schools opt out of state playoffs?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 54.76%
  • No

    19 45.24%
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    29

    the problem for a bunch of schools is the way the state slots the district schedules now, meaning certain weeks are all district games across the state for the most part. The schools that drop out would have extreme travel or go out of state to be able to schedule games unless multiple schools in there area did the same thing. I think this keeps a lot of schools from going that route.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    161

    It'll get to a point wherr most one seeds will have byes because the 4th seed will forfeit. Other than your city school districts, there aren't many 4-1 upsets. But i believe there should be some type of system, that if your a your a team with multiple losing seasons, you're forced to be out of classification until you can be competitive. There are 16? Winless teams in all classes and lots of 1 win teams currently. If its a pattern of losing seasons, KHSAA needs to remove them from classification.

  3. #18
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    61,966

    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    They should just work harder

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    361

    Do they not already have the ability to play a non-region schedule? We have that those here in Georgia for teams that are awful and want to try and build up a program.

  5. #20
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    What about a region state championship

    Jefferson
    Fayette/Scott/Madison
    Northern KY
    Midwest
    West
    Southern
    Eastern

  6. #21
    brooksville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    701

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    That is a joke that goes back for years.
    Sorry I havenít been around for years haha but I can see how this joke originated. You have to play the cards you are dealt

  7. #22
    thsrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    3,381

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinGa View Post
    Do they not already have the ability to play a non-region schedule? We have that those here in Georgia for teams that are awful and want to try and build up a program.
    All district games are mandated by the KHSAA. If you choose not to play for district, you may play any 10 games you want.

    People don't always understand Trinity playing Seneca. Trinity must play Seneca because they reside in District 3.
    Years ago, Western tried to get permission to forfeit a playoff game to Trinity and the KHSAA denied approval. The KHSAA also warned Western they would be fined and possibly face probation if they failed to show up.

    Instead of 33 teams in 6A, I'd like to see 24 playing for the state title. Currently, it is a year-to-year decision by each school. I do not think it is every two years.

  8. #23
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,442

    I posted this in another thread that we discussed this in but....

    There should be an independent classification for teams that do not want to pursue a state championship.

    (this would probably reduce the state championship classifications back down to 5, maybe even 4 due to number of teams)

    Let the teams in the independent classification schedule just as they do now, they can play each other during the district weeks.

    Then in week 11 (first round of playoffs currently) allow them to have 4, 5, 6 how many ever you need, sites to have a bowl game type setup where just those independent teams go against each other. Do it at all the small colleges in the state. 3 to 4 games on that first playoff Saturday. Give them something to play for and build their program for, but not a state championship.

  9. #24
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    19,923

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I posted this in another thread that we discussed this in but....

    There should be an independent classification for teams that do not want to pursue a state championship.

    (this would probably reduce the state championship classifications back down to 5, maybe even 4 due to number of teams)

    Let the teams in the independent classification schedule just as they do now, they can play each other during the district weeks.

    Then in week 11 (first round of playoffs currently) allow them to have 4, 5, 6 how many ever you need, sites to have a bowl game type setup where just those independent teams go against each other. Do it at all the small colleges in the state. 3 to 4 games on that first playoff Saturday. Give them something to play for and build their program for, but not a state championship.
    So are you for that in every sport?

  10. #25
    ColonelMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Location
    Pegasus Sports Network - Oldham County, KY
    Posts
    4,043

    No.

    There will always be - every year - teams in every class of every sport that cannot win the title. That's sports. If we were to do this, we'd need to have about 25 classes....each with around 10 teams with about the same perceived chance of winning their respective class... LOL

  11. #26
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,442

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    So are you for that in every sport?
    Yes, I think its a team sport thing though and not so much for the individual sports.

  12. #27
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,442

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelMike View Post
    No.

    There will always be - every year - teams in every class of every sport that cannot win the title. That's sports. If we were to do this, we'd need to have about 25 classes....each with around 10 teams with about the same perceived chance of winning their respective class... LOL
    It wouldnt be like that, honestly Id say max in my senorio you would have about 22 to 26 teams that would be in the Independent Classification.

    Again, no one wants them in the playoffs anyways, so why not give them an out, but also give them something to strive for.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    5,157

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Yes, I think its a team sport thing though and not so much for the individual sports.
    In volleyball you would have 4-6 competing for a State Championship (if they are realistic) and everyone else independent.

  14. #29
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,442

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdracman23 View Post
    In volleyball you would have 4-6 competing for a State Championship (if they are realistic) and everyone else independent.
    With charter schools coming, that will change.

  15. #30
    Pete W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,755

    Quote Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
    Sorry I havenít been around for years haha but I can see how this joke originated. You have to play the cards you are dealt
    I think this was from a speech at Nike Coaches clinic in Louisville given years ago by Urban Meyer when he was at Florida. He basically implied that some of the most successful teams in KY HS football were like that because they worked harder. It was not well received. I donít think he understood how it sounded but it insulted about 3/4 of the large crowd of hundreds of coaches. It wasnít at a small clinic but at the large speech in the evening in the ballroom.
    Not to start a debate but Urban has been at Notre Dame, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State, he hasnít exactly roughed it. And not saying that coaches at the power high schools donít work hard but itís a different animal at some programs. Urban wouldnít understand the different struggle to coach at a Shawnee or Iroquois. The budget only allows a handful of coaches, most neighborhood kids go elsewhere if they want to play sports, keeping players eligible is one of the biggest struggles, and more.

Top