Paintsville 28 Lynn Camp 27

Page 6 of Originally Posted by oneijoe For years and YEARS most of the county fans decided to be Tiger fans during football season. After all, who could blame th... 95 comments | 3517 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76
    RNCSportsaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Posts
    1,783

    Quote Originally Posted by oneijoe
    I think I agree with gish's statement - the '01 Tiger team had more overall talent. This year's team is pretty close with skill players, but the former team was better in the trenches.
    :
    Give this year's team the Tiger O and D line of '01 and they would run completely over most teams. Also having a player like Ryan Brown in the middle of the D'Line would force a lot of double teams and free up other defenders to make plays. I think think both teams play/played as a TEAM and that and that is the most important factor.
    Advertisement

  2. #77
    TRUE REDHOUND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Corbin, Ky.
    Posts
    1,295

    Not trying to start a rumor or make stuff up, that is what heard from a reliable source

  3. #78

    Quote Originally Posted by oneijoe
    I think I agree with gish's statement - the '01 Tiger team had more overall talent. This year's team is pretty close with skill players, but the former team was better in the trenches.

    Admittedly, I was no Paintsville fan through that time. However...I've always been a hard-core football fan and have kept up with most of the area teams (and I'm certainly old enough to have a recollection ).

    I'm not disputing anything either way.

    I was just kidding around with Gish. I know he is a young man.

  4. #79

    Quote Originally Posted by RNCSportsaholic
    Give this year's team the Tiger O and D line of '01 and they would run completely over most teams. Also having a player like Ryan Brown in the middle of the D'Line would force a lot of double teams and free up other defenders to make plays. I think think both teams play/played as a TEAM and that and that is the most important factor.
    I think I might give the receiver corps the edge in '01 also. I remember a couple of good ones.

  5. #80
    RNCSportsaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Posts
    1,783

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    I think I might give the receiver corps the edge in '01 also. I remember a couple of good ones.
    No comment.

  6. #81
    oneijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Ulysses, KY (a little nowhere between Paintsville and Louisa)
    Posts
    7,196

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    I'm not disputing anything either way.

    I was just kidding around with Gish. I know he is a young man.


  7. #82
    BrewDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    435

    Quote Originally Posted by stick1
    Is that football or basketball? I'm not saying that he is a lock as Coach of the year becasue there are several guys that are in that category. To try to hide the fact that a first year coach that many people questioned as a hire in the first place hasn't done a great job sure sounds like sour grapes. You can pull the 0-1 record but I would hope a school that has almost 4 times the boys would win in football on a regular basis. I agree that is by no means the toughest Region in football but the bottom line is they have gotten the job done in the playoffs up to this point which is what the top programs do!
    I've heard this comment on here before. Who in the world questioned him? I live here, and know that almost everyone was excited about BMR as head coach.

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    1,912

    Quote Originally Posted by stick1
    Is that football or basketball? I'm not saying that he is a lock as Coach of the year becasue there are several guys that are in that category. To try to hide the fact that a first year coach that many people questioned as a hire in the first place hasn't done a great job sure sounds like sour grapes. You can pull the 0-1 record but I would hope a school that has almost 4 times the boys would win in football on a regular basis. I agree that is by no means the toughest Region in football but the bottom line is they have gotten the job done in the playoffs up to this point which is what the top programs do!
    I never said that Bill Mike has not done a great job for a first year head football coach. I know that he was an integral part of the Paintsville staff for many years before accepting the head coach job. I was refuting the claim that Bill Mike is the best football coach in Johnson County. He isn't, and he won't be until Jim Matney retires or moves on. That is no knock on Bill Mike, but he is spotting Matney too many years of head coaching experience to ever catch up with him. To proclaim BMR as the best football coach in the county after one season is WAY premature.

    Now if you want to start another thread to compare Bill Mike's football coaching resume to Matney's, I would be glad to participate. Both men are fierce competitors, and both are excellent coaches. But there is no doubt that Matney is the better football and wrestling coach and Bill Mike is a better basketball and baseball coach.

    You are also right that JC should dominate the series with Paintsville, which is what it has done in the two years it has had Matney at the helm. Bill Mike could be a legitimate Coach of the Year candidate every year and Paintsville will still be lucky to win one game out of ten against JC with Matney there. Football is a numbers game, and JC has a huge edge in that area.

  9. #84
    BrewDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    435

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino
    I never said that Bill Mike has not done a great job for a first year head football coach. I know that he was an integral part of the Paintsville staff for many years before accepting the head coach job. I was refuting the claim that Bill Mike is the best football coach in Johnson County. He isn't, and he won't be until Jim Matney retires or moves on. That is no knock on Bill Mike, but he is spotting Matney too many years of head coaching experience to ever catch up with him. To proclaim BMR as the best football coach in the county after one season is WAY premature.

    Now if you want to start another thread to compare Bill Mike's football coaching resume to Matney's, I would be glad to participate. Both men are fierce competitors, and both are excellent coaches. But there is no doubt that Matney is the better football and wrestling coach and Bill Mike is a better basketball and baseball coach.

    You are also right that JC should dominate the series with Paintsville, which is what it has done in the two years it has had Matney at the helm. Bill Mike could be a legitimate Coach of the Year candidate every year and Paintsville will still be lucky to win one game out of ten against JC with Matney there. Football is a numbers game, and JC has a huge edge in that area.
    You're exactly right Dino. He's an excellent coach, and as long as he coaches football he will be dominate, or at least be very competitive, with the other 9 opponents on Paintsville's typical schedule. Central has turned the corner, and it will be lopsided for many years to come. The mass exodus of good players has ended, and the only players who will leave now are the weak ones (as evidenced by the past year...the whiners and troublemakers...good riddins). Paintsville is having a big kick out of their playoff success, as they should, but when they turn it this way and demean our program, or even "tongue in cheek" suggest that they are better than Central, or their coach is better, they invite a hard reality check. Get back, little sister.

  10. #85

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    1,912

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewDog
    You're exactly right Dino. He's an excellent coach, and as long as he coaches football he will be dominate, or at least be very competitive, with the other 9 opponents on Paintsville's typical schedule. Central has turned the corner, and it will be lopsided for many years to come. The mass exodus of good players has ended, and the only players who will leave now are the weak ones (as evidenced by the past year...the whiners and troublemakers...good riddins). Paintsville is having a big kick out of their playoff success, as they should, but when they turn it this way and demean our program, or even "tongue in cheek" suggest that they are better than Central, or their coach is better, they invite a hard reality check. Get back, little sister.
    I wish Paintsville all the success in the world for 9 games (plus the playoffs) each year. I also do not blame players for jumping ship in the past, nor do I begrudge anybody who wants to leave in the future. Between 2001 and 2003, I would have transferred too had I been in those players shoes and been able to afford a bona fide change of residence.

    I think that the people who put down Johnson Central and Coach Matney are a small (but vocal) minority at Paintsville, and I try not to let them get under my skin. I would love to see Paintsville upset Pikeville and Newport Central Catholic to make it to the state finals. I don't think that it will happen, but I will be pulling for Bill Mike and the Tigers to bring home a championship.

    Physically, this is the best looking Paintsville team that I have seen in many years. I was shocked at how easily JC handled them this year. This Tiger team would have beaten the Golden Eagles in most past years, IMO. If Matney had taken the job the first time it was offered, I believe we would be riding a five-game winning streak.

  11. #86
    Sidelines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    1,553

    Isn't this about Paintsville Lynn Camp???????????????????????????????????????

    Why can't some of you all just move onto basketball, now that, that sport is in season for you?????

    I am soooooooo glad you have Matney!!! He is a great coach. The "Be all- end all" to hear some!!! I am happy some are satisfied with dominating Paintsville for the last 2 years!!! That is something to be very proud of as well!!! Puts you right up there with Pikeville....almost!!

    The one thing I am tired of hearing is, that JC will continue to dominate Paintsville in football from now on!!! Pure fortune tellers!!!! You need to set a booth up during Apple Day! Trust me when I say that Paintsville has lost to some of the best....IMHO....JC still isn't one of them, but they have been pretty good the past 2 years!!!

    Now....can we have our thread back???

  12. #87
    MY ADIDAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    In Da House
    Posts
    209

    Amen Sidelines. These guys get on here and praise their program like they have accomplished something. Honestly, Matney is a solid coach but what has he done? Brewdog and Dino, congrats on a great SEASON. Not post SEASON. He may very well beat Paintsville but how long are you gonna be happy with one and out in the playoffs? Forget that question. Talk to you next football season!!!

  13. #88

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    1,912

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidelines
    Isn't this about Paintsville Lynn Camp???????????????????????????????????????

    Why can't some of you all just move onto basketball, now that, that sport is in season for you?????

    I am soooooooo glad you have Matney!!! He is a great coach. The "Be all- end all" to hear some!!! I am happy some are satisfied with dominating Paintsville for the last 2 years!!! That is something to be very proud of as well!!! Puts you right up there with Pikeville....almost!!

    The one thing I am tired of hearing is, that JC will continue to dominate Paintsville in football from now on!!! Pure fortune tellers!!!! You need to set a booth up during Apple Day! Trust me when I say that Paintsville has lost to some of the best....IMHO....JC still isn't one of them, but they have been pretty good the past 2 years!!!

    Now....can we have our thread back???
    The JC posts were in response to a cheap shot taken at Johnson Central's coach - and it was not made by one of our fans. The team that eliminates Paintsville from the playoffs this season will not need to be anywhere as good as Johnson Central.

  14. #89
    BrewDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    435

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino
    I wish Paintsville all the success in the world for 9 games (plus the playoffs) each year. I also do not blame players for jumping ship in the past, nor do I begrudge anybody who wants to leave in the future. Between 2001 and 2003, I would have transferred too had I been in those players shoes and been able to afford a bona fide change of residence.

    I think that the people who put down Johnson Central and Coach Matney are a small (but vocal) minority at Paintsville, and I try not to let them get under my skin. I would love to see Paintsville upset Pikeville and Newport Central Catholic to make it to the state finals. I don't think that it will happen, but I will be pulling for Bill Mike and the Tigers to bring home a championship.

    Physically, this is the best looking Paintsville team that I have seen in many years. I was shocked at how easily JC handled them this year. This Tiger team would have beaten the Golden Eagles in most past years, IMO. If Matney had taken the job the first time it was offered, I believe we would be riding a five-game winning streak.
    Well, I disagree with transferring when you're school's program is down, or going through hard times (with rare exception). Kids generally don't decide to transfer and leave their friends. Parents usually decide for them, for all the wrong reasons, and that's what stinks. But, that's just my opinion.

  15. #90
    Sidelines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    1,553

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino
    The JC posts were in response to a cheap shot taken at Johnson Central's coach - and it was not made by one of our fans. The team that eliminates Paintsville from the playoffs this season will not need to be anywhere as good as Johnson Central.
    Okay....I must have missed the post with the cheapshot. Are you talking about someone's oppinion about BMR being the best coach in Johnson County???
    Oh well.....so much for others having an opinion.

Top