I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

Page 17 of First I want to say I was VERY IMPRESSED with their knowledge of high school football. It was more than just Highlands too, wow! I am going to throw so... 433 comments | 44752 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #241
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    If revenue doesn't get the attention of administrators, I don't know what will. I know I keep bringing up the change CCH made from Wirth, but one of the factors that led to the change was donations to the CCH capital campaign were drying up because of disgruntlement with Wirth and the football program.
    Interesting, so they felt it.

    Question for you. Was there administrators crying that the lack of donations would only hurt the kids?

    Money is evil but speaks volumes and is in full play at Highlands right now and they will feel it.
    Advertisement

  2. #242
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    These programs weren't necessarily having success (at least at the level they are experiencing now) back when the football program was winning state championships. And to be fair, while they are having success, none of those have won a state championship. State titles are hard to win. Success in one, two or even three sports does not guarantee success in others. And likely, some of the kids that would have chosen football are now choosing to play other sports. What Highlands has experienced in the past is incredible, but a lot has happened over the last few years. For one, other teams have gotten better, especially their big rival Covington Catholic, who has the benefit of being able to offer a religious based education, something that a public (yes, Highlands is a public school) can't offer. Also, you don't see the as many of the tuition paying kids from out of area. Like it or not, even though that wasn't a big number, many of those kids played a significant role in Highlands success.

    Bottom line is it's getting harder and harder to sustain long runs of success.
    Really bad analogy saying CovCath is better and drawing better kids because of a religious based opportunities.

    Heck there is still a large contingency of Catholic kids at Highlands that choose Highlands over NewCath for reasons that I will not get into in this debate. It doesnít make them less Catholic because Highlands doesnít offer religious curriculum.

    And are you saying every single kid that goes to CovCath and NewCath are catholic and the reason they go there is for the religious curriculum?

    I donít think so. They may be getting a religious curriculum but it doesnít mean they were born and raised with the sacraments.

    They go to those schools for multiple reasons (structured environment, athletics and yes the religious teachings) but keep in mind those schools have advantages but also disadvantages compared to Highlands.

    Bad argument.

  3. #243

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,033

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Really bad analogy saying CovCath is better and drawing better kids because of a religious based opportunities.

    Heck there is still a large contingency of Catholic kids at Highlands that choose Highlands over NewCath for reasons that I will not get into in this debate. It doesnít make them less Catholic because Highlands doesnít offer religious curriculum.

    And are you saying every single kid that goes to CovCath and NewCath are catholic and the reason they go there is for the religious curriculum?

    I donít think so. They may be getting a religious curriculum but it doesnít mean they were born and raised with the sacraments.

    They go to those schools for multiple reasons (structured environment, athletics and yes the religious teachings) but keep in mind those schools have advantages but also disadvantages compared to Highlands.

    Bad argument.
    Not at all, and I didn't mean to imply that parents choose Religious based schools strictly for the religion based education. My point was, that is one of the key differentiators between public and religious schools, and it's something that public schools cannot provide. For some, that's the deciding factor. For others it's the more rigid structure. Obviously, we all know sports can be a reason why kids choose any one school over the other, and that you don't have to be Catholic (or even religious) to go to a school like Cov Cath, or NewCath. Perhaps a better point to make, is that while Highlands is still a great school academically (arguably the best, and certainly in the argument for being the best), other schools have improved as well, and while not on the same level, they still can provide excellent education. And with other schools having improved athletically, perhaps more are choosing to stay where they are at, rather than making a jump to Highlands, like many did even a decade ago. I remember watching Highlands in the years prior to and right after Towles, and those teams were phycally impressive....not huge but decent size, very fast, and very deep. When I saw Highlands this year, quite honestly, physically, they looked like almost every other team in NKY, and I watched a young Scott team give them fits for 1 half of football without their best player. That wouldn't have happened 15 years ago...that would have been a 70-0 game. But Scott is a public school team in NKY that has improved in all areas. SK is another that has greatly improved over the last decade and a half. There are less reasons for people to jump to, or even stay at Highlands both athletically and academically these days.

  4. #244

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,367

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    If revenue doesn't get the attention of administrators, I don't know what will. I know I keep bringing up the change CCH made from Wirth, but one of the factors that led to the change was donations to the CCH capital campaign were drying up because of disgruntlement with Wirth and the football program.
    So the CovCath administrators shared that donations were drying up and this was linked to the football program. Sorry, not buying that one.

  5. #245
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Not at all, and I didn't mean to imply that parents choose Religious based schools strictly for the religion based education. My point was, that is one of the key differentiators between public and religious schools, and it's something that public schools cannot provide. For some, that's the deciding factor. For others it's the more rigid structure. Obviously, we all know sports can be a reason why kids choose any one school over the other, and that you don't have to be Catholic (or even religious) to go to a school like Cov Cath, or NewCath. Perhaps a better point to make, is that while Highlands is still a great school academically (arguably the best, and certainly in the argument for being the best), other schools have improved as well, and while not on the same level, they still can provide excellent education. And with other schools having improved athletically, perhaps more are choosing to stay where they are at, rather than making a jump to Highlands, like many did even a decade ago. I remember watching Highlands in the years prior to and right after Towles, and those teams were phycally impressive....not huge but decent size, very fast, and very deep. When I saw Highlands this year, quite honestly, physically, they looked like almost every other team in NKY, and I watched a young Scott team give them fits for 1 half of football without their best player. That wouldn't have happened 15 years ago...that would have been a 70-0 game. But Scott is a public school team in NKY that has improved in all areas. SK is another that has greatly improved over the last decade and a half. There are less reasons for people to jump to, or even stay at Highlands both athletically and academically these days.
    Fair enough.

    But to my point, BW lack of success at the Varsity level and his lack of participation at the grade school level has not helped the situation but rather made a Highlands football an average football school now and any football player that is considering a football school along with academics is now staying put because there is nothing special going on at Highlands on Friday nights or in December.

    Again, it’s going to rapidly become a money issue at Highlands sooner than later so administrators had better come up with a plan to fix the football program so kids and parents will consider Highlands as the premier program both athletically and academically.

    And yes both compliment one another in their odd kind of way. If the choice is academics Highlands still gets a thumbs up from parents but if their football program is struggling with no end in sight then it’s a thumbs down from both parents and the kid.

    This has to be fixed and fixed sooner than later.

  6. #246

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,736

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Sorry. Sometimes it is hard to read written posts and determine if there is sarcasm or innuendo intended. Your cryptic posts caused me to think you really don't agree with me.

    I am saying Covington Catholic went through a very similar situation with both Brossart and then Wirth as where Highlands is now. The CCH fans were disgruntled and the administration changed coaches. They hit a home run when Eviston was ready to move back to N. Ky. and they hired him. The proof is there. Get the right coach in place and the winning will happen. It happened at CCH and it can happen at Highlands.
    I TOTALLY agree.

  7. #247

    Join Date
    Oct 19
    Posts
    35

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Now hereís a guy that just plain gets it.
    The success of the CCH program is a success now because the Administration and Bob Rowe want to win. So they got the best out there to deliver that to the alumni. Thatís my opinion.

  8. #248

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    223

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions.

    However it is not necessary to meet with them face to face because they are all reading this public opinion on here and following closely.

    They know how to reach me if they would like to talk face to face but as you say they wonít.

    We will agree to disagree.
    Not what I said...you won't contact them. Why should they contact you?

  9. #249
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    991

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Fair enough.

    But to my point, BW lack of success at the Varsity level and his lack of participation at the grade school level has not helped the situation but rather made a Highlands football an average football school now and any football player that is considering a football school along with academics is now staying put because there is nothing special going on at Highlands on Friday nights or in December.

    Again, it’s going to rapidly become a money issue at Highlands sooner than later so administrators had better come up with a plan to fix the football program so kids and parents will consider Highlands as the premier program both athletically and academically.

    And yes both compliment one another in their odd kind of way. If the choice is academics Highlands still gets a thumbs up from parents but if their football program is struggling with no end in sight then it’s a thumbs down from both parents and the kid.

    This has to be fixed and fixed sooner than later.
    I think old Highlands football players are the only ones who are concerned about the program’s direction. The administration believes everything is going as planned.

  10. #250
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,429

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    So the CovCath administrators shared that donations were drying up and this was linked to the football program. Sorry, not buying that one.
    One of several factors that led to the change from Wirth.

    Quote Originally Posted by YOUTH2019 View Post
    The success of the CCH program is a success now because the Administration and Bob Rowe want to win. So they got the best out there to deliver that to the alumni. That’s my opinion.
    Agree!!

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    I think old Highlands football players are the only ones who are concerned about the program’s direction. The administration believes everything is going as planned.
    In a nutshell, that seems to be the problem.

  11. #251

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,541

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    I think old Highlands football players are the only ones who are concerned about the program’s direction. The administration believes everything is going as planned.
    As planned? Care to elaborate

  12. #252
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    991

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    As planned? Care to elaborate
    Sure. The administration views the football team as one of the activities the students can participate in. Like chess club or choir. They probably view this year as a success. The football team checked all the boxes this year. State championship is not one of the boxes.

  13. #253
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,164

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    Sure. The administration views the football team as one of the activities the students can participate in. Like chess club or choir. They probably view this year as a success.
    Are you being serious?

  14. #254
    El Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    The Fort
    Posts
    991

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Are you being serious?
    Of course. If they thought something was wrong they would have fixed it.

  15. #255
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    God help the administration at Highlands if what Diablo is saying is true.

    He is pretty close to some Highlands folks, I hope he isn’t good friends with anyone that is running this dog and pony show.

Top