Is the KHSAA thinking about changing the first two rounds of the football playoffs?

Page 2 of Is there a movement to go to inter-district playoff matchups for the first two rounds of the playoffs? From a travel perspective it makes sense. Howeve... 47 comments | 3337 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,219

    I understand this push is primarily coming from a select few Superintendents that want to avoid playing schools like Belfry and Highlands as long as they can.

    I also understand the coaches definitely do NOT want this.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,413

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I understand this push is primarily coming from a select few Superintendents that want to avoid playing schools like Belfry and Highlands as long as they can.

    I also understand the coaches definitely do NOT want this.
    Ridiculous, isn't it? Team A wants the rules changed to avoid playing Team B as long as possible. Tough luck for Team C, who now has to play Team B twice - regular season and first round of the playoffs.

  3. #18
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,219

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Ridiculous, isn't it? Team A wants the rules changed to avoid playing Team B as long as possible. Tough luck for Team C, who now has to play Team B twice - regular season and first round of the playoffs.
    Politics hits the Prep Ranks...

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,668

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I understand this push is primarily coming from a select few Superintendents that want to avoid playing schools like Belfry and Highlands as long as they can.

    I also understand the coaches definitely do NOT want this.
    Are those specific examples of where the noise is coming from, or just a general example?

  5. #20

    Join Date
    May 06
    Posts
    1,196

    Yet we do this in basketball. Lol.

  6. #21
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,219

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    Are those specific examples of where the noise is coming from, or just a general example?
    Would you want to play Belfry or Highlands when you could play little sisters of the poor a couple more times and pad your record and reputation?

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,668

    No but that didn't answer my question.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,687

    Just another attempt at making football more like basketball....Just take the top 2 teams per district and move on.........The only thing that basketball has that football wants is the ability to get the balls out sooner.............Basketball can keep their playoff format to themselves for eternity.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    May 06
    Posts
    1,196

    Quote Originally Posted by jlow View Post
    Just another attempt at making football more like basketball....Just take the top 2 teams per district and move on.........The only thing that basketball has that football wants is the ability to get the balls out sooner.............Basketball can keep their playoff format to themselves for eternity.
    We can get our balls out anytime we want...Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity. You tee'd that one up for me. We can have open field anytime we want, no limitations anymore.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,919

    Quote Originally Posted by TIGER1988 View Post
    BAD IDEA. Don't you just nullify the regular season? What if one district has the best two or three teams of the two districts? Boyle and Lex Cath are great examples this past season. You not only take them out even earlier, but you also allow a for a blowout in later rounds when the other district is weak.
    Or when you had T, X ,H and M all in the same district.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,687

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse78 View Post
    We can get our balls out anytime we want...Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity. You tee'd that one up for me. We can have open field anytime we want, no limitations anymore.
    Poor wording on my part..........Lets just say that open gym and open field are completely different animals.........

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,847

    Don't like this at all.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,668

    Quote Originally Posted by TIGER1988 View Post
    BAD IDEA. Don't you just nullify the regular season? What if one district has the best two or three teams of the two districts? Boyle and Lex Cath are great examples this past season. You not only take them out even earlier, but you also allow a for a blowout in later rounds when the other district is weak.
    I get the overall idea, and agree with you because I think the current system allows for better overall competition.

    I disagree, though about Boyle and LexCath, they are not good examples for your argument this past season as one district didn't have 2 or 3 dominant teams. Each district's #1 moved on to the regional finals and that region played like chalk.

    #2 Boyle County lost in round 2 to #1 Central, then #1 LexCath and #1 Central met in round 3 just like it is supposed to work.

    In this new proposal (which didn't pass thankfully) Boyle would have faced LexCath in round 2 and LexCath and Central would have still met in round 3, IMO.

    A better example for your argument would be Bell Co / Corbin who swept Region 4, or Belfry / Lawrence who swept Region 3. In those cases, they would have had to play earlier.

    In either case, however, I think the semifinal matchups would have been the same so the overall effect would have been nonexistent.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,668

    I'm glad this measure didn't pass, at least for Classes 2-6.

    According to the press release they are going to poll the 1A representatives and see if they would prefer the intra-district matchups for the first two rounds and decide later. 1A schools were the ones where the travel burden was felt the most, according to the KHSAA.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,847

    The 4 class system was just fine.

Top