Lafayette's Wills Rare Five-Star Recruit

Page 2 of Lafayette lineman Wills emerges as rare five-star recruit from Kentucky BY BEN ROBERTS broberts@herald-leader.comJuly 22, 2015 One of Mark Stoops' stat... 27 comments | 4574 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Nonesuch, Ky
    Posts
    85

    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    In my opinion ranking or rating these player stars is kinda, not always OVERRATED. I say hard work beats talent every time. They took a pole of all the players that participated in the Super Bowls and low and behold, not one player on the rosters were 4, 5 star players in HS/ College. just saying.
    So your point is that not one player who has ever played in a superbowl has ever been a 4 or 5 star High school player?

    Who told you this and why would you believe them?

    Anyone with even basic knowledge of High School/College/Pro football game would know that this is an argument based upon absolutely nothing and to believe such a statement bizarre to say the least. There are facts and there is this. And this is opposite of facts.

    I don't understand this at all
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    383

    Quote Originally Posted by BTI View Post
    So your point is that not one player who has ever played in a superbowl has ever been a 4 or 5 star High school player?

    Who told you this and why would you believe them?

    Anyone with even basic knowledge of High School/College/Pro football game would know that this is an argument based upon absolutely nothing and to believe such a statement bizarre to say the least. There are facts and there is this. And this is opposite of facts.

    I don't understand this at all
    Man move on. Read my last post, I am over it. I explain my opinion. In fact check back later to see if the STAR/ Ranking system works out well in this situation. Hope your team that you follow have a good and bless season.

  3. #18
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    10,690

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelstat View Post
    Well now I don't recall everyone calling L. Dawson ALL WORLD. He was not even a 4 or 5 star player, according to records, plus he had a Knee injury that has slowed him down the last year and a half. Lamar was a good player and your are right a lot of schools wanted him but for a kid to come from a small town like Junction City. I that is pretty good. So I don't think he was to overrated being he was not even a 4 or 5 star player coming out of High School. I do agree that a lot of the kids are overrated but I would love to have a lot of 3 stars that will work hard and make a name themselves.

    If Willis keeps playing the way he is and can improve himself like he said. Then other teams better watch out. This kid is a Monster.
    FWIW Dawson was a high 4 Star by Rivals....

    He was a low 4 Star but after some amazing camp performances he ended up rising the rankings.

    I also think it is unfair to insinuate Dawson as overrated as well. He was starting as a True Freshman at USC. The knee injury and the drama with the USC Coaching change though was the detriment to his career.


    *EDIT- FWIW, His Final Rivals Ranking was as the #45 Player overall in the country and the #3 LB**

  4. #19
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    10,690

    Quote Originally Posted by LionEagle View Post
    Not one player on either Super Bowl team was a 4 or 5 star recruit? Where did you get this information? I'm willing to bet that is false.
    Chris Matthews was rated a 4* WR by Rivals coming out of JUCO when he came to Kentucky

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    My wife's house
    Posts
    1,420

    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Not once in any of my quote mentioned a current player(s) name. All I said was the STARS or Ranking on these kids. Sometimes it is overrated, but not all. Never mentioned that the Lafayette kid was overrated.
    Never said anything about you mentioning a current player. You mentioned L. Dawson that had played at Boyle. But I do agree with you about STARS or Ranking of the kids. Never said anything about you saying the Lafeyette Kid was overrated. All I know is that the Lafayette kid is really good.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    My wife's house
    Posts
    1,420

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    FWIW Dawson was a high 4 Star by Rivals....

    He was a low 4 Star but after some amazing camp performances he ended up rising the rankings.

    I also think it is unfair to insinuate Dawson as overrated as well. He was starting as a True Freshman at USC. The knee injury and the drama with the USC Coaching change though was the detriment to his career.


    *EDIT- FWIW, His Final Rivals Ranking was as the #45 Player overall in the country and the #3 LB**
    I went back to his senior year of High School and could not find were he was ranked 4 or 5 stars. Not saying that your wrong, I just couldn't find it that is why I was saying that he was probably a 3 star.

  7. #22
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    10,690

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelstat View Post
    I went back to his senior year of High School and could not find were he was ranked 4 or 5 stars. Not saying that your wrong, I just couldn't find it that is why I was saying that he was probably a 3 star.
    https://rivals.yahoo.com/kentucky/fo...-Dawson-104779

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,320

    Willis has a good chance to start at guard this season.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    9,816

    Isn't UK OT Landon Young also from Lafayette? Quite a run for the Generals.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,320

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    Isn't UK OT Landon Young also from Lafayette? Quite a run for the Generals.
    Yes

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    241

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    Willis has a good chance to start at guard this season.
    I believe he started at tackle during the spring game.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 16
    Posts
    97

    The star system is very overrated and if you fail to attend an Rivals event it’s hard to ever get any stars but it also what’s lot of uninformed (media)people go by. I would give the star system about a C- on getting it right. I’ve been around a long time and the recruiting game these days is 95 percent players getting hyped up and measurables height,speed,weight,strength and not who can flat out just play the game with pads on. I’ll take a football guy (game film)over a Combine guy any day but college coaches won’t always agree with that.

  13. #28
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    40,080

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman 23 View Post
    The star system is very overrated and if you fail to attend an Rivals event it’s hard to ever get any stars but it also what’s lot of uninformed (media)people go by. I would give the star system about a C- on getting it right. I’ve been around a long time and the recruiting game these days is 95 percent players getting hyped up and measurables height,speed,weight,strength and not who can flat out just play the game with pads on. I’ll take a football guy (game film)over a Combine guy any day but college coaches won’t always agree with that.
    Yes and no. There is a lot of truth in your post, especially with the exposure element, but star systems are not exact sciences. Not sure "overrated" is the word I would use, but in football using a star system to gauge a player is more challenging because physical maturation is required to excel at the collegiate level, something that is hard to evaluate. I would still rather take my chances with a five star recruit over a guy hidden in the weeds.

    Best of luck to Wills.

Top