I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

Page 16 of First I want to say I was VERY IMPRESSED with their knowledge of high school football. It was more than just Highlands too, wow! I am going to throw so... 433 comments | 44734 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #226
    Bird Bath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Location
    Caketown
    Posts
    1,581

    Quote Originally Posted by 9068 View Post
    Sure. Different type of athletes. They don't embrace the hit or be hit mentality of football. Many kids specialize now. Soccer NEVER ends. Baseball is almost 12 months with travel, fall, individual coaching sessions, and then HS season. Basketball is a long season and if a kid is a basketball player( not a football player who plays basketball) you miss pre-season, have conflicts due to AAU, open gyms, team camp, etc. That's not the football coaches fault, it's just where HS sports has moved over the past 10 years or so.
    Excellent post and very true! My kid happens to love contact and wants the hit that comes with keep your head on a swivel. He needs to work on his speed but that is not the current generation plus if you look at the recent retirement of a Panther now your time on the field might be limited. Those familiar with the program should definitely know it now. Kids are opting to play other sports.
    Advertisement

  2. #227

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    223

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    So you are saying Highlands needs to replace their principal with a sports minded guy that is interested in winning.
    Not at all. If the folks in administration and on the board feel confident in that person I'm perfectly fine with them. YOU JUST DON'T GET IT. It's about a TOTAL school program, not just FOOTBALL. My suggestion to you is that if you have a problem with the football coach, contact the principal and AD and have a FACE TO FACE meeting with them and the coach....bet that won't happen. It's unfortunate that you keep trying to burn the man in the court of public opinion. And, if you think that Cov Cath and Highlands operate the same way you are sadly mistaken. Both are exceptional schools under the guidance of fine administrators. By the way, when you call today to set up that appointment you probably will not get an answer..off for MLK. Call first thing tomorrow!!

  3. #228

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Dale type coaches? How many state championships have the basketball team, soccer team, and baseball team won over the last 10 years? And you are comparing those programs to the success Dale had?
    Not sure if this is a great way to compare coaches/programs across sports. May not be able to say the same for basketball, but Highlands baseball and soccer would each arguably have 3-5 (possibly more) state championships in the past 10 years if their sports had 3+ classes. Also don’t think Dale would have nearly as many state championships if football was unclassed.

  4. #229
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Dale type coaches? How many state championships have the basketball team, soccer team, and baseball team won over the last 10 years? And you are comparing those programs to the success Dale had?
    Nope not comparing just making an argument that the talent is walking the hallways and those coaches are finding a way to win yet BW isn’t.

    You following where Iam headed with this debate?

    It wasn’t that long ago that the Blueboys were in this exact scenario.

    #makethechange

  5. #230
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by 9068 View Post
    Not at all. If the folks in administration and on the board feel confident in that person I'm perfectly fine with them. YOU JUST DON'T GET IT. It's about a TOTAL school program, not just FOOTBALL. My suggestion to you is that if you have a problem with the football coach, contact the principal and AD and have a FACE TO FACE meeting with them and the coach....bet that won't happen. It's unfortunate that you keep trying to burn the man in the court of public opinion. And, if you think that Cov Cath and Highlands operate the same way you are sadly mistaken. Both are exceptional schools under the guidance of fine administrators. By the way, when you call today to set up that appointment you probably will not get an answer..off for MLK. Call first thing tomorrow!!
    Thanks for your suggestions.

    However it is not necessary to meet with them face to face because they are all reading this public opinion on here and following closely.

    They know how to reach me if they would like to talk face to face but as you say they won’t.

    We will agree to disagree.

  6. #231

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,033

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Nobody going to touch this one are they?

    Doesn’t make sense to me or it makes all the sense in the world.

    Listerman, Baioni and Soccer coach will all be up for Coach of Year awards I guess.
    These programs weren't necessarily having success (at least at the level they are experiencing now) back when the football program was winning state championships. And to be fair, while they are having success, none of those have won a state championship. State titles are hard to win. Success in one, two or even three sports does not guarantee success in others. And likely, some of the kids that would have chosen football are now choosing to play other sports. What Highlands has experienced in the past is incredible, but a lot has happened over the last few years. For one, other teams have gotten better, especially their big rival Covington Catholic, who has the benefit of being able to offer a religious based education, something that a public (yes, Highlands is a public school) can't offer. Also, you don't see the as many of the tuition paying kids from out of area. Like it or not, even though that wasn't a big number, many of those kids played a significant role in Highlands success.

    Bottom line is it's getting harder and harder to sustain long runs of success.

  7. #232
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,429

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    It reminds me of some Cov Cath threads 5 and 6 years ago. Then the Colonels changed coaches. Hmmmm ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    Of course it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    It doesn't remind you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    I said of course it does.
    Sorry. Sometimes it is hard to read written posts and determine if there is sarcasm or innuendo intended. Your cryptic posts caused me to think you really don't agree with me.

    I am saying Covington Catholic went through a very similar situation with both Brossart and then Wirth as where Highlands is now. The CCH fans were disgruntled and the administration changed coaches. They hit a home run when Eviston was ready to move back to N. Ky. and they hired him. The proof is there. Get the right coach in place and the winning will happen. It happened at CCH and it can happen at Highlands.

  8. #233
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Sorry. Sometimes it is hard to read written posts and determine if there is sarcasm or innuendo intended. Your cryptic posts caused me to think you really don't agree with me.

    I am saying Covington Catholic went through a very similar situation with both Brossart and then Wirth as where Highlands is now. The CCH fans were disgruntled and the administration changed coaches. They hit a home run when Eviston was ready to move back to N. Ky. and they hired him. The proof is there. Get the right coach in place and the winning will happen. It happened at CCH and it can happen at Highlands.
    Now here’s a guy that just plain gets it.

  9. #234
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    These programs weren't necessarily having success (at least at the level they are experiencing now) back when the football program was winning state championships. And to be fair, while they are having success, none of those have won a state championship. State titles are hard to win. Success in one, two or even three sports does not guarantee success in others. And likely, some of the kids that would have chosen football are now choosing to play other sports. What Highlands has experienced in the past is incredible, but a lot has happened over the last few years. For one, other teams have gotten better, especially their big rival Covington Catholic, who has the benefit of being able to offer a religious based education, something that a public (yes, Highlands is a public school) can't offer. Also, you don't see the as many of the tuition paying kids from out of area. Like it or not, even though that wasn't a big number, many of those kids played a significant role in Highlands success.

    Bottom line is it's getting harder and harder to sustain long runs of success.
    This is a perfect example as to why all sports not named football are perfectly fine with the current state of the football program.

    All these coaches don’t want to see change because if Highlands would bring in the next man they could possibly lose out on athletes.

    All these coaches have BW back. It’s a dog eat dog world when it comes to sports at Highlands and it could hurt their successes.

    Just sayin.

  10. #235
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,429

    The critical piece in the whole situation with the football coach is the administration at Highlands. Until they believe there is an issue, nothing happens. Pressure from the community can push the administration as we so often see, but if the administration believes in the coach it is all for naught. From the outside looking in, I believe there was more than enough community pressure to make the change a year or two ago and the administration stuck with the coach. Now you have 6-5 and a first round playoff loss and it still looks like the administration is ok with things.

    How many times in the last 30 years has Highlands gone 6-5 and lost in the first round of the playoffs? That by itself doesn't necessarily warrant change, but when put in the context of the past 5 years it is a big factor. Highlands is not like other programs. Program history, standards and potential all create a different expectation for everyone.

  11. #236

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,033

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    This is a perfect example as to why all sports not named football are perfectly fine with the current state of the football program.

    All these coaches don’t want to see change because if Highlands would bring in the next man they could possibly lose out on athletes.

    All these coaches have BW back. It’s a dog eat dog world when it comes to sports at Highlands and it could hurt their successes.

    Just sayin.
    So the other coaches have BW's back because they don't want the football team to be successful..because a successful football teams means they would lose athletes? And Highlands needs to make a change, because football is more important than those other sports? Pardon me, but that sounds absolutely crazy. Most of the kids that are making those types of choices, are making them before high school. And while I'm sure it happens, I simply can't imagine a coach at a school rooting for another coach at that school to fail.

  12. #237

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,541

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The critical piece in the whole situation with the football coach is the administration at Highlands. Until they believe there is an issue, nothing happens. Pressure from the community can push the administration as we so often see, but if the administration believes in the coach it is all for naught. From the outside looking in, I believe there was more than enough community pressure to make the change a year or two ago and the administration stuck with the coach. Now you have 6-5 and a first round playoff loss and it still looks like the administration is ok with things.

    How many times in the last 30 years has Highlands gone 6-5 and lost in the first round of the playoffs? That by itself doesn't necessarily warrant change, but when put in the context of the past 5 years it is a big factor. Highlands is not like other programs. Program history, standards and potential all create a different expectation for everyone.
    Well said. It is about expectation and appearance from the community perspective.

    As I have said several times, BW is going nowhere until he decides he is done. It is the belief of many that going back to the class in which they belong is going to be the answer to all of the issues.

  13. #238
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    So the other coaches have BW's back because they don't want the football team to be successful..because a successful football teams means they would lose athletes? And Highlands needs to make a change, because football is more important than those other sports? Pardon me, but that sounds absolutely crazy. Most of the kids that are making those types of choices, are making them before high school. And while I'm sure it happens, I simply can't imagine a coach at a school rooting for another coach at that school to fail.
    Football is the cash cow and word has it soon to be replaced by soccer revenue and this is unheard of and has never been even close.

    Great for soccer at Highlands and keep winning because Football is going to need the money as well as most other sports at Highlands.

    Football in Ft Thomas begins at an early age and when BW alienates himself from being involved with the feeder program then then kids choose other sport at a young age.

    A recruiter once told me “don’t eliminate yourself before being eliminated”

    If you have nothing to offer at the Jr Football league then yes you are eliminating yourself early on and parents help kids make other choices.

    To be clear, coaches aren’t rooting or hoping that other sports fail but rather they certainly don’t want them to succeed more than them or they could lose athletes.

  14. #239
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    Well said. It is about expectation and appearance from the community perspective.

    As I have said several times, BW is going nowhere until he decides he is done. It is the belief of many that going back to the class in which they belong is going to be the answer to all of the issues.
    I have also heard but will need confirmation on here from someone smarter than me but BW retirement package will be calculated on his total pay from the school including extra curricular activities pay.

    Makes a lot of sense why he just wouldn’t resign if true and why his buddies won’t fire him.

  15. #240
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,429

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Football is the cash cow and word has it soon to be replaced by soccer revenue and this is unheard of and has never been even close.

    Great for soccer at Highlands and keep winning because Football is going to need the money as well as most other sports at Highlands.
    If revenue doesn't get the attention of administrators, I don't know what will. I know I keep bringing up the change CCH made from Wirth, but one of the factors that led to the change was donations to the CCH capital campaign were drying up because of disgruntlement with Wirth and the football program.

Top