Ryle 2018

Page 2 of What does Ryle need to do to improve in 2018? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive. 0 0 0    ... 105 comments | 23582 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by Fear the Nation View Post
    I think Greg's best achievements are not just getting the best lineman on the team to perform at a D1 level but to get the below or average lineman to perform as a very good cohesive unit technique wise.
    Agree 100% with you on this. My concern is that Ryle hasnt had much size the last few years on the the line from the youth level. Now I get it kids grow but the starting point is less than what it has been. I think Ryle will have to transition a bit from a size power type Line, to a agile quickness type line. That could be a good thing and add some new wrinkles.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Location
    Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo !!
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Agree 100% with you on this. My concern is that Ryle hasnt had much size the last few years on the the line from the youth level. Now I get it kids grow but the starting point is less than what it has been. I think Ryle will have to transition a bit from a size power type Line, to a agile quickness type line. That could be a good thing and add some new wrinkles.
    From what I understand there a a couple of lineman coming in as Freshman from RA Jones that are already pretty big. They won’t be playing varsity, but will develop in years to come. But they do only have 1 starter returning in Jake Gideon. The other Junior starter from last year unfortunately decided to no longer playing football.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Union, Ky. Up on top the pressbox @ Ryle football games.
    Posts
    5,323

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Agree 100% with you on this. My concern is that Ryle hasnt had much size the last few years on the the line from the youth level. Now I get it kids grow but the starting point is less than what it has been. I think Ryle will have to transition a bit from a size power type Line, to a agile quickness type line. That could be a good thing and add some new wrinkles.
    Pitfalls of closed districts in public school.. Play with whom you have. I'm confident that the staff will find a scheme that fits our ability and gives us the best chance on the field.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    45

    The incoming Freshman class has a ton of size. The Freshman line will average around 220 and will be improved from last year. Most of the bigs now wrestle and will be a lot better at hand fighting in the trenches. This class has size all over the skilled positions also. Their running back is already 6' 175, along with the tight end and other receivers 6' plus.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,182

    Quote Originally Posted by Union Raider View Post
    The incoming Freshman class has a ton of size. The Freshman line will average around 220 and will be improved from last year. Most of the bigs now wrestle and will be a lot better at hand fighting in the trenches. This class has size all over the skilled positions also. Their running back is already 6' 175, along with the tight end and other receivers 6' plus.
    Yeah I would say that is a good sized Frosh Line and Back.

  6. #21
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,316

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_F_Fletch View Post
    From what I understand there a a couple of lineman coming in as Freshman from RA Jones that are already pretty big. They won’t be playing varsity, but will develop in years to come. But they do only have 1 starter returning in Jake Gideon. The other Junior starter from last year unfortunately decided to no longer playing football.
    This district is drawn weird. I don't get how a kid at RA Jones M.S. winds up at Ryle H.S. and not Boone H.S. Same happened with Jackson Saladin. I was real happy when he and my son played BCPWFL on the same team and thought about the two of them teaming up at Boone. Then his Mom said he would go to Ryle. I know it's legit, but "Dang it!"

    Oh well, "That's how the ball bounces." Or should I say, "That's how the line is drawn"?

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Location
    Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo !!
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    This district is drawn weird. I don't get how a kid at RA Jones M.S. winds up at Ryle H.S. and not Boone H.S. Same happened with Jackson Saladin. I was real happy when he and my son played BCPWFL on the same team and thought about the two of them teaming up at Boone. Then his Mom said he would go to Ryle. I know it's legit, but "Dang it!"

    Oh well, "That's how the ball bounces." Or should I say, "That's how the line is drawn"?
    Yeah it is weird. I don’t know where these boys live or where Jackson lives, but there a couple of neighborhoods on Dixie Hwy between Mt Zion and Frogtown where RA Jones kids end up at Ryle. But your right, Saladin would help any team. The kid racked up like 80 tackles in 4 games as a Soph during the playoffs on a pretty stacked Dedense a few years ago playing along side what are now 2 D1 wall on LB’s (Jackson High at UK and Colin Demetrakus at UL). That’s pretty good company as a Soph.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 15
    Posts
    100

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_F_Fletch View Post
    From what I understand there a a couple of lineman coming in as Freshman from RA Jones that are already pretty big. They won’t be playing varsity, but will develop in years to come. But they do only have 1 starter returning in Jake Gideon. The other Junior starter from last year unfortunately decided to no longer playing football.
    Burch not coming back?

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    How does the new middle school in boone county effect things going forward.

  10. #25
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,316

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    How does the new middle school in boone county effect things going forward.
    I don't really know about that. It will be near Cooper H.S. and so those kids will probably go to Cooper, but not necessarily. Some kids who were at Camp Ernst, which is farther away from Boone than the new M.S., some how wound up at Boone H.S., so your guess is as good as mind.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Union, Ky. Up on top the pressbox @ Ryle football games.
    Posts
    5,323

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    I don't really know about that. It will be near Cooper H.S. and so those kids will probably go to Cooper, but not necessarily. Some kids who were at Camp Ernst, which is farther away from Boone than the new M.S., some how wound up at Boone H.S., so your guess is as good as mind.
    Some kids at Gray ended up at Cooper which is a stones throw from Ryle HS. The middle school districts do not mirror the HS districts.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Location
    Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo !!
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjack View Post
    Burch not coming back?
    From what I understand, no

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    314

    Quote Originally Posted by Union Raider View Post
    The incoming Freshman class has a ton of size. The Freshman line will average around 220 and will be improved from last year. Most of the bigs now wrestle and will be a lot better at hand fighting in the trenches. This class has size all over the skilled positions also. Their running back is already 6' 175, along with the tight end and other receivers 6' plus.
    Last year's freshman offensive line actually played well as a unit, the depth at skill positions and QB play were the weak spots from that team.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Jun 15
    Posts
    39

    Arguably the #1 kicker in KY this year, Mason Molique - Senior 2019 kicker/punter. Huge experience as this will be his 4th year at the Varsity starter. Never hurts to have a weapon like that on Special Teams. Greatly improved punting, and expect majority of KO's in the endzone when allowed to kick deep!
    Time will tell how this team comes together this season. Some questions to be answered by players stepping into the lime light this year. Lots of potential, but those questions will be answered come Friday Nights.
    RB will be a beast if he remains healthy, huge upside to K. England! OL at Ryle always produces with Coach Ryan at the helm, and J. Gideon back. Defense has some strong returners, but will depend if they can remain healthy and some other guys step up to fill spots vacated from last season.
    Should be another interesting and fun season in Union!

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Union, Ky. Up on top the pressbox @ Ryle football games.
    Posts
    5,323

    I miss the fireworks after Ryle Touchdowns and games. Wish they would find a sponsor to get them back. Added to the atmosphere for sure.

Top