McCreary County 2010

Page 2 of I am looking forward to the Russell County scrimmage Thursday. I want to see how much progress they make from the Casey scrimmage. I can't wait for Pin... 42 comments | 2029 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 08
    Location
    Battlefield
    Posts
    810

    Quote Originally Posted by papagrit View Post
    Today 01:50 AM I copied that from your last post HOP....better get some sleep so those kids don't pull one over on ya' in class.
    LoL, We are not in school yet papagrit! The scrimmage last night went pretty good, the Raiders had a rough start with a few fumbles on offense and a little confusion on defense but that was to be expected since there is a new coaching staff and they are running a new offense and defense. After the first quarter was over and they settled down the Raiders looked very good they had a couple really good drives showing they still have very good athletes running the ball and big strong guys on the line opening the holes. The defense was very aggressive and had very few missed tackles, sophmore Tyson Williams looked very impressive at linebacker and should be a huge impact player for the raiders. Storm Stephens was at QB and his experience showed as he ran the offense like a pro. Overall the Raiders looked very well coached and their conditioning level was pretty good for this time of the season, I think the Raiders will have a very good season so keep up the good work boys. Go Raiders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 08
    Location
    On the fringe of the ROCK
    Posts
    402

    Good luck to you guys. Glad to hear you did well against Casey as I heard that this should be a very good year for Casey with a lot of experience returning. Hard to believe you all haven't started school yet, Rock's been in school for a week and half already.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,562

    Quote Originally Posted by papagrit View Post
    Good luck to you guys. Glad to hear you did well against Casey as I heard that this should be a very good year for Casey with a lot of experience returning. Hard to believe you all haven't started school yet, Rock's been in school for a week and half already.
    Rock has to be first in everything, even in starting School early. Good Luck this season. McCreary Central did not look too bad for a 1st Scrimmage. The kids played hard, with work and time they will get better. Where are all those Raider Fans, come on this team and this Staff need your Support.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Location
    Whitley County
    Posts
    1,092

    Scrimmage Proved something important

    Last nights scrimmage against an experienced Casey County team proved one thing - the young Raiders have heart! They went down very quickly in the first four minutes but fought hard the rest of the way. These boys have HEART! There are very few seniors on this team and a lot of sophomores. The Raiders will be fine if they play all four quarters with the same heart determination they did last night (after the first four minutes Coach Smith did a great job keeping the kids together after falling behind. Keep in mind scrimmages are practices simulating game like conditions. The Raiders had several players on the field who probably would not play ordinarily. Also, The Raiders did somethings they would not in a regular season game. Scrimmages help coaches see what works and shows the coaches who wants to play football. There were several kids who proved they wanted to play!

    I agree with H.O.P.'s observations about the scrimmage and season!

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,562

    Quote Originally Posted by TRENCHMASTER View Post
    Last nights scrimmage against an experienced Casey County team proved one thing - the young Raiders have heart! They went down very quickly in the first four minutes but fought hard the rest of the way. These boys have HEART! There are very few seniors on this team and a lot of sophomores. The Raiders will be fine if they play all four quarters with the same heart determination they did last night (after the first four minutes Coach Smith did a great job keeping the kids together after falling behind. Keep in mind scrimmages are practices simulating game like conditions. The Raiders had several players on the field who probably would not play ordinarily. Also, The Raiders did somethings they would not in a regular season game. Scrimmages help coaches see what works and shows the coaches who wants to play football. There were several kids who proved they wanted to play!

    I agree with H.O.P.'s observations about the scrimmage and season!
    Heart, is a good place to start. Not quitting in a game no matter what the score. I also saw a lot of this in Central's 1st scrimmage. This comes from winning and being in ball games the past few years. These kids know how to win and if they continue to work hard and play hard will get better. Several of these kids were on the JV. last year that beat Scott Co. Tenn. 2 times, Wayne County 2 Times, Somerset once and lost to Oneida Tenn. in OT by 1 and reg time by 2. So they are usta winning. Go Raiders.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Location
    Whitley County
    Posts
    1,092

    I am looking forward to the Russell County scrimmage Thursday. I want to see how much progress they make from the Casey scrimmage. I can't wait for Pineville!

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    929

    Casey looked really good. Casey played 26 kids on D in the first half. It was a good game to watch.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,562

    Quote Originally Posted by TRENCHMASTER View Post
    I am looking forward to the Russell County scrimmage Thursday. I want to see how much progress they make from the Casey scrimmage. I can't wait for Pineville!
    I also am looking fwd. to the start of the season. Pineville will have a good Ball Club and nothing should be taken for granted.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Location
    Whitley County
    Posts
    1,092

    Personally, you can't take any game for granted. The Raiders will need to fight every game with intensity and effort! This team lost 11 seniors, the entire coaching staff except one, will be implementing a new offense and defense, and is very young. They will have to play every second, of every quarter, of every game!

    THEY CAN DO IT! They just to come with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Location
    Whitley County
    Posts
    1,092

    KYHOOP- Casey will do fine this year. I think McCreary was caught flat footed. The long trip and heat delay didn't help the Raiders get out of the gate. After the first four minutes it was clear both teams were equally matched. You could tell Casey had more experience though and that will help them this season.

    I wish them well!

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,562

    TH. Russell County will come to town and it will be time to see if McCreary Central has improved this week. I hope so because Russell will be much better than Casey. All you Raider fans Come out ans support the Raiders !!!!!!

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 08
    Location
    Battlefield
    Posts
    810

    It looks like it will be a wet and sloppy one on Thur. I am also interested in seeing the adjustments made by the Raiders coaching staff and to see the improvements since the Casey game. This Raiders team has the potential to be very very good and I will be supporting them all season. Go get'em boys!

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Location
    Whitley County
    Posts
    1,092

    All anyone can ask is that this young team play the best that they are capable of. I doubt if the Raiders show all their cards it is just a scrimmage and they need to use it to see who wants to step up and play. H.O.P. I share your optimism, however, they are very young, lost an entire coaching staff and are implementing a new off and def. They have a high ceiling no doubt but they will have to work very hard. Last years team had some of the best players the program had ever seen at one time. Some games they could win games by showing up because of the sheer talent they had. They were undefeated in middle school. Expectations need to be tempered and realistic for this young team and new staff. The next few years should be interesting for the Raiders - no doubt they can go as far as their effort is willing to take them. The key thing I want to see is are the boys going to come out hard every game, will they show heart, character and grit. W/L only tell's part of the story in H.S. ball. This team will have to battle every time. I know they have the potential! It's time for them to step and get some!

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 08
    Location
    Battlefield
    Posts
    810

    Quote Originally Posted by TRENCHMASTER View Post
    All anyone can ask is that this young team play the best that they are capable of. I doubt if the Raiders show all their cards it is just a scrimmage and they need to use it to see who wants to step up and play. H.O.P. I share your optimism, however, they are very young, lost an entire coaching staff and are implementing a new off and def. They have a high ceiling no doubt but they will have to work very hard. Last years team had some of the best players the program had ever seen at one time. Some games they could win games by showing up because of the sheer talent they had. They were undefeated in middle school. Expectations need to be tempered and realistic for this young team and new staff. The next few years should be interesting for the Raiders - no doubt they can go as far as their effort is willing to take them. The key thing I want to see is are the boys going to come out hard every game, will they show heart, character and grit. W/L only tell's part of the story in H.S. ball. This team will have to battle every time. I know they have the potential! It's time for them to step and get some!
    I have to disagree with the bolded statement. It is true that last years team had probably the single most talented athlete the program has ever had but in the last 23 years I have seen McCreary teams with more overall talent. Last years group worked their butts off all year long they put their time in the weightroom and in plometrics and they did this when there was and wasn't school and they did plyometrics outside when it was snowing and below freezing they were very dedicated to getting bigger, faster and stronger. It was the best off season I've seen in 23 years and that made the difference. In high school football there is no such thing as just showing up and winning you have to out work the other teams and last years group did just that and it was the difference in a 1-9 season w/no playoff game and a 7-4 season w/a playoff game. As far as this years team it is not just optimisim, these guys know how to win, the soph and juniors had a very successfull jv season last year beating teams like Scott Co Tn, Wayne Co and Somerset it was the first Jv winning season in 15 years or so and we know the 6 to 8 players who started varsity last year know how to win and I personally know the coaching staff and they are more than capable of preparing this team to win football games so no I am not being optimistic I am being confident in a great bunch of kids, a great coaching staff and a up and coming great high school football program. This coaching staff was hired early and has ran a very good off season program as well to keep things going in the right direction so the last thing this program needs is people making excuses for them (I know that's not what you are trying to do brother but other people will and excuses will only make the program go backwards) these guys are capable of getting the job done and I am confident that they will do just that. As far as winning and losing a I agree with you it is just one part of H.S. football the rest is about building character and learning to be part of something that is bigger than oneself but don't forget that generally coaches are the only ones that think of such things when a season is not going very good. Well, all I can say is I love this program and the kids in it and I am friends with the coaching staff and I give all of them my total support and I am confident in their ability to have great character, be a part of something bigger than themselves and to win football games and to win with respect and when the need arises (hopefully far and few in between) lose with respect. I am behind you guy 100% now "Go Get'm Guys!"

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,562

    Quote Originally Posted by TRENCHMASTER View Post
    All anyone can ask is that this young team play the best that they are capable of. I doubt if the Raiders show all their cards it is just a scrimmage and they need to use it to see who wants to step up and play. H.O.P. I share your optimism, however, they are very young, lost an entire coaching staff and are implementing a new off and def. They have a high ceiling no doubt but they will have to work very hard. Last years team had some of the best players the program had ever seen at one time. Some games they could win games by showing up because of the sheer talent they had. They were undefeated in middle school. Expectations need to be tempered and realistic for this young team and new staff. The next few years should be interesting for the Raiders - no doubt they can go as far as their effort is willing to take them. The key thing I want to see is are the boys going to come out hard every game, will they show heart, character and grit. W/L only tell's part of the story in H.S. ball. This team will have to battle every time. I know they have the potential! It's time for them to step and get some!
    I disagree with the part of your statement that last year some games all McCreary had to do was show up and win games. In an earyler post you said you couldn't take anyone for granted, now last year's team could just show up. Give me a Break!! It was said by some that last years schedule was weak, well we will see as some of those people are involved in Coaching this year. Good luck to the Raider Team and Good luck with the weak Schedule. Raider Fan's let's get out and support these Boys.

Top