1. #1
    Administrator theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    94,290

    Default Kentucky Class 1A Football Rankings for 10-1

    1. Mayfield -- OPEN
    2. Frankfort at Paris
    3. Hazard vs. #10 Harlan
    4. Beechwood vs. Bellevue
    5. Raceland at #9 Nicholas County
    6. Fairview at Paintsville (10/4)
    7. Russellville -- OPEN
    8. Williamsburg vs. Campbellsville
    9. Nicholas County vs. #5 Raceland
    10. Harlan at #3 Hazard

  2. #2
    Administrator theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    94,290
    Agree or Disagree?

  3. #3
    Premium Member sidelinedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    In the gym or on the road
    Posts
    5,798
    The AP poll is a lot different than BGP's poll.............

  4. #4
    Ram
    Ram is offline
    Moderator Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Bluegrasspreps Director of Football Operations
    Posts
    30,731
    Quote Originally Posted by sidelinedoc View Post
    The AP poll is a lot different than BGP's poll.............
    Shocker.

  5. #5
    Premium Member sidelinedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    In the gym or on the road
    Posts
    5,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Shocker.
    I laughed out loud when I read this. Hahaha

  6. #6
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261
    I think the APs may be closer to right this week...

  7. #7
    Ram
    Ram is offline
    Moderator Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Bluegrasspreps Director of Football Operations
    Posts
    30,731
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSCardinal View Post
    I think the APs may be closer to right this week...
    I really don't think so. I know some may disagree, but the AP goes more on record and history alone it seems. It may just be that I have seen more of the teams play and know about them, but I think the BGP ranking is dead on.

  8. #8
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261
    The AP has Fairview at #3.. Personally, I have no problem with that.. I know there strength of schedule is horrible, but, they're winning the games they should be and IMO, the past 2 years, they've proven to be a worthy team.. They aren't like a Nicholas Co or Bracken Co, who've never proven anything in the playoffs or beaten any teams considered contenders..

    The AP has Williamsburg at #4.. Again, I have no issue with that, either.. Harlan played LCA as close as Hazard did and Williamsburg hammered Harlan.. There only loss is to a good small school Tn team, who's 5-1 or 6-1 on the season and that was a game that could have gone either way, so, decent competition and good record and they can flat out score some points..

    The AP has Beechwood at #5.. There ranking, imo, is too high even at #5, BGP rankings have them at #4.. I think there tradition and history gets them a few extra points more than they actually deserve, but, the facts are that this team lost 21 of 22 starters from last years team, they lack size, have had some key injuries and quite frankly, haven't performed as well as some of the other teams ranked behind them.. They may prove to be a better team, but, like anyone else, they should have to prove it and not handed it..

    The AP has Raceland at #6.. I think they should be 5th, which is where BGP has them, but, I'd have them ahead of Beechwood and behind Mfd, Frank, Fairv and W'Burg.. If they handle Fairview in a couple of weeks, I would likely put them up to #3 and slide Fairview back to here, but, if the last 2 years is any indication, that'll be a tough task..

    Hazard is #7 in the AP.. I think they're probably better than that..They've played a brutal schediule and although there record isn't great, they played competitively against everyone they've played.. I'd probably move them up to #6, behind Raceland, right now.. You still need to prove you can win a close game, which, thus far, they've fallen short, but, they'll have opportunity to climb up in the next few weeks..

    I think Russellville, KCD and Harlan should round out the Top 10.. The AP is a little closer to that thinking than BGP..

    9 times out of 10, I'd give BGP props for there rankings over the AP/Lit/Cantrell, etc., but, this week in this particular poll, I think the AP is a little closer to where it should be..
    sidelinedoc and Hip-Hop Box like this.

  9. #9
    Ram
    Ram is offline
    Moderator Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Bluegrasspreps Director of Football Operations
    Posts
    30,731
    I know some may write me off as a Fairview hater, but in reality I just can not give a lot of credit to them for beating teams by 40 or 50 that they should beat by 40 or 50. Are they number 3? Or, 4, or 5? I really don't know because they haven't played anyone for me to see what they really have. Are they in the top 10? I think so, but it is really hard to gauge where and for that reason I have a problem with ranking them above teams that have proven their strength.

    I'm not sold on Williamsburg. I think they are a top 10 team, and probably around the middle of the top 10. I can live with them at the 5-6 range, but I honestly think they are more like the 7-9 range. Just what I see, no real reason for that.

    I really think Hazard and Beechwood are a question mark. I think both are good, but I don't' think either are anywhere as good as they were last year. I think we may get a little better look at Hazard this week when they play Harlan. I think Hazard will win this game, but I'm more interested in how they win it. Beechwood has had some injury problems that have caused them some problems, but I think losing the players from last year hurt worse. I honestly expect them to loose to Frankfort and Frankfort to end up playing Mayfield.

    From the East, I don't see anyone other then Raceland, Fairview, and Hazard making it to the State Championship game. Which one? I think we may get a clue to that when Raceland plays Fairview next week. The two will probably play each other again for the Regional Championship for the right to face Hazard in the Semi-Finals.

  10. #10
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    ERLANGER KENTUCKY
    Posts
    4,221
    I agree that BW lost alot of player's from last year's team. However, I do know they had alot of younger player's get alot of playing time. Also they are now getting some injured player's back and in time for District play which starts this week. I would not give Frankfort the win over BW since Frankfort has to come to BW this year. BW may be down a little however, they are far from being out. JD

  11. #11
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261
    Fairview gets the benefit of the doubt because they played the same type schedule the last 2 years and still managed to beat Raceland both years and quite handily and made decent playoff runs.. Unlike teams like Nicholas Co and Eminence, who have good records, but, have never proven the ability to win a big district or playoff game.. I also think you are selling W'Burg short.. Any team that can score like they can, can beat you. I think they're as much capable of representing the east this year as any of the 3 you mentioned..

  12. #12
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDUNHOFT View Post
    I agree that BW lost alot of player's from last year's team. However, I do know they had alot of younger player's get alot of playing time. Also they are now getting some injured player's back and in time for District play which starts this week. I would not give Frankfort the win over BW since Frankfort has to come to BW this year. BW may be down a little however, they are far from being out. JD
    I don't think anyone is counting them out, simply saying that there performance YTD doesn't justify there ranking and some of those injured players are out for the year and not coming back. I agree they're far from out and have a chance to prove there worth in the playoffs, but, until then, I think some of these other teams are more deserving of there ranking..

  13. #13
    Ram
    Ram is offline
    Moderator Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Bluegrasspreps Director of Football Operations
    Posts
    30,731
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSCardinal View Post
    Fairview gets the benefit of the doubt because they played the same type schedule the last 2 years and still managed to beat Raceland both years and quite handily and made decent playoff runs.. Unlike teams like Nicholas Co and Eminence, who have good records, but, have never proven the ability to win a big district or playoff game.. I also think you are selling W'Burg short.. Any team that can score like they can, can beat you. I think they're as much capable of representing the east this year as any of the 3 you mentioned..
    I have no doubt that Fairview is good, as I have no doubt Raceland is good. I'm just saying, I don't know how good Fairview is yet. I can let you know next Friday around 10:30 pm.

    Like I said about Williamsburg, I really don't have a good reason for doubting them. I really am at a loss with the way Hazard, Harlan, and Williamsburg have played. I have to think Hazard is better then they played against LCA, otherwise Williamsburg is world beaters. I am interested in seeing how the Williamsburg and Campbelsville game turns out. I'm sure Williamsburg will win but I think it will give some information to base our decisions on.

  14. #14
    Ram
    Ram is offline
    Moderator Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Bluegrasspreps Director of Football Operations
    Posts
    30,731
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDUNHOFT View Post
    I agree that BW lost alot of player's from last year's team. However, I do know they had alot of younger player's get alot of playing time. Also they are now getting some injured player's back and in time for District play which starts this week. I would not give Frankfort the win over BW since Frankfort has to come to BW this year. BW may be down a little however, they are far from being out. JD
    I'm not writing Beechwood off, they are Beechwood. I, more so, think Frankfort is very good. No doubt Beechwood lost a lot from last year, and they have had some bad luck with injuries this year. I hope they get those players back in good health. But, Frankfort is looking pretty good.

  15. #15
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    17,554
    Responding to MHS's comments on Beechwood, what they lost last year doesn't matter at this point. What matters is what this team has done on the field.

    1. Simon Kenton - A one loss 6A school that Beechwood led the entire game till about 5 minutes to go. Beechwood then drove the ball 70 yards only to fumble as it looked like they were going to score the winning TD. What 1A schools could beat 6A Simon Kenton or even come as close to beating them?

    2. Holmes - A loss to a 4-2 4A school with 3 starters left on defense in the second half due to injuries. What 1A schools would beat Holmes?

    3. Holy Cross - A 30 point thrashing of the defending 2A state champions.

    4. Covington Catholic - A lopsided loss to arguably one of the top 10 teams in the state. IMO, no team in 1A could beat Cov Cath.

    5. Elizabethtown - Not much value when considering rankings. A lopsided victory over a 3A team that Beechwood should beat soundly.

    6. Dixie Heights - A win over a 6A school is always credit worthy. Dixie is better than their record shows, as evidenced by a win over top 10 5A school Conner.

    A 3-3 record with wins over 2A, 3A and 6A schools and losses to high quality 6A, 4A and 4A schools. The loss to Simon Kenton should actually earn Beechwood respect because of how well they played them. In fact, I would say if Beechwood had scored on that last drive instead of fumbling, everyone who doubts Beechwood would would look at them very differently. That body of work deserves top 5 in 1A.

  16. #16
    Premium Member CoachBuckett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    8,240
    Frankfort has a little more growing up to do over the next 4 weeks. The 3 week fall break for the Panthers is showing a lack of leadership. Hope they can refocus after coming off an open week.

    I seen BW a bunch this year they will be in proper form by playoffs.
    Hip-Hop Box likes this.

  17. #17
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Responding to MHS's comments on Beechwood, what they lost last year doesn't matter at this point. What matters is what this team has done on the field.

    1. Simon Kenton - A one loss 6A school that Beechwood led the entire game till about 5 minutes to go. Beechwood then drove the ball 70 yards only to fumble as it looked like they were going to score the winning TD. What 1A schools could beat 6A Simon Kenton or even come as close to beating them?

    2. Holmes - A loss to a 4-2 4A school with 3 starters left on defense in the second half due to injuries. What 1A schools would beat Holmes?

    3. Holy Cross - A 30 point thrashing of the defending 2A state champions.

    4. Covington Catholic - A lopsided loss to arguably one of the top 10 teams in the state. IMO, no team in 1A could beat Cov Cath.

    5. Elizabethtown - Not much value when considering rankings. A lopsided victory over a 3A team that Beechwood should beat soundly.

    6. Dixie Heights - A win over a 6A school is always credit worthy. Dixie is better than their record shows, as evidenced by a win over top 10 5A school Conner.

    A 3-3 record with wins over 2A, 3A and 6A schools and losses to high quality 6A, 4A and 4A schools. The loss to Simon Kenton should actually earn Beechwood respect because of how well they played them. In fact, I would say if Beechwood had scored on that last drive instead of fumbling, everyone who doubts Beechwood would would look at them very differently. That body of work deserves top 5 in 1A.


    Dixie is the worst 5a team in NKy.. You beat HCross by 30, join the crowd, although a few of those were 50+ losses.. You beat Etown by 25, the prior 4 teams beat them by 35, 54, 31 and 49 respectively. They have 1 close win over Ft Knox, who's dressing 16 players.. Those are your 3 wins.. Sorry, but, count me unimpressed.. You lost badly to CCath, ok, that's expected, but, do you get extra points for getting soundly taken to the woodshed..There has to be some resemblence of competitveness, at least, but, there wasn't.. You lost badly to Holmes, unexpected.. Injuries played a part and Holmes has proven to be a pretty good team, but, I'm not giving credit when you basically got taken to the woodshed there, as well.. Then you have a close loss to SKenton.. That, imo, is your highlite game of the year, so far.. I just don't think that moral victory is enough to rank them as high as they're ranked. I see other teams more deserving, at this point... But, like I said, they'll have there chance to prove themselves in game 10 and in the playoffs.. Until then, it'll be Dayton, Ludlow and Bellevue, 3 50+ point victories, just because they're so bad in and of themselves..

  18. #18
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Mayfield
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSCardinal View Post
    Dixie is the worst 5a team in NKy.. You beat HCross by 30, join the crowd, although a few of those were 50+ losses.. You beat Etown by 25, the prior 4 teams beat them by 35, 54, 31 and 49 respectively. They have 1 close win over Ft Knox, who's dressing 16 players.. Those are your 3 wins.. Sorry, but, count me unimpressed.. You lost badly to CCath, ok, that's expected, but, do you get extra points for getting soundly taken to the woodshed..There has to be some resemblence of competitveness, at least, but, there wasn't.. You lost badly to Holmes, unexpected.. Injuries played a part and Holmes has proven to be a pretty good team, but, I'm not giving credit when you basically got taken to the woodshed there, as well.. Then you have a close loss to SKenton.. That, imo, is your highlite game of the year, so far.. I just don't think that moral victory is enough to rank them as high as they're ranked. I see other teams more deserving, at this point... But, like I said, they'll have there chance to prove themselves in game 10 and in the playoffs.. Until then, it'll be Dayton, Ludlow and Bellevue, 3 50+ point victories, just because they're so bad in and of themselves..
    I like what the Cardinal has to say!

    And to VOR, to answer some of your questions.
    I would take Mayfield in any game BW has played to win, with the exception of CC.
    And I think they would give them a good game.

    As for the rankings, I just go with the 4 that I think have a chance to win state.

    1 Mayfield
    2.Frankfort
    3.Beechwood
    4.Hazard

  19. #19
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Responding to MHS's comments on Beechwood, what they lost last year doesn't matter at this point. What matters is what this team has done on the field.

    1. Simon Kenton - A one loss 6A school that Beechwood led the entire game till about 5 minutes to go. Beechwood then drove the ball 70 yards only to fumble as it looked like they were going to score the winning TD. What 1A schools could beat 6A Simon Kenton or even come as close to beating them?

    2. Holmes - A loss to a 4-2 4A school with 3 starters left on defense in the second half due to injuries. What 1A schools would beat Holmes?

    3. Holy Cross - A 30 point thrashing of the defending 2A state champions.

    4. Covington Catholic - A lopsided loss to arguably one of the top 10 teams in the state. IMO, no team in 1A could beat Cov Cath.

    5. Elizabethtown - Not much value when considering rankings. A lopsided victory over a 3A team that Beechwood should beat soundly.

    6. Dixie Heights - A win over a 6A school is always credit worthy. Dixie is better than their record shows, as evidenced by a win over top 10 5A school Conner.

    A 3-3 record with wins over 2A, 3A and 6A schools and losses to high quality 6A, 4A and 4A schools. The loss to Simon Kenton should actually earn Beechwood respect because of how well they played them. In fact, I would say if Beechwood had scored on that last drive instead of fumbling, everyone who doubts Beechwood would would look at them very differently. That body of work deserves top 5 in 1A.
    It's funny, but, in one sentence you say what we lost last year has no bearing on this years team, but, then, in #3) you all of a sudden want to give credit for beating a team who did something last year, but, are clearly not the same team.. I agree, you beat the defending champions, but, one that is a shell of itself, much like this years Beechies team is a shell of itself from last year.

  20. #20
    Premium Member Toothpick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    MAYFIELD
    Posts
    5,004
    Quote Originally Posted by snakesnot_2000 View Post
    I like what the Cardinal has to say!

    And to VOR, to answer some of your questions.
    I would take Mayfield in any game BW has played to win, with the exception of CC.
    And I think they would give them a good game.

    As for the rankings, I just go with the 4 that I think have a chance to win state.

    1 Mayfield
    2.Frankfort
    3.Beechwood
    4.Hazard
    I too expect the champ to be 1 of these 4 and to date Mayfield looks to Be the favorite .

    As for BW, too would expect Mf to beat all but CC


Tags for this Thread