Page 4 of Just for fun, how do the remaining teams rank when stacked up against one another? I'll try: 1. Bowling Green 2. Scott County 3. Highlands 4. Collins 5. DeSales 6. Wayne County... 75 comments | 3483 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfieldsportsfan View Post
    I don't know who would have won between Mayfield and Newcath but I do know that you didn't give Beechwood credit for making NCC look bad in the game. Came out flat or it was their worst game of the year is just an excuse. They were flat and it was their worst game of the year because of Beechwood. Beechwood was better THAT night.

    The last time NCC beat Mayfield wasn't because Mayfield came out flat or it was thier worst game. It was because NCC was twice as good as Mayfield. True.
    Also, forgot one thing. By far the huge problem with comparing scores is that it can be VERY inaccurate. For example, in 2010 CovCath lost to NCC by 7, Highlands by 7, and Ryle by 54. It's pretty clear that doesn't mean Ryle is 47 points better than either team. 2010 was a crazy year though, it was pretty much the kind of year where I feel a good amount of teams could have competed with just about any team other than Trinity. It definitely would have been fun to see matchups that year like NCC vs. Highlands, or NCC vs. Mayfield, etc.

  2. #62
    Premium Member mexitucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    9,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfieldsportsfan View Post
    I don't know who would have won between Mayfield and Newcath but I do know that you didn't give Beechwood credit for making NCC look bad in the game. Came out flat or it was their worst game of the year is just an excuse. They were flat and it was their worst game of the year because of Beechwood. Beechwood was better THAT night.

    The last time NCC beat Mayfield wasn't because Mayfield came out flat or it was thier worst game. It was because NCC was twice as good as Mayfield. True.
    It was their worst game. Mayfield had a lot of players who visibly quit after it got to a 14 pt. lead. That was the opinion of many Mayfield fans, and I agreed with it.

  3. #63
    Premium Member mexitucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    9,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfieldsportsfan View Post
    I don't know who would have won between Mayfield and Newcath but I do know that you didn't give Beechwood credit for making NCC look bad in the game. Came out flat or it was their worst game of the year is just an excuse. They were flat and it was their worst game of the year because of Beechwood. Beechwood was better THAT night.

    The last time NCC beat Mayfield wasn't because Mayfield came out flat or it was thier worst game. It was because NCC was twice as good as Mayfield. True.
    This is at least the 100th time that VOR and I have discussed this classic. I've stated many, many times previously that Beechwood came out and punched NewCath in the mouth. They earned the 17pt. lead b/c NewCath didn't respond. Once they did, they stormed back. There are years that Beechwood is better, and there are years that NewCath is better. I believe that 2010 NewCath was much better than they showed in that one game. So, if That team showed up against Mayfield, Mayfield wins by 21+. If the NewCath team that played throughout the course of the season showed up, who knows. I just know that NewCath in 2010 had everything that they needed and was better than the '05 team.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    This is at least the 100th time that VOR and I have discussed this classic. I've stated many, many times previously that Beechwood came out and punched NewCath in the mouth. They earned the 17pt. lead b/c NewCath didn't respond. Once they did, they stormed back. There are years that Beechwood is better, and there are years that NewCath is better. I believe that 2010 NewCath was much better than they showed in that one game. So, if That team showed up against Mayfield, Mayfield wins by 21+. If the NewCath team that played throughout the course of the season showed up, who knows. I just know that NewCath in 2010 had everything that they needed and was better than the '05 team.
    Completely agreed. The 2010 team was just special and was a very confident team. They knew they could just run it down your throat with their huge O-Line and insane running game, they also knew they had good enough receivers in Doyle, Bhola, Cain, etc. The defense was just crazy good though; unlike this year's team they had literally no glaring weakness on defense.

  5. #65
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 13
    Posts
    150
    Scott Co is the best team playing at WKU this weekend. Bowling Green is 2nd. Highlands is 3rd. The rest of the teams could all beat each other on any given day......with the exception of Williamsburg. Its tough for a 1A team to compete with the big boys of higher classes

  6. #66
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 13
    Posts
    150
    NCC team of '10 wouldve beaten Mayfield that year for sure. They were huge and ran the ball down your throat

  7. #67
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 01
    Posts
    15,313
    Love when someone says "for sure" when discussing a hypothetical game. Nothing's for sure, and THAT's for sure.
    oldoc and Maroon Beech like this.

  8. #68
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 13
    Posts
    150
    For sure, most of the things discussed on here are for sure hypothetical situations.....for sure we can give our for sure give opinions
    75center likes this.

  9. #69
    Guide BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandgold View Post
    And Mayfield still only beat a Paducah Tilghman team that year by 3. NCC's losses came against a Ryle team that beat Highlands (a game in which NCC fumbled about 3 times and still came within 3 scores), and a fluke against Beechwood. Not exactly as easy as you say it is.
    Can't have it both ways blueandgold. In a post above you use the Beechwood NCC game as an example of a rivalry game and rivalry games are just different. Then here when talking scores between Tilghman and Mayfield, you completely dismiss the fact that this is also a rivalry game...and quite possibly the BIGGEST rivalry game in the state. It's one or the other, can't be both.

  10. #70
    Premium Member HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    The land of cotton
    Posts
    5,205
    To me in the olden days it would have been a lot of fun to have all the state champions play a 4 team playoff after the class title games. Probably drag things out too long though and with 6 it would definitely be hard to do and take too long.
    oldoc likes this.

  11. #71
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Mayfield
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    It was their worst game. Mayfield had a lot of players who visibly quit after it got to a 14 pt. lead. That was the opinion of many Mayfield fans, and I agreed with it.
    That was the rumor.I talked to a few of the parents of NCC players and thats what was told to them by their boys and if it's true it's a shame. We were better than we played, we beat Bardstown who was #1 going into the semi's. NCC was very good and had a great QB as I recall. NCC deserved the victory. My son was on that team and it was his last game, I guarentee he was not one of the one's who gave less than their best effort.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    Can't have it both ways blueandgold. In a post above you use the Beechwood NCC game as an example of a rivalry game and rivalry games are just different. Then here when talking scores between Tilghman and Mayfield, you completely dismiss the fact that this is also a rivalry game...and quite possibly the BIGGEST rivalry game in the state. It's one or the other, can't be both.
    Well if he counts the NCC-BW game as a true measurement, then so should PT-Mayfield. I personally don't put too much if any stocks in rivalry games. I just sit back and enjoy them and realize the circumstances.

  13. #73
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Mayfield
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandgold View Post
    Well if he counts the NCC-BW game as a true measurement, then so should PT-Mayfield. I personally don't put too much if any stocks in rivalry games. I just sit back and enjoy them and realize the circumstances.
    Why do you care so much whether or not NCC could beat Mayfield in 10?? You can go back 3 years and read all the posts that have been done on here (there are lots of them )about this game that never happened. There is no time machine to make this happen.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by snakesnot_2000 View Post
    Why do you care so much whether or not NCC could beat Mayfield in 10?? You can go back 3 years and read all the posts that have been done on here (there are lots of them )about this game that never happened. There is no time machine to make this happen.
    Well VoR brought it up, it's all just hypothetical though.

  15. #75
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,259
    The 2010 Mayfield team was special, as well. Undefeated. Only 1 close game all year. Beechwood is the only comparative score and Mayfield handled them 38-14 on the road and NCC lost to them 40-39 at home. Every ranking service out there had Mayfield ranked ahead of NCC, so, anyone who says "for sure" NCC would have beaten Mayfield, is simply drinking the blue and gold koolaid. I thought both teams looked dominant in there state championship games. Mayfield had Jordan Brown, William Higginson, Razorback and Deion Jackson all catching passes with electric speed. 2 of those are playing for Murray St now and Deion likely will be playing somewhere next year. The 2 Jacksons at LB were as good a pair of LBs that Mayfields ever had. That team had speed all over the place and an experienced line to boot. A couple of those lineman are also playing college ball right now. Don't know who would have won that hypothetical game, but, from someone who saw them both play, I'd like the Cardinals chances.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 10
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSCardinal View Post
    The 2010 Mayfield team was special, as well. Undefeated. Only 1 close game all year. Beechwood is the only comparative score and Mayfield handled them 38-14 on the road and NCC lost to them 40-39 at home. Every ranking service out there had Mayfield ranked ahead of NCC, so, anyone who says "for sure" NCC would have beaten Mayfield, is simply drinking the blue and gold koolaid. I thought both teams looked dominant in there state championship games. Mayfield had Jordan Brown, William Higginson, Razorback and Deion Jackson all catching passes with electric speed. 2 of those are playing for Murray St now and Deion likely will be playing somewhere next year. The 2 Jacksons at LB were as good a pair of LBs that Mayfields ever had. That team had speed all over the place and an experienced line to boot. A couple of those lineman are also playing college ball right now. Don't know who would have won that hypothetical game, but, from someone who saw them both play, I'd like the Cardinals chances.
    False. NCC was ranked #7 in the state on maxpreps that year, Mayfield #8. We can disagree on who we think would win this hypothetical matchup, but it would have been an awesome game.