John Rodenberg is out at Moeller (OH)

Page 3 of This will be an interesting job search to keep an eye on.... 79 comments | 6554 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    I stand with our soldiers who defend our flag.
    Posts
    20,610

    NKY isn’t the only place with parent mafias presiding over HS athletics.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    2

    " Through These Doors Walk The Men of Moeller"........that's for you Guru

  3. #33
    Straitshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Location
    Nicholas County
    Posts
    31

    I know nothing about Cincinnati or Ohio HS Football, but I did go to a Moeller game this year. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere. An off campus/shared facility that is old and tired. Only thing I have to compare it to is a Trinity game and the experience is not even close to being the same. I expected better.

    The Moeller head coach seemed like a good dude and I don't really know what their expectations are but didn't they beat the #1 team in OH just a couple weeks ago?

  4. #34
    CardinalsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Posts
    1,223

    Quote Originally Posted by Straitshooter View Post
    I know nothing about Cincinnati or Ohio HS Football, but I did go to a Moeller game this year. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere. An off campus/shared facility that is old and tired. Only thing I have to compare it to is a Trinity game and the experience is not even close to being the same. I expected better.

    The Moeller head coach seemed like a good dude and I don't really know what their expectations are but didn't they beat the #1 team in OH just a couple weeks ago?
    They DID.

    -CF

  5. #35
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    135,559

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRain View Post
    " Through These Doors Walk The Men of Moeller"........that's for you Guru
    What a pleasant surprise, welcome to BGP @PurpleRain

    I remember going to sports camp at Moeller for years and seeing that phrase every day.

  6. #36
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    135,559

    Quote Originally Posted by Straitshooter View Post
    I know nothing about Cincinnati or Ohio HS Football, but I did go to a Moeller game this year. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere. An off campus/shared facility that is old and tired. Only thing I have to compare it to is a Trinity game and the experience is not even close to being the same. I expected better.

    The Moeller head coach seemed like a good dude and I don't really know what their expectations are but didn't they beat the #1 team in OH just a couple weeks ago?
    Agree.

    Moeller does not have their own field and I thought Moeller games have felt sterile for decades.

    If I was Coach Eviston there is no way I would take the Moeller job unless it was a 50K salary upgrade over CCH.

    Let's face it everyone, Covington Catholic is the Trinity of NKY, Moeller is just "one of the guys" in Cincy.

    I will go even further, at this point in time I think Moeller is a step down from CovCath.

  7. #37
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron. GCL South apologist.
    Posts
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by Straitshooter View Post
    I know nothing about Cincinnati or Ohio HS Football, but I did go to a Moeller game this year. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere. An off campus/shared facility that is old and tired. Only thing I have to compare it to is a Trinity game and the experience is not even close to being the same. I expected better.

    The Moeller head coach seemed like a good dude and I don't really know what their expectations are but didn't they beat the #1 team in OH just a couple weeks ago?
    The location of Moeller means they can't make a big stadium. They have one, but it's very small - pretty much what you'd say at grade school stadiums (if my memory is correct).

    That being said, Lockland Stadium (where they play their home games) can be a good place for a game. But comparing it to Ballaban Field, The Pit, and Lasalle's stadium, it's not close.

  8. #38
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron. GCL South apologist.
    Posts
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by Don't_Hate_the_Playa View Post
    Moeller would be a big step up for Eviston - a real challenge with huge upside.

    GCL and top tier D-I Ohio vs. 5A Kentucky? Not even close. If LaSalle opens up it's a similar opportunity even though they are D-II.

    If the guy wants to take the next step at the HS coaching level this would be it. Oh - and I think Moe could find a little $ to make it worth his time.

    It's also possible this job attracts more qualified, appealing candidates...
    Another thing is that the GCL could provide for a better opportunity in the future. Kerry Coombs, Urban Meyer are two that went from GCL to solid coaching jobs.

  9. #39
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,817

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillVille Cardinal51 View Post
    Anyone have any insight into his teaching certifications? I could be wrong, but when he was at CovCath I think he met the requirements to be a Catechist(religion teacher) but Didn’t have a traditional teaching certificate.

    If that’s still the case, I’d be surprised if he went anywhere outside of Cincinnati and the GCL.
    Is football a religion in Cincinnati parochial schools?

  10. #40
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,472

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDog View Post
    Another thing is that the GCL could provide for a better opportunity in the future. Kerry Coombs, Urban Meyer are two that went from GCL to solid coaching jobs.
    Kerry Coombs was at Colerain which is not a GCL school.

    Urban Meyer coached one year, his first year in coaching, at Saint Xavier. I don't think that had much impact on his coaching career path, although he probably made some connections while at St Xavier.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    2

    Old Grappler I think it's actually a required class......for instance when people bring up Elder and Moeller the talk always turns to football....in reality Moeller has 9 State Football Titles but also 8 State Baseball Titles add in the likes of the Bells, Larkins and Griffeys that's some serious baseball talent. Elder has 2 State Football Titles but has 12 State Baseball Titles......but all that matters is where you finished in the GCL in football hahaha

  12. #42
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron. GCL South apologist.
    Posts
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Kerry Coombs was at Colerain which is not a GCL school.

    Urban Meyer coached one year, his first year in coaching, at Saint Xavier. I don't think that had much impact on his coaching career path, although he probably made some connections while at St Xavier.
    Brain fart... Can't believe I did that! I guess I was more so thinking about the big name schools in Cincy.

    Anyways, you're correct in that he made connections. That's what I was trying to get at. I know there's always rumors about Specht leaving and possibly getting a job at OSU, but again - rumors.

  13. #43
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    135,559

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRain View Post
    Old Grappler I think it's actually a required class......for instance when people bring up Elder and Moeller the talk always turns to football....in reality Moeller has 9 State Football Titles but also 8 State Baseball Titles add in the likes of the Bells, Larkins and Griffeys that's some serious baseball talent. Elder has 2 State Football Titles but has 12 State Baseball Titles......but all that matters is where you finished in the GCL in football hahaha
    Let's not leave out Basketball and Wrestling at both schools!

  14. #44
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    135,559

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDog View Post
    Brain fart... Can't believe I did that! I guess I was more so thinking about the big name schools in Cincy.

    Anyways, you're correct in that he made connections. That's what I was trying to get at. I know there's always rumors about Specht leaving and possibly getting a job at OSU, but again - rumors.
    It happens to the best of us @DukeDog

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    318

    Quote Originally Posted by Don't_Hate_the_Playa View Post
    Moeller would be a big step up for Eviston - a real challenge with huge upside.

    GCL and top tier D-I Ohio vs. 5A Kentucky? Not even close. If LaSalle opens up it's a similar opportunity even though they are D-II.

    If the guy wants to take the next step at the HS coaching level this would be it. Oh - and I think Moe could find a little $ to make it worth his time.

    It's also possible this job attracts more qualified, appealing candidates...
    He won’t even be on Moellers list....... move on

Top