Is NKY one upset away from having no State Finalist???

Page 4 of Dayton, Ludlow, Green Co (winless in 04) and Grant should have Newport ready to peak. Strong...... 76 comments | 2993 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,216

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    Also don't forget that the AAA semifinals will be played in N. Ky will it not? Having that game at home is a huge advantage. How many times in the last 20 years has an eastern Kentucky school come up here and beaten a northern Kentucky AAA school in the semis? Not very often that's for sure.
    I can only think of two. When Rock beat CovCath in the pouring rain and about 92 when Bell Co beat CovCath in the mud of Park Hills 12 - 3. Bell went on to whip Meade for the title the next week.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan
    The Region 4 winner in AAA looks to be Ashland/Bell/Rock while in A it looks to be either Pikeville/Lynn Camp. If NewCath/Beechwood and CovCath/Highlands are fortunate enough to win Region 3, those look like the teams they will be facing.
    Of course we will all know more after the opener against LexCath but NCC/Beechwood might get a test (upset?) from Lex. Christian before even getting out of the region.

  3. #48
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,534

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    I will repectfully disagree that Webb (while good) is a better back than Myrion.
    Heading into their SR years I'd take Webb hands down. And that's from as big a fan as you get in reguards to Myrion...

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Anyway it is totally possible that either Lloyd or Newport COULD get to a final because 2A always seems to be more open. But before we slot them in Papa's lets remember that both had running clocks against them when they played a 1A team that did not even get out of the region. That would seem to be a very tall order to improve that much in one year.
    NCC drilled Lloyd in 03, and they were a missed PAT from OT with Belfry. It shows how much better the Top of 1A is when compared to Lloyd's Region in 2A. They scored 55+ points in every game between NCC and Belfry, so that game has little to do with getting to the 2A Final...

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,216

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Of course we will all know more after the opener against LexCath but NCC/Beechwood might get a test (upset?) from Lex. Christian before even getting out of the region.

    For that matter LexCath with the great QB could end winning the AAA Region 3 as well.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Heading into their SR years I'd take Webb hands down. And that's from as big a fan as you get in reguards to Myrion...


    NCC drilled Lloyd in 03, and they were a missed PAT from OT with Belfry. It shows how much better the Top of 1A is when compared to Lloyd's Region in 2A. They scored 55+ points in every game between NCC and Belfry, so that has little to do with getting to the 2A Final...

    Noted.

    But note that what I'm saying is it won't take a spectacular team to block Lloyd or Newport's road to the final. A slightly better than average team could do it and only one of them can make it out of the region. It has happened every other year and could change this year but then again maybe not.

  6. #51
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,534

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Noted.

    But note that what I'm saying is it won't take a spectacular team to block Lloyd or Newport's road to the final. A slightly better than average team could do it and only one of them can make it out of the region. It has happened every other year and could change this year but then again maybe not.
    Russell and Fleming lost quite a bit. As did Belfry and P-Burg. It is the weakest I've seen this side look as a whole in a long time. Throw in if Lloyd or Newport get the #1 District seed, they play at home all the way to the carpet, and this is the best shot in many years for one of the two to get to PJCS. Will it happen? That's why they play the games...

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Retired From BGP
    Posts
    6,680

    Class A, Class AA, and Class AAA have a very good chance of making it to the finals going into the first week. I can't see all three being upset in the playoffs. I think to say otherwise is wishfull thinking at best. Neither Beechwood or HHS choke in big games and NCC, CCH and LLoyd are all capable of playing their way there too. If I was in Vegas.......

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman32
    Class A, Class AA, and Class AAA have a very good chance of making it to the finals going into the first week. I can't see all three being upset in the playoffs. I think to say otherwise is wishfull thinking at best. Neither Beechwood or HHS choke in big games and NCC, CCH and LLoyd are all capable of playing their way there too. If I was in Vegas.......
    Well if you were in Vegas (and only using the terms not really talking odds)how many pretzel sticks would you get back for the 10 you put up? Maybe one, since an NKY team has made it to the finals every year since it 1978??

    Now how many pretzel sticks would you get back for the 10 you put up that no team would make it to the finals in 2005? Maybe 200?

    Its like saying is next year the year the Atlanta Braves do not make the playoffs? It is probable that they will, but possible that they will not.

    And I think this year 2005 is the most probable year in a long, long time because the two traditionally NKY dominant classes (A, AAA) do not have a heavy favorite for the state title, in the AAAA class it is hard to find even a favorite to win the district, and the AA teams have to hope no one has improved off of last year.

  9. #54
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,534

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Well if you were in Vegas (and only using the terms not really talking odds)how many pretzel sticks would you get back for the 10 you put up? Maybe one, since an NKY team has made it to the finals every year since it 1978??

    Now how many pretzel sticks would you get back for the 10 you put up that no team would make it to the finals in 2005? Maybe 200?

    Its like saying is next year the year the Atlanta Braves do not make the playoffs? It is probable that they will, but possible that they will not.

    And I think this year 2005 is the most probable year in a long, long time because the two traditionally NKY dominant classes (A, AAA) do not have a heavy favorite for the state title, in the AAAA class it is hard to find even a favorite to win the district, and the AA teams have to hope no one has improved off of last year.
    As I asked before. Stop taking shots in the dark. Who's going to travel to NKY and do it???

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Retired From BGP
    Posts
    6,680

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Well if you were in Vegas (and only using the terms not really talking odds)how many pretzel sticks would you get back for the 10 you put up? Maybe one, since an NKY team has made it to the finals every year since it 1978??

    Now how many pretzel sticks would you get back for the 10 you put up that no team would make it to the finals in 2005? Maybe 200?

    Its like saying is next year the year the Atlanta Braves do not make the playoffs? It is probable that they will, but possible that they will not.

    And I think this year 2005 is the most probable year in a long, long time because the two traditionally NKY dominant classes (A, AAA) do not have a heavy favorite for the state title, in the AAAA class it is hard to find even a favorite to win the district, and the AA teams have to hope no one has improved off of last year.
    I'm not buying it. I disagree with paragraph four. We have two of the favorites in NKY right now, if not three.

    Add to that our 4A teams have gotten consistently better. Is this their year again? Who knows. But after being lucky to win one game against the 'ville to knocking them out in round two is a considerable improvement. We all know who I believe should have went to the carpet in 4A last season and what I believe the outcome would have been. Whos to say it won't happen again. An all NKY 4A district has made us stronger. It could happen.

    After last season, I think it's safe to say it's not a given that T and X will meet up in the finals.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    As I asked before. Stop taking shots in the dark. Who's going to travel to NKY and do it???
    Remembering the one upset theory (most likely needed in Class A) whereby Lex. Christian or the EKY (Pikeville/ Lynn Camp) would knock off the NCC/ Beechwood survivor....

    In Class AAA any of these could be a candidate to come to NKY and win:
    Rockcastle (returns a lot on both sides of the ball)
    Bell Co (lost a few to graduation but gave a stellar Highlands team fits, got to ask yourself which team lost more)
    Ashland (could be undefeated against KY competition)
    LexCath (QB certainly capable)
    Harrison County (Lots of starters back, will score and if defense is on watch out)

  12. #57
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,534

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Remembering the one upset theory (most likely needed in Class A) whereby Lex. Christian or the EKY (Pikeville/ Lynn Camp) would knock off the NCC/ Beechwood survivor....

    In Class AAA any of these could be a candidate to come to NKY and win:
    Rockcastle (returns a lot on both sides of the ball)
    Bell Co (lost a few to graduation but gave a stellar Highlands team fits, got to ask yourself which team lost more)
    Ashland (could be undefeated against KY competition)
    LexCath (QB certainly capable)
    Harrison County (Lots of starters back, will score and if defense is on watch out)
    Not who MIGHT do it. Who will???

  13. #58
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,534

    And I still contest the thread title says it all. No NKY is not one upset away. They are two away...

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Not who MIGHT do it. Who will???

    IMO Harrison County

    Has the offense that can score on Highlands/CovCath and a defense that will be good enough to keep them in the game since I see Highlands or CovCath as capable on offense but not being ultra explosive this year.

  15. #60
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,534

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    IMO Harrison County

    Has the offense that can score on Highlands/CovCath and a defense that will be good enough to keep them in the game since I see Highlands or CovCath as capable on offense but not being ultra explosive this year.
    That leaves 1A...

Top