KHSAA Board Of Control Votes In New Football Playoff Format

Page 2 of Voting will be this afternoon. The proposed new format will do away with cross-bracketing. Instead, they would opt to have the first two rounds consist... 124 comments | 19658 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,003

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I'm all for seeding, and I say we should seed the playoffs 1-32 from the beginning.
    I'd rather do that then reseed in the middle, but travel distances won't allow for 1-32. It's a loooooong way from Fulton to Beechwood

    Or worse #1 Pikeville host #32 Fulton! 430 miles, one way!
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,023

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I'd rather do that then reseed in the middle, but travel distances won't allow for 1-32. It's a loooooong way from Fulton to Beechwood

    Or worse #1 Pikeville host #32 Fulton! 430 miles, one way!
    They can always forfeit.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    8

    I would like to see the RPI based on Non Dostrict Games because teams are locked into district play and are not allowed to dictate that portion of their schedule.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 10
    Posts
    647

    When are they looking to implement this if it passes? The 2019 season or later?

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    833

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I wonder how often we'll see teams play in back to back weeks?
    Probably more often than not.

  6. #21
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,696

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Voting will be this afternoon.

    The proposed new format will do away with cross-bracketing. Instead, they would opt to have the first two rounds consist of opponents within districts going head-to-head, and then going to seeded system for rounds 3 and 4. The seeding would be based on a Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) system. This system would be based primarily on strength of schedule rather than margin of victory.

    More information on RPI: Kentucky School Board Association | FAQs about the Colorado High School Activities Association's RPI system
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    I've always despised the intra-district play in the first two rounds, but it's whatever at this point. If they steadfastly refuse to reduce to a proper amount of classes, I say knock themselves out with whatever random stuff they want to try.
    I'm sorry, but this is just flat out stupid. There's no reason to go back and rehash the regular season over again. If a #1 team drilled the #4 team by 40 in the regular season just a few weeks ago, are we really expecting there to be a change in the outcome a second time around? Yeah, that'll generate a lot of excitement.

    At least doing the cross bracketing, you could at have the possibility of one district being "better" from top to bottom and legitimize a 1-4 matchup. Since schedules are no where near to being equal, this was a way to try to accomodate for that. If you're going to make them replay each other in the postseason, why even have them play during the regular season?

  7. #22
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    41,645

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is just flat out stupid. There's no reason to go back and rehash the regular season over again. If a #1 team drilled the #4 team by 40 in the regular season just a few weeks ago, are we really expecting there to be a change in the outcome a second time around? Yeah, that'll generate a lot of excitement.

    At least doing the cross bracketing, you could at have the possibility of one district being "better" from top to bottom and legitimize a 1-4 matchup. Since schedules are no where near to being equal, this was a way to try to accomodate for that. If you're going to make them replay each other in the postseason, why even have them play during the regular season?
    Devil's advocate, of sorts:

    Baseball, Basketball, and Soccer all have a "district tournament" format preceding playoffs, proper. Why make football any different? (Besides the obvious guff you'll get from Jefferson County folks about Trinity, St. X and Male having to knock one another out of contention prior to the state finals.)

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,842

    Quote Originally Posted by Spark2 View Post
    I would like to see the RPI based on Non Dostrict Games because teams are locked into district play and are not allowed to dictate that portion of their schedule.
    True, but still, if your district is tough, you should get credit for it. And sometimes, even your out of district schedule is dictated by things beyond your control...travel budget/time, having good, local non districts teams to play, etc.

  9. #24
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,696

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Devil's advocate, of sorts:

    Baseball, Basketball, and Soccer all have a "district tournament" format preceding playoffs, proper. Why make football any different? (Besides the obvious guff you'll get from Jefferson County folks about Trinity, St. X and Male having to knock one another out of contention prior to the state finals.)
    Fair enough.

    However, the other sports can all play their district tournament within a few days. And yes, the outcome may be the same as the regular season. The one outlier may be baseball, where it could depend on who pitched during the regular season and who takes the mound in the district tournament.

  10. #25
    CoachJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    1,381

    While I may not be crazy about intra-district play, I'm hoping there's a chance this could open the door to doing away with those 1 vs. 4 matchups in first round.

    It's plausible that a #4 from one very strong district could (and, in fact, has) beat the #1 when matched with a relatively weak district.

    However, the regular season matchups of teams within the same district would make it clear that the #1 is far superior to their own district's #4 so playing that game in an intra-district playoff format would be moot -- better for travel budgets -- but certainly moot on the field of play.

    So then, it would make sense to then eliminate the 4's from playoff contention (having finally coached an overwhelming underdog 4-seed, I can attest first-hand that there is NOTHING good about playing that game vs. a 1-seed), give the 1-seed a bye for the first round, and have the 2 and 3 seed play for the right to meet the 1-seed to see who goes to the Region championship.

    Giving the 1-seed an outright bye would be a way to still make the regular season matter if you do have intra-district games for the first 2 rounds. Additionally, I think you'd get some pretty competitive games in those #2 vs #3 games -- with the coming referee shortage, probably would be a good thing to eliminate a large number of games for that week anyway.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    790

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Devil's advocate, of sorts:

    Baseball, Basketball, and Soccer all have a "district tournament" format preceding playoffs, proper. Why make football any different? (Besides the obvious guff you'll get from Jefferson County folks about Trinity, St. X and Male having to knock one another out of contention prior to the state finals.)
    Football would not be the same as those sports. The top 2 teams from the district move on to the regional level in those sports. This proposal would send 1 football team from each district team to the regional level.

  12. #27
    Coach Preston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 16
    Posts
    82

    Here we go again. Once more Kentucky high school football as an experiment to satisfy a few people that want a change to benefit themselves. There is a lot more to this story than most people know. Has anyone been surveyed about this? Just curious.

    In district play in the first round or two rounds is nuts. Football is not basketball. We don't need a district tournament. We play our district during the regular season.

  13. #28
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,377

    I'm okay with seeding rounds 3 and 4 as long as they aren't seeding East vs West. East teams stay on the east side and West teams stay on the west side and you do the seedings that way. I also would like to see round 1 and 2 eliminate the cross bracketing and just go with the old 1 seed from District 1 plays the.4 seed from District 2; the 2 seed from District 1 plays the 3 seed from District 2, etc.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,618

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Why does seeding have to be done at all? It doesn't!
    So the current situation is fair and equitable for every team who is trying to reach the championship?

    I think many a team would differ when you look at some of the playoff games some have had to face versus the route others had to go.

  15. #30
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,377

    I'm okay with seeding rounds 3 and 4 as long as they aren't seeding East vs West. East teams stay on the east side and West teams stay on the west side and you do the seedings that way. I also would like to see round 1 and 2 eliminate the cross bracketing and just go with the old 1 seed from District 1 plays the.4 seed from District 2; the 2 seed from District 1 plays the 3 seed from District 2, etc.

Top