Mayfield vs. Bardstown predictions

Page 6 of Originally Posted by Hearsay I believe you'll get a clean game from Bardstown. This is a "good" team in every sense of that word. Mayfielders... 149 comments | 5590 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Who wins the game?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bardstown

    51 56.67%
  • Mayfield

    39 43.33%
  1. #76
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,458

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsvoice
    From the coaches that I have talked to that have played the Tigers...that is where they say that there teams had the most success was directly at them...although can't be too successful as no one has found a way yet to beat the Tigers...but I am gonna go out on a limb and say this will be the most diverse offense that Bardstown has seen...maybe not the best...but the most diverse and with more weapons that can hurt you. We have seen teams try to take away Rust and Hatchell and Dumas burn you and vice versa...plus if a team comes up too close then Shelton can burn you with the pass...I look for Adam to be the big playmaker this coming Friday...as he is such dual threat with his arm or his running ability...neither of which we have needed yet in these playoffs...but I look for Adam to have a breakout game this week. Plus when you get Rust and Hatchell both out as blockers they can open up so many holes to run through...the coaches on both teams will earn their pay this week with trying to come up with game plans to stop the other team's offense and defense. To quote one of the alltime announcing greats "WHOA NELLY....THIS IS GONNA BE A WHALE OF A BALLGAME"

    GO CARDS
    I agree, I think its going to be awfully fun. Your QB sounds like a good leader. I think, though, that everybody has really gotten caught up in Bardstown's speed as it applies to offense, and Mayfield's offensive versatility, etc. I want to reiterate that, I think this is going to be a defensive game. Noone has scored more than two TD's against Bardstown all season, and that is in Week 1. After Week 2, Holy Cross scored a 1st quarter TD when they were given the ball on the 5, Bethlehem kicked a FG, and Frankfort got an early TD and a very late TD when the game was out of hand. That's it! Now, I will concede that none of the teams B-Town has played probably had the versatility that Mayfield appears to have, but several of those teams had great players, and the odds of keeping everybody off the scoreboard for that long is really small.

    The 3-3-5 defense is an interesting animal. I think it does very well against just such a balanced attack. The 3 down lineman somehow occupy the line of scrimmage. With as much team speed as B-Town has defensively, you just can't get outside. When you try and go at them, there is just too much of a pile to make any significant yardage. The off-tackle runs have worked some (there is your wishbone), it just depends on what kind of night the 2 SS's are having. I don't think a running QB is going to get much. After Week 1 when Larue's QB ran for some yards, B-Town put a marked LB on the QB and its been lights out since.

    Now, if you can throw to a TE, you might get somewhere, because that's that mid-range passing. High school LB's simply don't know how to drop yet. However, if you're going to throw it, the mecanics must be there (protection for at least a 3 count, and zip delivery) elsewise its a pick, because the makeup speed of the secondary is very, very good.

    Even against the best offenses, our 3-3-5 is a good "containment" defense. Yards don't come off in big chunks. I honestly can't remember 5 plays all season where an opponent got more than 25 yards. Field position is very important because if you constantly work with a long field, more is likely to go wrong (3rd and longs, penalties) before you can score. With the way these ball control teams make time come off the clock, there simply isn't enough time against a good, contain defense to put much points up in 4 quarters.

    The advantage then with B-Town in a game where time ticks off quick is the big play threat. Miss a tackle, gap in punt coverage, trick play, and all of the sudden they're off to the races.

    I have been told that Mayfield is well-disciplined, low penalty, low turnover team that tackles well. If they do all those things right, the Birds may win. However, it is my firm belief that three (3) "scores" will win this game.

    GO TIGERS!
    Advertisement

  2. #77
    pigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    3,112

    I wasn't sold on the speed thing either,but after having watched Bardstown for three games I can say it makes a tremendous difference.I too thought they were soft not any longer.They handled us, Frankfort 42-13 ,and we were pretty good.I still had some doubt as to how tough they were until they put it on Danville 21-0.Should be a heck of a game wish it weren't so far away I pick Bardstown 17-10.

  3. #78
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,458

    Quote Originally Posted by pigman
    I wasn't sold on the speed thing either,but after having watched Bardstown for three games I can say it makes a tremendous difference.I too thought they were soft not any longer.They handled us, Frankfort 42-13 ,and we were pretty good.I still had some doubt as to how tough they were until they put it on Danville 21-0.Should be a heck of a game wish it weren't so far away I pick Bardstown 17-10.
    I think that's about right on.

  4. #79
    cardinalsvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    618

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay
    I agree, I think its going to be awfully fun. Your QB sounds like a good leader. I think, though, that everybody has really gotten caught up in Bardstown's speed as it applies to offense, and Mayfield's offensive versatility, etc. I want to reiterate that, I think this is going to be a defensive game. Noone has scored more than two TD's against Bardstown all season, and that is in Week 1. After Week 2, Holy Cross scored a 1st quarter TD when they were given the ball on the 5, Bethlehem kicked a FG, and Frankfort got an early TD and a very late TD when the game was out of hand. That's it! Now, I will concede that none of the teams B-Town has played probably had the versatility that Mayfield appears to have, but several of those teams had great players, and the odds of keeping everybody off the scoreboard for that long is really small.

    The 3-3-5 defense is an interesting animal. I think it does very well against just such a balanced attack. The 3 down lineman somehow occupy the line of scrimmage. With as much team speed as B-Town has defensively, you just can't get outside. When you try and go at them, there is just too much of a pile to make any significant yardage. The off-tackle runs have worked some (there is your wishbone), it just depends on what kind of night the 2 SS's are having. I don't think a running QB is going to get much. After Week 1 when Larue's QB ran for some yards, B-Town put a marked LB on the QB and its been lights out since.

    Now, if you can throw to a TE, you might get somewhere, because that's that mid-range passing. High school LB's simply don't know how to drop yet. However, if you're going to throw it, the mecanics must be there (protection for at least a 3 count, and zip delivery) elsewise its a pick, because the makeup speed of the secondary is very, very good.

    Even against the best offenses, our 3-3-5 is a good "containment" defense. Yards don't come off in big chunks. I honestly can't remember 5 plays all season where an opponent got more than 25 yards. Field position is very important because if you constantly work with a long field, more is likely to go wrong (3rd and longs, penalties) before you can score. With the way these ball control teams make time come off the clock, there simply isn't enough time against a good, contain defense to put much points up in 4 quarters.

    The advantage then with B-Town in a game where time ticks off quick is the big play threat. Miss a tackle, gap in punt coverage, trick play, and all of the sudden they're off to the races.

    I have been told that Mayfield is well-disciplined, low penalty, low turnover team that tackles well. If they do all those things right, the Birds may win. However, it is my firm belief that three (3) "scores" will win this game.

    GO TIGERS!
    Hearsay...I agree with you on your points..well taken...sounds like you are quite the student of your team....I like that...you also make points on fact and not try to sensationalize things. I respect that...but there is something that Mayfield has going for it that probably not many teams that have played Bardstown has....and that is that Mayfield's game plan all year...well basically ever since we started playing football...is that we don't depend on the 25-yard big plays...Mayfield uses the old philosohy 3-yards and a cloud of dust...now don't get me wrong...we have the weapons that can break big plays...but we are comfortable taking the ball 75-80 yards down the field on teams by just playing smashmouth football...taking nothing away from the teams that you have played...and you can say Saturday morning whether you agree or disagree with my next statement....Bardstown will not have faced a better or tougher set of backs that what they will see Friday. The Tigers may shut down Mayfields 4-headed attack and if they do I will be the first one to tip my cap and say well done and Good Luck in the finals Bardstown. And I agree that it will be a low scoring affair...both teams have out of this world defenses spearheaded by hard hitting line backers and shut down corners with blazing speed. With that being said how is the Tigers punter and place kicker...ours is pretty good and the scary thing is that both are relatively young...our punter is averaging over 40-yards per punt and our place kicker has the leg and accuracy from 45-50 yards out. I think we can both agree that those the kicking game could help determine the outcome with field position...whichever team can play the game in the other teams territory for most of the night will win the game (I know...I know...that can be said about any game...but especially one this importand and where points could be at a premium).

    I like your score of 17-14...but I think it will be the Cards winning it...but if's and but's were candy and nuts we all would have a merry Christmas...lol. Let's just hope that the game will be as close as what the poll on this thread has it at.

    GO CARDS!!! :fight:

  5. #80
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,458

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsvoice
    With that being said how is the Tigers punter and place kicker...ours is pretty good and the scary thing is that both are relatively young...our punter is averaging over 40-yards per punt and our place kicker has the leg and accuracy from 45-50 yards out. I think we can both agree that those the kicking game could help determine the outcome with field position:fight:
    Ahhhh . . . special teams. Our punter and kicker is a junior, Michael Seaman. He has been dead-on perfect with extra points in the post-season, and the snap, hold, and blocking have all been there. We've really been playing field position with the punts and until the post-season Michael was average, but he has been noteworthy on hang time and accuracy in the post-season and pinned Danville inside the 15 two or three times Friday. One time we got a guy down there who caught the ball at the 6. Lets hope these trends hold up

    Should we discuss the return game?

  6. #81

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Ho ho ho 4 in a row
    Posts
    6,797

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay
    Should we discuss the return game?
    Lets stay on kickers a minute, our guy has nailed (3) field goals from around the 45 yard mark this season, I maybe wrong but I dont think Btown can boast that nor can many other schools.

    returns for ya maybe limited to punts, the kicker has also been known to kickoff into the endzone, but when he doesnt we have been prone to give up to much field position. Both teams boast areas in the special teams dept that are better than the others but overall I think the strength of out kicker gives us a special teams advantage.

  7. #82
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,458

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpick
    Lets stay on kickers a minute, our guy has nailed (3) field goals from around the 45 yard mark this season, I maybe wrong but I dont think Btown can boast that nor can many other schools.

    returns for ya maybe limited to punts, the kicker has also been known to kickoff into the endzone, but when he doesnt we have been prone to give up to much field position. Both teams boast areas in the special teams dept that are better than the others but overall I think the strength of out kicker gives us a special teams advantage.
    Your kicker gives you a field-goal advantage, not a "special teams" advantage. (We can't kick 45-yarders, to be sure. Of course, we prefer the end zone! )

    I will put our return game up against any in the state. Its been that way for many years. In fact, B-Town has a guy from a couple of years ago who still holds the state record (I believe?) for kicks returned for scores. Track speed in the open field is a sight to behold. In fact, about midway through the season, we were returning so many kicks for TD's that teams simply stopped kicking to us on punts. They angled the kicks out of bounds and gave up anywhere from 15-25 yards field position. Sam Harp wouldn't kick to us! Frankfort let one stay in bounds and Obeng returned it for a score. I'm willing to bet a steak that Morris has already decided not to punt to Bardstown.

    Yes, I am highly overconfident in this area of the game. Still awfully respectful of Mayfield, however, and awfully worried about Friday night!

  8. #83
    Oxnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    6,684

    Bardstown has too much speed for Mayfield and will overcome the hostile environment of the away journey...Bardstown 34 - Mayfield 20.

    From personal discussions with westsider, I am only sorry that there was not some way for Lexington Christian Academy (who was just eliminated by NCC in the East) to confront Mayfield also this season. It would have been well worth the ticket price to me.

  9. #84

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Posts
    1,668

    Mayfields kickoff coverage has been horrible this year...Almost everytime they do get a return, the other team gets the ball from the 35 to 50 yd line...I believe Bardstown definately has the advantage there>>>Great kickoff return team vs poor kickoff coverage team>>>If Coach Morris is smart, which i think he will be, he won't give the Tigers too many opportunities to return one...As a matter of fact, the Cards haven't been very strong on kickoff returns either...Mcnutt does have the leg to put em in the endzone, but, why risk it and give up a possible big play...It would be ashame to let a return decide a game of this magnitude...If the Cards can avoid the bigplay, they'll be fine and right there in the end..

  10. #85
    Nothingbutnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Posts
    1,445

    You can never count Mayfield out, but Bardstown is hot right now - a little too hot for Mayfield this year!!

  11. #86
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,250

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    Why couldn't Danville work this out with us all those years? Our games at Danville have always been at 7:30, which always made getting home a horrible drive.
    Actually, that would mean the games would have started 6:30 Graves Co. time. Should not have been too bad.

  12. #87
    cardinalsvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    618

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti
    Actually, that would mean the games would have started 6:30 Graves Co. time. Should not have been too bad.
    No...it would have been 7:30 Cardinal time or CST which would be 8:30pm Bardstown time...remember the time difference

  13. #88
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,458

    Are there any other Bardstown fans on BGP besides myself and Mr. No Name? We need more diversity on this thread, I feel outgunned.

  14. #89

  15. cardinalsvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    618

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay
    Are there any other Bardstown fans on BGP besides myself and Mr. No Name? We need more diversity on this thread, I feel outgunned.
    Hopefully the cardinal backers will come out in full force and get out of their cars in the tailgate area and actually come into the stands and be loud instead of staying in their warm cars...wish they would ban that area...would make the crowd larger where it counts...we had alot of people last week although you would not know it because they stayed in the tailgate session...okay I will get off of my soapbox now...

    GO CARDS

Top