Intra-District Playoffs - Great work Commissioner Tackett

Page 2 of I can tell from reading BGP most of you disagree with my sentiment here and stance on Commissioner Tackett and I think you are all wrong. I believe he ... 41 comments | 4664 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,097

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    6 classes would be too many if Kentucky didn't have such a disparity in the sizes of schools playing football.
    So then, the timeless question...Why SIX classes in football because of the disparity in the enrollment of schools playing football, but only ONE class in baseball, soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball, etc?

    Why does the enrollment of these schools only matter when involving football?
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    HedgeHog8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    #FearTheVeer
    Posts
    81

    Without all the debate about # of classes and who makes the playoffs...

    I agree with the decision and @theguru . Regardless of who our team was to play in any sport, if we have to travel pretty far there just won't be as big of a following. Now if we would have to travel to Belfry, Corbin or Central we are talking about even less fans making the trip. This in turn hurts the gate at the game.

    On the other hand, if its the postseason and all you need to do is make the trip to Maysville or Flemingsburg to support your team, you can stop at the Ponderosa, catch the game and support your school.

    There is also the kids to keep in mind. It may be different for other schools who play out of state games and get on tv every other week, but our kids look forward to seeing the kids they played against last year, remember their #'s and add them on social media. They see them at other sporting events and some even know each other outside of school functions. Our kids seem excited to have the opportunity to play the same team twice if they have a history with that team. All they got to do now is make the darn playoffs!

  3. #18
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,390

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    So then, the timeless question...Why SIX classes in football because of the disparity in the enrollment of schools playing football, but only ONE class in baseball, soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball, etc?

    Why does the enrollment of these schools only matter when involving football?
    Because size matters more in football. A Shelby Valley team can win the Sweet 16, but there is no way they could ever even compete in 6A football.

    In those other sports 3, 4 or 5 top athletes can give their team a chance against anyone...in football you need more than a handful to compete at the highest level.

  4. #19
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    732

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Difference in size between what would be the largest and smallest school in each class.

    More than any other sport numbers matter in football. Our current spread within 6 classes is similar to the size comparisons in other larger states.
    I understand what you’re saying, but I think your reasoning is why 4 classes is better than having 2. That size difference you show is not like Beechwood playing Trinity. it’s ok, schools will never all be the same size perfectly. 6 is just obviously too many, it makes it look like a joke. Unless there are reports that there is going to be a big population spike in Ky very soon.

  5. #20
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,390

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    I understand what you’re saying, but I think your reasoning is why 4 classes is better than having 2. That size difference you show is not like Beechwood playing Trinity. it’s ok, schools will never all be the same size perfectly. 6 is just obviously too many, it makes it look like a joke. Unless there are reports that there is going to be a big population spike in Ky very soon.
    If you look at it in a vacuum, you'd want schools of somewhat comparable size in each class. Kentucky's 6 classes are set in a similar manner to other states when you compare the sizes of the largest and smallest schools in each class. The issue in Kentucky is there is a wide spread of school sizes but comparatively few schools playing football.

    The way the classes are divided aren't a joke, there just aren't as many schools in each class due to Kentucky not being overly populous.

  6. #21
    ColonelMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Location
    Pegasus Sports Network - Oldham County, KY
    Posts
    5,577

    I do think there are too many classes, but not overly so. If we dropped to five classes, for example, the champ would be able to say they beat about 80 teams - much more impressive than being the champs of a 40 team class. But the disparity in school population within that class would be huge. As has already been pointed out, it doesn't take a lot of kids to win at basketball, cross country, tennis, golf, etc. But football simply requires a significant number of more athletes to be successful.

    But I hear an overriding concern among the postings about making sure the best team wins. Teams improve during the year; it's possible that the district champ and runner up are not the best teams in their district at the end of the year. I want the team playing the best ball at the end of the year to win it all. (and some #4 seeds have actually done very, very well - in fact, I'm pretty sure Shelby County once won the title after finishing as a #4, and South Oldham, with Donnell Gordon, reached the SF after finishing as a #4 seed, before losing to Billy Jack Haskins and Paducah Tilghman ). It doesn't happen often, and perhaps we don't need to let in ALL #4s . How about instituting a "wild card" system, whereby we whittle down the number of teams making the playoffs, but have a wild card or two to allow for the late-bloomers??

    I am very much opposed to only two teams from districts making the playoffs. Too many teams will be eliminated relatively early in the season, eliminating the school excitement, likely lowering the gate, and servicing as a dis-incentive to the players. Granted, it's a "learning opportunity", but so is a playoff game.

    There was a lot of excitement in the final week of the season last year as teams jockeyed for either a playoff berth or better seeding. The excitement and motivation was there almost all season for nearly everyone. I like that.

    And - the 800 pound elephant in the room - we do have to remember that, if it weren't for football and boys' basketball gate income, each school would find it difficult to fund some of their other "non-revenue" sports. Even one extra playoff game is beneficial to the Athletic Director, who's balancing ever-more-thin athletic budgets.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    1,780

    No one is right or wrong on this issue...What's good for St. X, Trinity, Scott Co is not going to be the same thing as what's best for Fulton Co or Fulton City or Phelps. It's never going to be equal.
    I have not always been a fan of the 6 class system and I think that has created a lot of continuing problems with football. However, now we have 48 teams playing in the 3rd week of the playoffs instead of 32...those are exciting times. We have 24 (Instead of 16) teams practicing on Thanksgiving weekend...That's special...We have 12 teams playing on the carpet representing their communities and schools instead of 8. Believe it or not, there are 4 seeds who are happy to make the playoffs and their kids are excited to play what might be 1 last game together.

    I also believe most everyone would agree that intra district play in the playoffs was a colossal failure in 2005-2006, most coaches if being honest about whats good for the game will attest to this.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    67

    1st and second team in each district rank them and lets play. Think about some of these schools that get beat by 60, then turn around and have to possibly play the same team 2 weeks later? Like the outcome is going to be any different. Having all the classes is fine just limit the teams in the playoffs. Player safety could be a reasonable reason to limit teams getting in the playoffs. Less games, less injuries, and trust me the teams getting waxed the first week of the playoffs have multi sport athletes that are waiting to transfer to the spirit animal of Kentucky high school sports aka basketball. So all of these teams getting in have an adverse affect on the schools basketball season too especially if they get hurt playing a meaningless game which they lose by 60, I’m surprised they let anything interfere with Saint basketball.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,097

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Because size matters more in football. A Shelby Valley team can win the Sweet 16, but there is no way they could ever even compete in 6A football.

    In those other sports 3, 4 or 5 top athletes can give their team a chance against anyone...in football you need more than a handful to compete at the highest level.
    If enrollment matters in one sport, it matters in all. That's simple math, the more kids a school has to choose their team from, the more likely they are to succeed.

    It is impossible for me to grasp the logic behind classifying one sport to the myriad of SIX classes, but forcing other team sports to continue to play for ONE state championship.

    If the logic dictates we need SIX classes for football, then how does that same logic not dictate we need 3 or 4 for all the other team sports?

  10. #25
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,390

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    If enrollment matters in one sport, it matters in all. That's simple math, the more kids a school has to choose their team from, the more likely they are to succeed.

    It is impossible for me to grasp the logic behind classifying one sport to the myriad of SIX classes, but forcing other team sports to continue to play for ONE state championship.

    If the logic dictates we need SIX classes for football, then how does that same logic not dictate we need 3 or 4 for all the other team sports?
    Because all sports aren't the same, it's as simple as that. In football it's as much for safety as competition. Playing a much larger team isn't dangerous for the players in other sports, like it is for football.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 10
    Posts
    633

    Quote Originally Posted by Zonelife View Post
    1st and second team in each district rank them and lets play. Think about some of these schools that get beat by 60, then turn around and have to possibly play the same team 2 weeks later? Like the outcome is going to be any different. Having all the classes is fine just limit the teams in the playoffs. Player safety could be a reasonable reason to limit teams getting in the playoffs. Less games, less injuries, and trust me the teams getting waxed the first week of the playoffs have multi sport athletes that are waiting to transfer to the spirit animal of Kentucky high school sports aka basketball. So all of these teams getting in have an adverse affect on the schools basketball season too especially if they get hurt playing a meaningless game which they lose by 60, I’m surprised they let anything interfere with Saint basketball.
    With district tournaments about to start in basketball, lets just take the top 2 teams in the district so the other teams don"t have to play each other again. Then, only take district tournament winner to the region. That would cut down on so many games in the district and regional tournament. Kids wouldn't have to worry about getting hurt playing meaningless games (1 vs 4 seeds in districts and district runner-ups vs district winners in the regional tournament). That way there isn't an adverse affect on track and baseball.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    67

    Basketball is king in Kentucky

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 10
    Posts
    633

    Quote Originally Posted by Zonelife View Post
    Basketball is king in Kentucky
    Unfortunately, many believe that. And because of that they want to argue about making changes to football constantly. I have never seen an argument on a basketball page to shorten the season or limit the number of teams making the district tournament or regional tournament. The number 4 seed in basketball plays the number 1 seed every year, right? Why not eliminate that? For instance in the 64th district Ashland will play Rose Hill in the first round of the district tournament. By your argument they shouldn't play. Ashland just beat them by 35 points a few weeks ago and by 36 earlier in the season. Why play this meaningless game? Is that not the same thing you just said about 1st round football games? Tell me the difference.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    67

    So 1-9, 2-8, 0-10 teams should make the playoffs? I live in Ohio which has its issues but they have a ranking system to get in the playoffs which should be more of what they do in Kentucky. They want the rankings after the the Intra district playoffs. Which the Intra district didn’t work before so why do it again? Ranking the 1s and 2s is what makes the most sense, maybe 3rd but making the playoffs should mean something. Now it’s just a right if you play football.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 10
    Posts
    633

    Quote Originally Posted by Zonelife View Post
    So 1-9, 2-8, 0-10 teams should make the playoffs? I live in Ohio which has its issues but they have a ranking system to get in the playoffs which should be more of what they do in Kentucky. They want the rankings after the the Intra district playoffs. Which the Intra district didn’t work before so why do it again? Ranking the 1s and 2s is what makes the most sense, maybe 3rd but making the playoffs should mean something. Now it’s just a right if you play football.
    Not every team makes it in football. Many districts have 5 or 6 teams and yes, some have 4 or 3. In Kentucky every team makes it in every other sport. Are district tournaments not just like the playoffs for football?
    My thinking is, any time you get an extra week of practice with your team and play a game, it is a positive.
    Ohio is much different than Kentucky due to population and the number of teams. What works for us might not work for you and vice versa.

Top