Owensboro Catholic Vs. Russell - 2A Title Game - New Thread

Page 11 of Tony is a fantastic coach and really helps these schools out. He is a football genius and has really helped make Catholic what they are today. I am not... 181 comments | 7033 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #151
    FBALL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    4,873

    Quote Originally Posted by billytwoshirts

    Why do so many go both ways? Is their a drop off in talent or is this a philosophy of the coach?
    If you choose to platoon there is naturally going to be some drop off in talent. Even though Russell does not platoon, there are plenty of backups that have seen valuable minutes. Does Russell have 22 kids that can play at a high level? Yes they do.

    If OC were not running the no huddle, would they still be platooning? I don't think so.
    Advertisement

  2. #152

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by FBALL
    If you choose to platoon there is naturally going to be some drop off in talent. Even though Russell does not platoon, there are plenty of backups that have seen valuable minutes. Does Russell have 22 kids that can play at a high level? Yes they do.

    If OC were not running the no huddle, would they still be platooning? I don't think so.
    Your points are well taken.

    My answer to your question: Would they still platoon? Yes, I think they would. If Russell has 22 players that can play at a high level, why not allow 11 to specialize on defense? Why not allow 11 to specialize on offense? This would allow the "22" to be even better. For example and for this game, it would allow 11 players to focus solely on the OCath offense all week and, offensively, it would allow 11 players to focus solely on mastering the OCath defense. Surely, you would have to agree that this would give Russell an advantage.

  3. #153
    FBALL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    4,873

    Quote Originally Posted by billytwoshirts
    Your points are well taken.

    My answer to your question: Would they still platoon? Yes, I think they would. If Russell has 22 players that can play at a high level, why not allow 11 to specialize on defense? Why not allow 11 to specialize on offense? This would allow the "22" to be even better. For example and for this game, it would allow 11 players to focus solely on the OCath offense all week and, offensively, it would allow 11 players to focus solely on mastering the OCath defense. Surely, you would have to agree that this would give Russell an advantage.
    Its just two different points of view. I agree that it can be an advantage as far as concentrating on one thing. But the other side of it, as said earlier, is put the best 11 on the field. Both lines of thought have advantages and disadvantages.

    I really think this will be an entertaining game featuring two vastly different, but at the same time very successful coaching styles. Obviously both teams have great athletes or they would not have made it this far. And it is usually the team with the best athletes that win the game. It should be alot of fun to watch.

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by FBALL
    Its just two different points of view. I agree that it can be an advantage as far as concentrating on one thing. But the other side of it, as said earlier, is put the best 11 on the field. Both lines of thought have advantages and disadvantages.

    I really think this will be an entertaining game featuring two vastly different, but at the same time very successful coaching styles. Obviously both teams have great athletes or they would not have made it this far. And it is usually the team with the best athletes that win the game. It should be alot of fun to watch.
    Well said. Hurry up Saturday.

    [You are going to think that I am sand bagging, but, the key word is "usually" the best athletes win the game. Catholic did not have the best athletes against the following: 4A Apollo, 4A Owensboro (loss), Ft. Campbell, Trigg County, Glasgow and, possibly, South Spencer (IN.)]

  5. #155
    FBALL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    4,873

    Quote Originally Posted by billytwoshirts
    Well said. Hurry up Saturday.

    [You are going to think that I am sand bagging, but, the key word is "usually" the best athletes win the game. Catholic did not have the best athletes against the following: 4A Apollo, 4A Owensboro (loss), Ft. Campbell, Trigg County, Glasgow and, possibly, South Spencer (IN.)]
    No I don't think you're sandbagging. That is why I said usually.

    Also much has been made about OC's style of play and platooning wearing the other team down. On the other side of this Russell's offensive approach can also wear on a team. It doesn't look that complicated but it can be confusing. It is sometimes very physical and sometimes finesse. It does not look like alot of different plays but there are many options to take advantage of what a defense is doing. It can wear a team down both physically and mentally.

  6. #156

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by FBALL
    No I don't think you're sandbagging. That is why I said usually.

    Also much has been made about OC's style of play and platooning wearing the other team down. On the other side of this Russell's offensive approach can also wear on a team. It doesn't look that complicated but it can be confusing. It is sometimes very physical and sometimes finesse. It does not look like alot of different plays but there are many options to take advantage of what a defense is doing. It can wear a team down both physically and mentally.
    I agree. I come from the old days and I appreciate what Russell brings to the table.

  7. #157

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    115

    It's finally friday. The excitement around this 2A game is unbelievable. Including the deleted thread this topic seems to have the most action. I hope all of the players stay safe before the game and get there O.K. Catholic fans remember the car accident that happened last year or the year before that almost took out our best athletes right at the end of the year.

  8. #158
    GOREDDEVILS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Home of the 2005 Class 2A Football State Champs!!!!!!
    Posts
    8,524

    So will I be able to come down early and watch the AAA game, and still be able to watch the other 2 as well?

  9. #159
    Frances Bavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Mount Pilot
    Posts
    6,854

    Quote Originally Posted by GOREDDEVILS
    So will I be able to come down early and watch the AAA game, and still be able to watch the other 2 as well?
    Yes, but if you stay at the stadium, you need to bring a book or something. There is about an hour between the end of one game and the time that the teams playing in the next game even start to warm up.

    If you leave the stadium, you will have to buy another ticket to get back in.

    Frances

  10. #160
    aces03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Owensboro
    Posts
    755

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafterman
    It's finally friday. The excitement around this 2A game is unbelievable. Including the deleted thread this topic seems to have the most action. I hope all of the players stay safe before the game and get there O.K. Catholic fans remember the car accident that happened last year or the year before that almost took out our best athletes right at the end of the year.
    Its been a long week.....

  11. #161
    midee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Let's get dangerous....
    Posts
    769

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafterman
    It's finally friday. The excitement around this 2A game is unbelievable. Including the deleted thread this topic seems to have the most action. I hope all of the players stay safe before the game and get there O.K. Catholic fans remember the car accident that happened last year or the year before that almost took out our best athletes right at the end of the year.
    Well I just returned from the big send off for the Russell team. They had a parade around all of the schools so that the kids could wish them well.

    Hope everyone has a safe trip and I'll see you all Saturday.

  12. #162
    redevil78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    456

    Does anyone know if there is going to be a convoy leaving from the High School tomorrow? What time? I've got my Russell flag flying and the vehicle all painted up for the road trip.

    Go Devils!!!!

  13. #163
    midee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Let's get dangerous....
    Posts
    769

    Quote Originally Posted by redevil78
    Does anyone know if there is going to be a convoy leaving from the High School tomorrow? What time? I've got my Russell flag flying and the vehicle all painted up for the road trip.

    Go Devils!!!!
    I don't know about a convoy but I am going to be there and leave at 10:00 with the tour bus. Anyone else is welcome to show up and leave with us.

  14. #164
    redevil78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    456


  15. #165

    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Flatwoods, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,847

    Anyone got a weather report. I know I'm driving 6 hours from northern Ohio and it is snowing up here. How about Louisville.

Top