Micah Johnson Is Mr. Football 2005

Page 2 of From the AP Wire reports Thursday Morning. LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) _ College coaches look at Micah Johnson and see different things _ a linebacker, a defen... 53 comments | 2445 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    gamer31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Hill's Heroes!!!
    Posts
    787

    Of the five finalists, my vote goes for Justin Burke, for the following reasons:

    1: Lex Cath's the only team that will be playing at Papa Johns this weekend that has a Mr. Football candidate. In a short 15 years of football, this season, with Burke's leadership, Lex Cath won their first regional championship, their first semi-state game, and their first trip to the state finals.

    2: Stats: Burke has had a tremendous senior season: 210 of 338, 62.1% completion rate for 3,568 yards, 62 tds and 5 ints. Record 13-1, beating tough teams like Cov Cath, defending state champ Highlands, Scott Co, with one loss to St. X on a last second field goal.

    3: Stats, career: 521 of 847, 61.5% completion rate for 8,513 yards, 120 tds and 16 ints. Record: 33-5. Signature wins include wins over St. X (soph year, 2nd start of his career), defending state champs Boyle Co. (junior year), and others above his senior year.

    4: State Records: Burke broke the record for the most touchdowns in a season at 62 (closest is 58), and still has a game to play. Per NFLHS.com, 62 puts him at 9th in the nation in TDs in a season. He is in second place in KY for consecutive tds at 37, and has thrown a td in every game he has ever started for Lex Cath. He is tied for second place w Chris Todd for total TDs in a career at 120 so far. He will be in the KY record books 16 times, and currently is in the top 10 in three additional categories: career yards passing, career completions, and career percentage passing, all in three years as a starter. This against high school phenom QBs like Tim Couch, Brian Brohm, Lorenzen, Guidugli, and others that have gone on to major college (and pro) careers.

    5: Quotes about Burke: "Justin Burke is a great, great quarterback," Glaser said. "He's hard to contain. If you play the pass, he hurts you with his running. If you play the run, he hurts you with his passing."--Coach Glaser, St. X.

    "Their quarterback makes them a special team, and I know what that's like because I once had a real good young quarterback (current University of Minnesota starting QB Brad Cupito) at McNick. So I know what they're going to try to do with him," Rodenberg said. "We're going to have to disguise things, change some things up and make this kid think as much as possible, and get a rush on him." Coach Rodenberg, Cov Cath.

    6: Expert opinions: Burke has been ranked as high as the fourth best QB in the country, and received D-1 offers from 15 schools, including three SEC schools and three Big 10 schools, ultimately choosing NC State. NC State's QB coach that recruited Justin has 17 years of pro experience coaching the likes of Rich Gannon, the NFL MVP under Trestman's tutelage.

    Last: intangibles. Justin has a 3.9 gpa, which many attribute to his good decision-making in football. His ratio of 120 tds to 16 ints supports this theory. He is a phenomenal leader that makes the team around him better. He has the ability to take charge of a game, and plays with huge heart, as demonstrated in the Highlands game, when he played on a bum knee sustained on the first series of the game.

    I am not sure what all the factors are that go into the Mr. Football decision, but surely the facts above make for a sound case for Burke.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer31

    I am not sure what all the factors are that go into the Mr. Football decision, but surely the facts above make for a sound case for Burke.
    They make an excellent argument except for the fact that the other player is better. I love Burke and enjoyed watching him play but , by your criteria, a strong qb will always have the advantage.

    Hands down, Micah Johnson is the best player in the state. Heck, he's considered one of the top 2 defensive players in the country.

    Not that tough of a decision, in reality.

  3. #18
    Boucher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 04
    Location
    London, KY, USA
    Posts
    2,851

    No doubt Burke is a good QB, but I believe that Johnson was the state's best player this season. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Roswell, Ga
    Posts
    312

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28
    For those who haven't seen this kid, he's unreal. It's like watching a College All American playing middle schoolers.
    Is that the reason his team is playing for a state championship this weekend? Oh sorry, they got beat by Owensboro Catholic. OC beat them in the 4th quarter when many of the FC players (including Micah) were laying of the field cramping. I know Micah is a great player, but Justin Burke was by far the most Important and most impressive player in Kentucky this year. I am glad to see that Micah is going to UK and he may be the most talented kid in this class, but you can't argue with 62 TD's and 5 int's. This voting has a lot to do with the push for the separation of public and private. It truley a shame that either of these kids won't get to have this title. Congrats to Micah and good luck next year at UK.

  5. #20
    All Thumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
    Posts
    1,251

    They picked the right player this year. Micah Johnson is a man among boys.

  6. #21
    threetimelover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Eamus Catuli AC000000
    Posts
    9,567

    If you have not seen Micah Johnson play, then you should not question the decision. He is incredible, truly a man among boys on the field. Also, according to the Kentucky New Era yesterday, Johnson has NOT announced that he will definitively attend the University of Kentucky. He is scheduled to make his announcement on Monday. Congratulations, Micah!

  7. #22
    gamer31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Hill's Heroes!!!
    Posts
    787

    I just talked to Coach Sphire, and these were his exact words.

    "I just told Justin about Micah winning the award, and the first thing out of Justin's mouth was Congrats to Micah, he's an awesome football player. I know his family and school are proud of his accomplishments. Coach went on to say that Justin is still glowing about the fact that he's playing in the State Championship game this Saturday, and that Justin, whether he won the award or not had had a great career that cant be taken away, and yes it would have been nice to say that he won the award but it would be even better to win a TEAM title."

    This is an example of Justin's character and I'm with Coach, it would have been nice, and yes its ashame, but accomplishing the ultimate team goal is the task at hand.

  8. #23
    gamer31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Hill's Heroes!!!
    Posts
    787

    Quote Originally Posted by threetimelover
    If you have not seen Micah Johnson play, then you should not question the decision. He is incredible, truly a man among boys on the field. Also, according to the Kentucky New Era yesterday, Johnson has NOT announced that he will definitively attend the University of Kentucky. He is scheduled to make his announcement on Monday. Congratulations, Micah!

    Would someone please let the media know this. Those diggers are assuming that Micah will go to KY so that the award stays in state.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    293

    I read an article this morning that said Johnson did not commit to UK and that he was going to make an announcement today or Monday.

    I wonder if the rumors of the past few days about his commitment to UK had any impact on the Mr. Football voting. I'm also wondering if someone isn't playing a good publicity game. What seems odd to me is:
    1. Johnson wasn't supposed to announce his choice until the Army All-American Bowl.
    2. Immediately after Burke's team wins the semi-final, the commitment rumors start and a news station jumps the gun.
    3. The Lexington-Herald runs an article saying that his mother said he would be at UK.
    4. NOT one word from Micah Johnson during all this. Plenty from mom and the coach...
    5. The Mr. Football announcement was released by AP wire Thursday morning.
    6. Following the AP release, there is a story the he has not committed and will make some sort of announcement at 3:00 today or Monday.

    I have to wonder if all this was in hopes of bettering his chances against Burke in the Mr. Football race by committing to a state school. Now that he's won, he can say that HE didn't make the announcement, etc. I think the AP voters probably just got played or else they just want to make sure he's in the news alot.

    And before anyone gets mad.....I am NOT trying to say that he is not deserving of the Mr. Football award!

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    436

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer31
    This is award finally is a crock!!!! This award is nothing but politics and thats a total shame. I guess Justin Burke was out of the running the day he committed to NC state. I guess his numbers weren't impressive enough! I guess that breaking a state record for touchdowns in a season werent enough! I guess the only finalist to play in a state championship game this season isn't enough! It must be around state finals time cause I am now fired up, about like I was last year for the MM saga. I am happy for Micah to win this award, but all it does show is what I already knew...... The media doesn't have a CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Would you like some cheese with that whine?

  11. #26
    gamer31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Hill's Heroes!!!
    Posts
    787

    I'm just stating the facts, gnat!

  12. #27
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by HSsportsfan
    I read an article this morning that said Johnson did not commit to UK and that he was going to make an announcement today or Monday.

    I wonder if the rumors of the past few days about his commitment to UK had any impact on the Mr. Football voting. I'm also wondering if someone isn't playing a good publicity game. What seems odd to me is:
    1. Johnson wasn't supposed to announce his choice until the Army All-American Bowl.
    2. Immediately after Burke's team wins the semi-final, the commitment rumors start and a news station jumps the gun.
    3. The Lexington-Herald runs an article saying that his mother said he would be at UK.
    4. NOT one word from Micah Johnson during all this. Plenty from mom and the coach...
    5. The Mr. Football announcement was released by AP wire Thursday morning.
    6. Following the AP release, there is a story the he has not committed and will make some sort of announcement at 3:00 today or Monday.

    I have to wonder if all this was in hopes of bettering his chances against Burke in the Mr. Football race by committing to a state school. Now that he's won, he can say that HE didn't make the announcement, etc. I think the AP voters probably just got played or else they just want to make sure he's in the news alot.

    And before anyone gets mad.....I am NOT trying to say that he is not deserving of the Mr. Football award!
    I think Oswald did it.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    37

    Congrats to all the finalist and especially to Micah - he is a great player. Did not see Burke, but he has put huge numbers up this year. I had the privelege of watching O.C. play F.C. in the playoffs and Micah was excellent on both sides of the ball. His size and speed put him in a class above most others. Good Luck in college - wherever you may go!

  14. #29
    threetimelover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Eamus Catuli AC000000
    Posts
    9,567

    Quote Originally Posted by HSsportsfan
    I read an article this morning that said Johnson did not commit to UK and that he was going to make an announcement today or Monday.

    I wonder if the rumors of the past few days about his commitment to UK had any impact on the Mr. Football voting. I'm also wondering if someone isn't playing a good publicity game. What seems odd to me is:
    1. Johnson wasn't supposed to announce his choice until the Army All-American Bowl.
    2. Immediately after Burke's team wins the semi-final, the commitment rumors start and a news station jumps the gun.
    3. The Lexington-Herald runs an article saying that his mother said he would be at UK.
    4. NOT one word from Micah Johnson during all this. Plenty from mom and the coach...
    5. The Mr. Football announcement was released by AP wire Thursday morning.
    6. Following the AP release, there is a story the he has not committed and will make some sort of announcement at 3:00 today or Monday.


    I have to wonder if all this was in hopes of bettering his chances against Burke in the Mr. Football race by committing to a state school. Now that he's won, he can say that HE didn't make the announcement, etc. I think the AP voters probably just got played or else they just want to make sure he's in the news alot.

    And before anyone gets mad.....I am NOT trying to say that he is not deserving of the Mr. Football award!
    Johnson's coach said in yesterday's (Wednesday) Kentucky New Era that Johnson HAD NOT made an official announcement, and that the decision would be on Monday. Just making it clear that Johnson did not renege on his commitment after the AP release of Mr. Football.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    293

    Quote Originally Posted by threetimelover
    Johnson's coach said in yesterday's (Wednesday) Kentucky New Era that Johnson HAD NOT made an official announcement, and that the decision would be on Monday. Just making it clear that Johnson did not renege on his commitment after the AP release of Mr. Football.

    That's exactly what I was trying to point out.....he didn't commit although reports were appearing everywhere that he did. So if anyone says that he's backing out, it wouldn't be so because HE didn't commit. I am saying that it sort of looks like there's some media savvy folks behind some of this.

Top