NKY Power Rankings: 11-01-18
1) 5A Covington Catholic (10-0) – Covington Catholic has put together their second straight and second only undefeated regular season after beating the 6A Campbell County (6-4) in Park Hills on Friday, beating the Camels 28-0. QB Cam Jacob was 8-13 passing for 192yds and 1 TD and rushing for another TD. RB Casey McGinness logged his 10th straight 100yd+ game of the season, rushing for 167yds and 1 TD, and receiving for another 37yds. RB Jacob Shriver also had 1 rushing TD. TE Michael Mayer was Jacob’s favorite receiver, with 4 receptions for 87yds and 1 TD. Mayer was also the co-leader tackling from his position at linebacker, with 4 tackles, and LB Daniel Felix also had 4 tackles. Safety Jackson Blank also had 2 interceptions in the game. The Colonels will begin their playoff run at home on Friday when they host 5A Woodford County (2-8).
2) 5A Highlands (8-2) – The Bluebirds finished off their regular season on Friday with a 55-15 romp over the 6A Boone County Rebels (2-8). QB Grady Cramer was 12-18 passing for 110yds and 2 TDs, with WR Ethan Houze leading the receiving corps with 4 receptions for 57yds and 2 TDs. RB Collin Hollingsworth rushed once for 52yds and 1 TD, RB Wesley Bowling had 3 carries for 38yds and 1 TD, and RB Joe Buten rushed twice for 38yds and 2 TDs. Brycen Huddleston had yet another return for TD in the game, and Alex Starkey added a defensive TD on a fumble recovery that he picked up and ran into the endzone. The Birds’ defense was able to pick up fumbles 4 times in the game off of the Rebels offense. Highlands will begin the 5A playoffs at home, hosting 5A Madison Southern (2-8).
3) 1A Beechwood (8-2) – Beechwood slugged it out with 2A Newport Central Catholic (4-6) on Friday to finish their regular season with their eighth win, beating the Breds 33-21 in Newport. QB Cam Hergott was 9-15 passing for 131yds and 2 TDs, and rushed for another 9yds. RB Logan Castleman carried the ball 26 times, good for 170yds and 3 TDs on the ground, and RB Tyler Donoho had 67yds and 1 TD on 7 carries. Donoho also led the game receiving with 3 receptions for 58yds, while WR Gage Dollenmeyer had 1 catch for 35yds for 1 TD, and WR Luke Bolger had 1 TD on his sole 6yd reception. Defensively, brothers Dayton and Duncan Baugh each tallied 1 sack a piece. Beechwood will have a bye week in the first round of the 1A playoffs, and on November 9th will face the winner of 1A Kentucky Country Day (5-5) vs. 1A Bellevue (5-5).
4) 6A Simon Kenton (8-2) – Simon Kenton had their bye week last week after knocking off 6A Ryle (2-7) on October 19th. The Pioneers will be returning to action on Friday when they host 6A Bryan Station (2-8) in the first round of the playoffs.
5) 6A Campbell County (6-4) – Campbell County lost their final regular season game on Friday, being defeated 28-0 by the 5A Covington Catholic Colonels (10-0). The Camels offense really struggled to get anything going in the game, totaling 74 offensive yards in the game. QB Andrew Helton was 3-16 passing for 18yds, with WR Nick Cartwright making 1 reception for 10yds, and WR Reid Jolly making 2 receptions for 8yds. RB Grant Jolly had 42yds on 14 carries, and RB Dallas Cloyd had 10yds on 3 carries. Defensive statistics were not reported for the game. Campbell County will host 6A Scott County (7-3) on Friday in the first round of the 6A playoffs.
6) 6A Conner (7-3) – The Cougars were shut out in their final regular season game this year, losing 20-0 to 6A Frederick Douglass (10-0) on Friday. The offense only just cleared 100 total offensive yards, totaling 116yds, with 28yds rushing, and 88yds passing. QB Jared Hicks was 13-24 passing for 88yds, and rushed 5 times for another 21yds. Tate Niederman led the receiving corps for Conner with 55yds on 7 receptions. The defense managed to hold the Stallions to only 50yds passing, but they gave up 248yds on the ground. DB Clayton Boyd led the defense with 6 tackles, and DB Colton Roy had 5 tackles. Conner will host 6A Lafayette (1-9) on Friday in the opening round of the playoffs.
7) 2A Walton-Verona (8-2) – Walton-Verona has only allowed 77 points this season, and didn’t allow any on Friday when they pulled off their SEVENTH shutout of the season with a 42-0 win over 2A Bellevue (5-5). QB Garrett Jones was 2-3 passing for 24yds and 1 TD. RB Peyton Smith rushed for 83yds and 1 TD in the game, RB rushed for 63yds and 2 TDs, RB Blake Wolfe rushed for 35yds and 1 TD,and RB Micah Alford had 3 carries for 8yds and 1 TD. WR Johnny Martin caught both receptions, good for 24yds and 1 TD. LB Grant Grubbs led the Bearcats’ D with 7 tackles, including a sack. Micah Alford and Sean Spillman each had 5 tackles, and Gannon Jones, Gavin Knight, and Johnny Martin each had an interception a piece. Walton-Verona will host 2A Metcalfe County (2-8) in the first round of the playoffs, Friday.
8) 6A Cooper (4-6) – Cooper finished their regular season on a high note, with a 23-7 upset win over 6A Henry Clay (5-5) at home. QB Jeremiah Lee was 2-8 passing for 75yds, and rushed 23 times for 94yds and 2 TDs. WR Mikey Armour caught both receptions in the game, good for 75yds, and RB Anthony Witschey ran 25 times for 157yds and 1 TD. On the defensive side, Michael Attabary, Michael Spencer, and Bryan Yelton each had 7 tackles a piece. Michael Spencer logged 3 sacks, Michael Attabary had 1 sack, and Dominic Rulli also had 1 sack. Mikey Armour also added on an interception for the Jags’ D. Cooper will travel to Clark County on Friday to take on 6A George Rogers Clark (7-3) in the first round of the playoffs.
9) Newport Central Catholic (4-6) – The Breds fought hard, but lost their regular season closer 33-21 to longtime rival 1A Beechwood (8-2). Paul Kremer and Hunter Cain both spent time at QB, with Cain going 4-10 for 84yds, and Kremer going 4-7 for 29yds. Hunter Cain also led the New Cath rushing attack with 86yds on 18 carries, while RB Kyle Kelly rushed 8 times for 24yds and 1 TD. Colin Wefer also scored a TD for the Breds on a blocked Beechwood punt, and Evan VanLierop scored on a kickoff return for TD. New Cath did not report defensive stats for the game. The Thoroughbreds will host 2A Shawnee (0-9) on Friday in the opening round of the playoffs.
10) 6A Ryle (2-8) – The Raiders had a dismal 41-14 loss on Friday to 5A Dixie Heights (1-9). Jake Smith, Keegan Stanken, and Max Inabnit each spent time behind center, and combined for 6 pass completions, good for 75yds and 1 TD. Inabnit threw the lone passing TD to Jake Smith, who had a team high 46yds receiving and 1 TD in the game. Inabnit also led the rushing game, with 72yds on 14 carries and 1 TD. RB Kyle England also had 20yds on 9 carries, as well as 24yds receiving on 2 receptions. Dillon Talmon led the Raiders D with 14 tackles, and Luke Bradshaw had 13 tackles. Luke Collette, Tyson Keller, and Cooper White each tallied a sack a piece for the defense. Ryle will host 6A Tates Creek (4-5) in the first round of the playoffs on Friday.
6A Cooper (Previously #9) – The Jaguars climbed up a spot, to finish at #9 in the NKY Power Rankings after an upset win over 6A Henry Clay (5-5) on Friday.
6A Ryle (Previously #8) – The Raiders fell to #10 in the NKY Power Rankings after losing an 8th game, this time to 5A Dixie Heights (1-9).
Tags for this Thread