KHSAA Board Of Control Votes In New Football Playoff Format

  1. #1
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,540

    KHSAA Board Of Control Votes In New Football Playoff Format

    Voting will be this afternoon.

    The proposed new format will do away with cross-bracketing. Instead, they would opt to have the first two rounds consist of opponents within districts going head-to-head, and then going to seeded system for rounds 3 and 4. The seeding would be based on a Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) system. This system would be based primarily on strength of schedule rather than margin of victory.

    More information on RPI: Kentucky School Board Association | FAQs about the Colorado High School Activities Association's RPI system
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,540


  3. #3
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    I hate any computerized component in high school athletics.

  4. #4
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,412

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I hate any computerized component in high school athletics.
    It's only computers doing simple math. I'm not sure what the problem would be?

  5. #5
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,540

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I hate any computerized component in high school athletics.
    Well, this is a set formula....granted, the formula will obviously be worked through by a computer.

    The long and short of it, seeding is either done by experts, or by formula. This version of the playoff seeding would be by formula in order to remove any cries of foul play on a human judgment call.

  6. #6
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    32,680

    I've always despised the intra-district play in the first two rounds, but it's whatever at this point. If they steadfastly refuse to reduce to a proper amount of classes, I say knock themselves out with whatever random stuff they want to try.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,572

    So District rivals play each other right out of the gate in the playoffs?

    Why play at all in the regular season if you have to turn right around and play them again in Round 1 and 2?

  8. #8
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    It's only computers doing simple math. I'm not sure what the problem would be?
    Maybe I didn't word it correctly. RPI would be great if everyone played the same or at least a very similar schedule. Using a formula to determine strength of a team is flawed. It is based heavily on your opponents record. If you are in a weak district with 3 or 4 weak teams on your schedule, your RPI will take a huge hit. You have to play those teams, so them sucking in a season can pull you down with them.

    In the end it gets played out on the field but there will be some teams that get screwed when it come to getting seeded.

  9. #9
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,412

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    So District rivals play each other right out of the gate in the playoffs?

    Why play at all in the regular season if you have to turn right around and play them again in Round 1 and 2?
    I wonder how often we'll see teams play in back to back weeks?

  10. #10
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,412

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Maybe I didn't word it correctly. RPI would be great if everyone played the same or at least a very similar schedule. Using a formula to determine strength of a team is flawed. It is based heavily on your opponents record. If you are in a weak district with 3 or 4 weak teams on your schedule, your RPI will take a huge hit. You have to play those teams, so them sucking in a season can pull you down with them.

    In the end it gets played out on the field but there will be some teams that get screwed when it come to getting seeded.
    But if you play in a weaker district, it goes without saying you haven't been tested as much as a team who plays in a tougher district. Why should a team automatically get rewarded for padding stats against inferior opponents, just because they have a good record?

  11. #11
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Well, this is a set formula....granted, the formula will obviously be worked through by a computer.

    The long and short of it, seeding is either done by experts, or by formula. This version of the playoff seeding would be by formula in order to remove any cries of foul play on a human judgment call.
    Why does seeding have to be done at all? It doesn't!

  12. #12
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    But if you play in a weaker district, it goes without saying you haven't been tested as much as a team who plays in a tougher district. Why should a team automatically get rewarded for padding stats against inferior opponents, just because they have a good record?
    You could play a strong out of district schedule and still get penalized due to a horrible district.

  13. #13
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,412

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    You could play a strong out of district schedule and still get penalized due to a horrible district.
    So are you worried a team might have to play a tougher opponent sooner because of seeding?

  14. #14
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,551

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    So are you worried a team might have to play a tougher opponent sooner because of seeding?
    I'm not worried about anything.

    I don't like seeding and I especially don't like reseeding once the playoffs start.

  15. #15
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,412

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I'm not worried about anything.

    I don't like seeding and I especially don't like reseeding once the playoffs start.
    I'm all for seeding, and I say we should seed the playoffs 1-32 from the beginning.

Top