Is your school a football or basketball school?

Page 3 of If this is in the wrong section, please move it to the correct one. Is your school more successful and invested in basketball or football or maybe both... 51 comments | 4491 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    727

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    They are good at every sport.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    8,808

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    Yes he did. Late 80s early 90s. Raymond Jr had some great teams at Belfry.
    Just my humble opinion, but as someone who played on Justice's last Belfry team, I honestly think that the lack of competitiveness for all these years can be attributed to making a move away from Justice that may have been premature.

    Justice took Belfry to the Regional Finals my Freshman year and only lost to a great Paintsville team in a hard fought game. Belfry had high expectations the next year and laid an egg against an absolutely brutal schedule. The KHSAA listing for that year is actually incorrect as I remember specifically going to Madison Central against Marquise Estill and Kenneal Jenkins and losing in a game I got dunked on by Jenkins. We also went to Mason County and lost to I believe Fleming County and it is not shown, I also want to say we lost to Lafayette in the AIT. But I digress...

    Long story short, Belfry only won a handful of games and it coincided with longtime Williamson, WV Head Coach David Hatfield being interested since his daughter was at Belfry so Belfry made the move for Hatfield. I loved Coach Hatfield and he is a great man, but I honestly think if Justice had that Belfry team 1999/2000 team he would have had a lot a ton of success and would have been able to weather the storm for several more years with "good, but not great" type of teams that would have won Disirct Titles and a Regional Tourney Round or Two here or there.

    Hatfield was in the twilight of his coaching career and I don't think he had the passion or "want to" that Justice would have had. They were two totally different styles of coaches and just speaking personally I felt like myself and the guys in my graduating class would have best responded to the aggressive disciplinarian style of Justice a little better.

    It also then begs the question that if Justice could have held on a little longer at Belfry and Cameron Justice came up through the system what kind of lasting impact would that have made? I remember watching little Cameron shoot hundreds of shots on his little Playskool goal during practice on the end line.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    2,458

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Beechwood is a Football (and Baseball) School.

    Basketball has always been an afterthought.

    Please be sure to list what school you are talking about.
    Band might be ahead of baseball.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    14,504

    Historical success (i.e. state championships) NewCath is a baseball school. Recently, NewCath has been a mix of basketball and football. Both have ebbed and flowed together since at least the mid 70s.

  5. #35
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    125,143

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Band might be ahead of baseball.
    I can tell you, the Band outranked the Football Team when I went to Beechwood. They could use the football field all the time, we could not. Bottom line is the Band used to tear the football field up and wear abstract patterns into it.

  6. #36
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    60,616

    I would say Bracken County is a basketball school, although football excitement really increased this season.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    2,458

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Band might be ahead of baseball.
    Beechwood's band was State Champs 6 of last 7 years, with approx. 25% of all HS students participating. Band competitions have larger crowds than most basketball games, both home and away. Great program at an awesome well rounded educational experience at an academic and football school.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    2,458

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I can tell you, the Band outranked the Football Team when I went to Beechwood. They could use the football field all the time, we could not. Bottom line is the Band used to tear the football field up and wear abstract patterns into it.
    Your sounding more like a guy from my generation. My first year of coaching, we too had conflicts with band director, and we weren't very good. He showed us by having his season's show titled..."Bridge Over Troubled Waters". Still hate that song.

    Isn't that BW artificial turf complex an awesome solution?

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Posts
    2,196

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Just my humble opinion, but as someone who played on Justice's last Belfry team, I honestly think that the lack of competitiveness for all these years can be attributed to making a move away from Justice that may have been premature.

    Justice took Belfry to the Regional Finals my Freshman year and only lost to a great Paintsville team in a hard fought game. Belfry had high expectations the next year and laid an egg against an absolutely brutal schedule. The KHSAA listing for that year is actually incorrect as I remember specifically going to Madison Central against Marquise Estill and Kenneal Jenkins and losing in a game I got dunked on by Jenkins. We also went to Mason County and lost to I believe Fleming County and it is not shown, I also want to say we lost to Lafayette in the AIT. But I digress...

    Long story short, Belfry only won a handful of games and it coincided with longtime Williamson, WV Head Coach David Hatfield being interested since his daughter was at Belfry so Belfry made the move for Hatfield. I loved Coach Hatfield and he is a great man, but I honestly think if Justice had that Belfry team 1999/2000 team he would have had a lot a ton of success and would have been able to weather the storm for several more years with "good, but not great" type of teams that would have won Disirct Titles and a Regional Tourney Round or Two here or there.

    Hatfield was in the twilight of his coaching career and I don't think he had the passion or "want to" that Justice would have had. They were two totally different styles of coaches and just speaking personally I felt like myself and the guys in my graduating class would have best responded to the aggressive disciplinarian style of Justice a little better.

    It also then begs the question that if Justice could have held on a little longer at Belfry and Cameron Justice came up through the system what kind of lasting impact would that have made? I remember watching little Cameron shoot hundreds of shots on his little Playskool goal during practice on the end line.
    So much I wanna type.......but won't.

    I will say I disliked Coach Justice when I played for him, but as I've become an adult and walked a little in shoes similar to his, I'll say I respect and love him for the lessons he taught me.

    They 99/00 team had Region Title written all over it........

  10. #40
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    8,808

    Quote Originally Posted by CBDV View Post
    So much I wanna type.......but won't.

    I will say I disliked Coach Justice when I played for him, but as I've become an adult and walked a little in shoes similar to his, I'll say I respect and love him for the lessons he taught me.

    They 99/00 team had Region Title written all over it........
    I legitimately would like to hear some additional thoughts on the subject, even if they differ.

    Much like you this is a revisionist thing for me looking back at it all these years removed and this is honestly the first time I have even addressed the subject internally.

    Justice was a hard egg for sure.. quick temper.... very aggressive. Hatfield was the polar opposite. Just a genuinely nice and caring guy, maybe even too nice, soft-spoken, more about pushing internal motivation.

    I learned a lot from both, but just looking at it in hindsight I can't help but think that maybe things would have worked out better under the tough nosed Justice.

    Once again, would love to see someone else's perspective as I have not ever discussed this topic before..even if by a PM.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Ho ho ho 4 in a row
    Posts
    6,659

    Mayfield is a football school and football town and it always has been that way. I see some similarities to the Friday Night Lights movie when thinking back to my childhood. That is not really the case today so much for a lot of reasons. Namely the consolidation of the 7 small community schools that did not have football in Graves County. Before they merged the county and the city supported Mayfield and there was not nearly as much to do on Friday nights back then so everyone was at the Cardinals games. Today, Mayfield Football is still a huge source of pride for the little rural community in the middle of nowhere. Even today the barber shops and restaurants are filled with the talk of Cardinal football. It is a unique situation that very few can say they experienced outside of the attempts at recreation through movies. I love listening to the old timers talk of games like it was yesterday from 50-60 years ago.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Location
    Mayfield, Ky
    Posts
    532

    Graves county
    Basketball school...sense 1985 they have a 722-277 record (.723)
    24 district championships, 8 Regional Titles, 2 Elite Eight Appearances, 1 Final Four Appearance, Twenty-four 20+ win seasons. 24 consecutive winning seasons.
    Although, our football team was class 5a state runner-up in 2014. Knocking off bowling Green at bowling Green along the way and ending their 53 game win streak against in state opponents!
    But most money, etc is spent on basketball endeavors!

  13. #43
    Mike Honcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 17
    Posts
    82

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    I would say Bracken County is a basketball school, although football excitement really increased this season.
    To say that Bracken County is a basketball school is an understatement!


    Archery
    Baseball
    Cheer leading
    Football
    Track
    Cross Country

    Pee Wee Basketball
    Middle School Basketball
    JV Girls Basketball
    Varsity Girls Basketball
    JV Basketball
    Varsity Basketball

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    1,754

    10 years ago I would say with 100% certainty that X was a football school. Currently, I'm just not sure; I would have to say they're still a football school, but baseball might be sneaking their way ahead of them.

    I guess in reality it's a swimming school and every other sport is trying to keep up.

  15. #45
    Vito Corleone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,150

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    I would say Bracken County is a basketball school, although football excitement really increased this season.
    You can't really expect anything different when you've had football for 10 years and basketball for 100. Culture isn't something that changes overnight.

Top