Probability of competing beyond High School

Page 3 of Originally Posted by InItToWinIt I'm about as far from a parent as can be, so you are probably right. I just know that my parents spent a ton of money ... 50 comments | 2765 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Posts
    112

    This is great NCAA information, but does anybody know if NAIA has any similar information to compare?
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Anderson View Post
    This is great NCAA information, but does anybody know if NAIA has any similar information to compare?
    NAIA has 24 full rides. They 99% of the time split that up with Muti kids. Very few full rides. If any.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    NAIA has 24 full rides. They 99% of the time split that up with Muti kids. Very few full rides. If any.
    Correct. I always thought they did the same as DI baseball
    and basically split the scholarships
    up among as many players as possible.

  4. #34
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Given the scant few kids who have the chance to go on and legitimately get a "full ride" playing ball in college, I feel like there should be more people like me who find the whole AAU/travel team/competitive/club sports industry to be one ridiculous racket, and a colossal waste for the overwhelming majority of families who clean out their life savings to chase a scholarship for their kids, most of whom land on a JV roster at an NAIA school with a partial ride, paying as much as they would if they'd just saved their money and gone to a state school in the first place.

    For those who do pursue this pipe dream, there are local chambers of commerce and business associations and municipal tax coffers at your tournament destinations that thank you for your support, not to mention gasoline sellers.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Given the scant few kids who have the chance to go on and legitimately get a "full ride" playing ball in college, I feel like there should be more people like me who find the whole AAU/travel team/competitive/club sports industry to be one ridiculous racket, and a colossal waste for the overwhelming majority of families who clean out their life savings to chase a scholarship for their kids, most of whom land on a JV roster at an NAIA school with a partial ride, paying as much as they would if they'd just saved their money and gone to a state school in the first place.

    For those who do pursue this pipe dream, there are local chambers of commerce and business associations and municipal tax coffers at your tournament destinations that thank you for your support, not to mention gasoline sellers.
    I agree. If a small school gives you 20,000 a year in aid but your out another 20,000....

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,532

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    I agree. If a small school gives you 20,000 a year in aid but your out another 20,000....
    I've coached high level summer baseball, and middle school football. Parents know my background as a former D1 athlete, and ask me how they can make sure their kids can get a scholarship. I tell them to buy them books and tutors.

  7. #37
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,686

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Given the scant few kids who have the chance to go on and legitimately get a "full ride" playing ball in college, I feel like there should be more people like me who find the whole AAU/travel team/competitive/club sports industry to be one ridiculous racket, and a colossal waste for the overwhelming majority of families who clean out their life savings to chase a scholarship for their kids, most of whom land on a JV roster at an NAIA school with a partial ride, paying as much as they would if they'd just saved their money and gone to a state school in the first place.

    For those who do pursue this pipe dream, there are local chambers of commerce and business associations and municipal tax coffers at your tournament destinations that thank you for your support, not to mention gasoline sellers.
    While this may be accurate in some cases, let's not forget that AAU tournaments/club/competitive sports are fun for the kids too. And in the end, that is what most parents' goals are: For their kid to have fun.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I've coached high level summer baseball, and middle school football. Parents know my background as a former D1 athlete, and ask me how they can make sure their kids can get a scholarship. I tell them to buy them books and tutors.
    I agree. Some small colleges cost around 50,000+ a year. Even if you got 20,000 paid for. Is a sport worth 30,000 a year to play?? Why not just enroll in a state school close to home live at home and save tons of money. It's sad a kid can come out of school and owe 100,000$.

  9. #39
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Quote Originally Posted by InItToWinIt View Post
    While this may be accurate in some cases, let's not forget that AAU tournaments/club/competitive sports are fun for the kids too. And in the end, that is what most parents' goals are: For their kid to have fun.
    I just don't agree with that. Sure, parents want their kids to have fun, but there's other motives there as well. And those parents often invest so much in their kids' "fun" while chasing that scholarship that they sometimes put undue pressure on their kids to perform, specialize, etc. I know lots of kids for whom it stopped being fun a long time ago, and became a job.

  10. #40
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,686

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I just don't agree with that. Sure, parents want their kids to have fun, but there's other motives there as well. And those parents often invest so much in their kids' "fun" while chasing that scholarship that they sometimes put undue pressure on their kids to perform, specialize, etc. I know lots of kids for whom it stopped being fun a long time ago, and became a job.
    I'm about as far from a parent as can be, so you are probably right. I just know that my parents spent a ton of money when I played AAU and I do not go to school on a full ride. But the lessons I learned and fun I had was worth it to them.

  11. #41
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Quote Originally Posted by InItToWinIt View Post
    I'm about as far from a parent as can be, so you are probably right. I just know that my parents spent a ton of money when I played AAU and I do not go to school on a full ride. But the lessons I learned and fun I had was worth it to them.
    Have you ever asked them to do some accounting on all they spent on your trips, now that you're a few years removed from it? They love you and would do anything for you at that age, especially if they can afford it. But a lot of parents can't afford it, really, and expect a return on that investment, especially if they view sports as the best option towards getting their kid into college and not having it cost them a third mortgage.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jul 14
    Location
    last outpost in Western Ky
    Posts
    337

    Look at it this way. If a NAIA college pays $20,000 of a $40,000 education and the kid makes up another $8,000- $10,000 in scholarships/work study etc, a parent is out $10,000 a year. It costs a little more than that to pay full price with no scholarships somewhere else and the kid doesn't get to play ball. Guarantee the connections made at a small college playing football will pay dividends faster in getting a good job than at a state school where you are just a number graduate with no sports connections. Those elite small colleges usually have alumni that make it happen for kids upon graduation.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by truecardinalfan View Post
    Look at it this way. If a NAIA college pays $20,000 of a $40,000 education and the kid makes up another $8,000- $10,000 in scholarships/work study etc, a parent is out $10,000 a year. It costs a little more than that to pay full price with no scholarships somewhere else and the kid doesn't get to play ball. Guarantee the connections made at a small college playing football will pay dividends faster in getting a good job than at a state school where you are just a number graduate with no sports connections. Those elite small colleges usually have alumni that make it happen for kids upon graduation.
    What NAIA cost only 40,000 for a degree?? Georgetown ky is 40,000 a year.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Scoutin for SCIT's in the Hills and #MHFGA
    Posts
    5,834

    Quote Originally Posted by truecardinalfan View Post
    Look at it this way. If a NAIA college pays $20,000 of a $40,000 education and the kid makes up another $8,000- $10,000 in scholarships/work study etc, a parent is out $10,000 a year. It costs a little more than that to pay full price with no scholarships somewhere else and the kid doesn't get to play ball. Guarantee the connections made at a small college playing football will pay dividends faster in getting a good job than at a state school where you are just a number graduate with no sports connections. Those elite small colleges usually have alumni that make it happen for kids upon graduation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    What NAIA cost only 40,000 for a degree?? Georgetown ky is 40,000 a year.
    He said a year.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Jul 14
    Location
    last outpost in Western Ky
    Posts
    337

    In addition to my comments on NAIA ball. The kids playing are every bit as talented as many D1 players. In most cases just run 4.7s/8s instead of 4.5s or 2 inches too short. Its really, really good football. At the end of the day, the kids going to the NFL from college is like being struck by lightening, so go play football where you can in college!!

Top