New Game Format

Page 3 of Originally Posted by dr1 I don't think you could run on a schedule of 1PM, 4PM, & 7PM and have the games run on time. I wouldn't mind that schedule... 46 comments | 2036 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    264

    I liked the 2 games on Friday and 2 games on Saturday format.
    If I understand things correctly, the Friday night game next season will be either the Class A, AA or AAA contest.
    The AAAA game would be on Saturday either at 11:30, 3:30 or 7:30.
    The Class AAAA game would be on Friday night only every fourth year.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,095

    Quote Originally Posted by thegeneral
    The hotels probably will lose a little on this deal, but I'd bet the money they make on finals weekend is just a drop in the bucket for them anyway. It's not something that's going to make or break their balance sheet, and it's certainly not as much as the Lex. hotels get from the Sweet 16.

    Hotels don't really lose at all. This is an event a hotel wouldn't forecast too much on any given day, simply because of the unknown quantity...who's going to be playing. And trust me, any revenue in December is a gain...not a loss...but this new format really has nothing at all to do with the hotels.

  3. #33
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,907

    Quote Originally Posted by FREEAGENT
    I liked the 2 games on Friday and 2 games on Saturday format.
    If I understand things correctly, the Friday night game next season will be either the Class A, AA or AAA contest.
    The AAAA game would be on Saturday either at 11:30, 3:30 or 7:30.
    The Class AAAA game would be on Friday night only every fourth year.
    I have some oceanfront property I want to sell you right here in NKY if you are interested?

    Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think next year could be off the charts. I think UoL plays UConn at home on state final Saturday next year.

    Anyone?

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,811

    Quote Originally Posted by titletownclown
    Extending the tourney over two weekends could prove costly in terms of travel for those teams that advance to the second weekend of play. It's a long drive for many fans to have to make twice. But I see your point also.
    And it isn't a problem when, say, Mayfield fans drive to Danville one weekend then Louisville the next?

    I am in total agreement with guru on this. I think football is getting the shaft and is being treated like the "little brother" to basketball by the KHSAA. Then they wonder why many people don't have confidence and faith in them.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,811

    BTW, if the KHSAA's major reason for doing this is to keep kids from missing school, why not eliminate one week from the playoffs and play on Thanksgiving weekend? Michigan does this (3 games on Friday and Saturday) and it works out quite well.

  6. #36
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,907

    Those are your words booneriii, not mine. Again, from what I am told the KHSAA was directed by the state board of education to get the games out of the school day and thus I think the problem is with the BOE on this one. Basketball has four "playoffs" running over multiple schools days and football only took up part of one day until the change was made.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,811

    I re-read your post and see what I missed about the BOE calling the shots on this one. Thanks.

    For the record, I still don't have much faith in the KHSAA.

  8. #38
    titletownclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Danville, KY
    Posts
    8,052

    Quote Originally Posted by booneriii
    And it isn't a problem when, say, Mayfield fans drive to Danville one weekend then Louisville the next?
    In 2004, the Mayfield fans didn't have to drive to Louisville after traveling to Danville unless they were going to watch Danville play. Of course, 2002 was a different story.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,811

    Quote Originally Posted by titletownclown
    In 2004, the Mayfield fans didn't have to drive to Louisville after traveling to Danville unless they were going to watch Danville play. Of course, 2002 was a different story.
    How did I know that was coming?

  10. #40
    titletownclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Danville, KY
    Posts
    8,052

    Quote Originally Posted by booneriii
    How did I know that was coming?
    I couldn't resist. It is just my nature.

  11. #41
    oneijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Ulysses, KY (a little nowhere between Paintsville and Louisa)
    Posts
    7,196

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru
    joe,

    For a fan of an individual team this probably is better, for a fan of the event, this stinks. And... the Sweet 16 is a huge success because the masses are fans of the event, and not individual teams.

    Big picture people!

    Well, guru... I guess it depends on whether one HAS to work/to go school on Friday (or, if you can't be working while at the game like, say, a media person or even a photographer... )

    I'm a pretty big football fan (figuratively and literally ). Yet, work must come first.

    The net result of the format change for me is... I can now get to ALL the games if I choose without doubling my work schedule elsewhere.

    Oh, one of the bigger reasons the "Sweet 16" is a huge success is because many schools conveniently cancel class or schedule in-service Thursday and Friday at the tourney's start. IMO, an ideal first step in making the football State Finals an "event" would be to arrange time off from school in a similar manner.

    Another reason the basketball tourney is so popular is that it takes place indoors and out of the cold. Football in December is a cold proposition. Of course, it can't be helped. Yet the difference remains.


  12. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    I like the new format. Face facts, at least one Louisville. team will be in the 4-A finals, and a good chance both teams will be from Louisville, they will have no problem drawing fans, who can go to work during the day and still make it to the game on time. Not so for the other three classes who's fans all have to drive and most have to take off of work. Having those three on Saturday makes more sense as more fans of THOSE teams won't have to take off work and be able to just drive there during the day on Saturday.

    I don't like the start times of the games on Saturday. I think it should be something like 1PM, 4PM and then 7PM.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    Quote Originally Posted by oneijoe

    Another reason the basketball tourney is so popular is that it takes place indoors and out of the cold. Football in December is a cold proposition. Of course, it can't be helped. Yet the difference remains.
    I agree. Look how many people who usually go to the state finals are not going now, As teams like Beechwood, Highlands, Danville and Boyle Co are not in the finals.

    I am not sure how many fans go just to watch no matter who is in the finals, but I am guessing it's no where close to that of the Sweet 16.

  14. #44
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    [QUOTE=oneijoe

    Another reason the basketball tourney is so popular is that it takes place indoors and out of the cold. Football in December is a cold proposition. Of course, it can't be helped. Yet the difference remains.

    [/QUOTE]

    This is true....My father is not going because of that very reason. I know how to fix it though...Build a Dome in Lexington or Louisville or wherever.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    276

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsGuy41017
    I like the new format. Face facts, at least one Louisville. team will be in the 4-A finals, and a good chance both teams will be from Louisville, they will have no problem drawing fans, who can go to work during the day and still make it to the game on time. Not so for the other three classes who's fans all have to drive and most have to take off of work. Having those three on Saturday makes more sense as more fans of THOSE teams won't have to take off work and be able to just drive there during the day on Saturday.

    I don't like the start times of the games on Saturday. I think it should be something like 1PM, 4PM and then 7PM.
    I don't think you could run on a schedule of 1PM, 4PM, & 7PM and have the games run on time. I wouldn't mind that schedule, mind you, I just don't think it would work. A high school game normally runs about 2:15, then you have to have some time for trophy presentations, and then you have a 30-45 minute countdown clock for the next game.

Top