How many teams have won a state title running the Wing T?

Page 3 of Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 Crittenden ran the Wing T in 98-01 and the only team that ever stopped it was Mayfield. It's a good offense if you have... 64 comments | 4269 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    23,407

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Grayson County ran it for a couple of years.
    Anyone still run it in KY?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    GOREDDEVILS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Home of the 2005 Class 2A Football State Champs!!!!!!
    Posts
    8,517

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28
    Anyone still run it in KY?
    Russell does

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 05
    Location
    L-O-U-I-S-V-I-L-L-E
    Posts
    402

    Ok, well I still believe it CAN be stopped, if the offense is filled with a great blocking offensive line, not many defenses can stop that... all I'm saying is that to stop the Wing-T each defensive player must play their possition, linebackers really just have to focus on reading their guards and meeting the ball at the line of scrimmage, lineman have to fight the pressure and hold their ground, while ends can't get sucked inside/stay at home/contain... the wing-t is pretty simple, the defense knows that the next offensive play will be 1 of 5 plays. I simply prefer to see other offenses, I agree that it can be very successful, but only if there is superior blocking in the trenches, a running back only has to break 1 tackle to get a huge gain.

  4. #34
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    42,477

    Quote Originally Posted by GOREDDEVILS
    Russell does
    I think he was asking about the single wing
    Does Russell run that or the Wing T?

  5. #35
    GOREDDEVILS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Home of the 2005 Class 2A Football State Champs!!!!!!
    Posts
    8,517

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan
    I think he was asking about the single wing
    Does Russell run that or the Wing T?
    I thought he was asking if any teams in Ky still ran Wing -T wasnt sure. Russell Runs wing-T and some power I and they did run a few plays out of the shotgun this year but not many.

  6. #36
    Red Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Cassiopeia
    Posts
    784

    Am I correct in saying that the Single wing is the shotgun with a
    wing-back and is basically a rushing offense? I remember last year,
    and I know this is a little off topic, that OSU ran with Ted Ginn, Jr.
    with direct snaps and the announcers kept calling it the Single Wing.
    So, is this the offense you are referring to?

  7. #37
    goherd96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,412

    Quote Originally Posted by CENTURION
    Ok, well I still believe it CAN be stopped, if the offense is filled with a great blocking offensive line, not many defenses can stop that... all I'm saying is that to stop the Wing-T each defensive player must play their possition, linebackers really just have to focus on reading their guards and meeting the ball at the line of scrimmage, lineman have to fight the pressure and hold their ground, while ends can't get sucked inside/stay at home/contain... the wing-t is pretty simple, the defense knows that the next offensive play will be 1 of 5 plays. I simply prefer to see other offenses, I agree that it can be very successful, but only if there is superior blocking in the trenches, a running back only has to break 1 tackle to get a huge gain.
    Most of what you are saying is the same for ANY offense. If the defense only knows the play 1 out of every 5, that means they have no idea what's coming 80% of the time. Your assessment of "defensive player must play their possition, linebackers really just have to focus on reading their guards and meeting the ball at the line of scrimmage, lineman have to fight the pressure and hold their ground, while ends can't get sucked inside/stay at home/contain" leaves a large amount of room for errors and, again, the same can be said for every offense out there.

  8. #38
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    42,477

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shift
    Am I correct in saying that the Single wing is the shotgun with a
    wing-back and is basically a rushing offense? I remember last year,
    and I know this is a little off topic, that OSU ran with Ted Ginn, Jr.
    with direct snaps and the announcers kept calling it the Single Wing.
    So, is this the offense you are referring to?
    Not really.
    There are three guys in the backfiekd in the single wing
    Ohio state was goin out of the shotgun using Ginn as a rb type.

  9. #39
    Red Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Cassiopeia
    Posts
    784

    Gotcha, NCF

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jun 05
    Location
    L-O-U-I-S-V-I-L-L-E
    Posts
    402

    I see your point Goherd, maybe it is just my personal opinion, but the wing-t isn't some excellent offensive strategy. If it worked THAT great more than just 1 team in the finals would run it. It has been my personal experience, as a football player at linebacker, that the wing-t was one of the easier offenses to stop, and I know that is very subjective but that's what i feel.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    369

    1992 Highlands team won state under Duffy running the Wing T. This was the second year this offense was run. HHS had a coach or two from the Clark County that had won state running the same offense help implement the system over this two year period. I don't believe the system won the title for the Birds.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluerunner
    1992 Highlands team won state under Duffy running the Wing T. This was the second year this offense was run. HHS had a coach or two from the Clark County that had won state running the same offense help implement the system over this two year period. I don't believe the system won the title for the Birds.
    I agree with you. I think Wing T might me successful for some area teams but they would need some coaches who know how to coach it.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Hat Creek Cattle Ranch
    Posts
    1,072

    Quote Originally Posted by CENTURION
    I see your point Goherd, maybe it is just my personal opinion, but the wing-t isn't some excellent offensive strategy. If it worked THAT great more than just 1 team in the finals would run it. It has been my personal experience, as a football player at linebacker, that the wing-t was one of the easier offenses to stop, and I know that is very subjective but that's what i feel.
    Didn't have much luck stopping LCA

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Hat Creek Cattle Ranch
    Posts
    1,072

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28
    Anyone still run it in KY?
    Manual, PRP, Scott County, LCA, Pikeville (wing T discipline)...just a few off the top of my head.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    Quote Originally Posted by Play 2 Win
    Russell won the AAA Title in 1978 running the wing-T
    Has Russell ever not run the Wing-T?

    And is the Wing-T the same offense as the Flex-bone on EA NCAA Football games?

Top