How many official KHSAA state titles does Saint X have?

Page 3 of Originally Posted by H I have a problem with the assertion that the Rotary Bowl was a state championship game. The Rotary Bowl may have sought to match... 38 comments | 1794 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    Oxnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    6,684

    Quote Originally Posted by H
    I have a problem with the assertion that the Rotary Bowl was a state championship game. The Rotary Bowl may have sought to match the best two teams in the state, but it was just picking from the best teams available. Many of the best programs in the state had firm annual commitments in Thanksgiving Day rivalry games. For the Rotary Bowl to be a genuine "best against best" contest, it would have been played after Thanksgiving when all teams were available.
    H, I don't think you had much chance of being invited to the Rotary Bowl in 1956 and 1957, since Male's record was 6-4-1 and 4-2-3 respectively. Something other than the Turkey Day Rivalry precluded your absence.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    St. Matthews, Home of the 2006 and 17 time KY State Champion Trinity Shamrocks
    Posts
    6,464

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    When X and t hit the field against each other, one team could be 10-0 and the other 0-10, there still would be no certain victor....such is the history of our series. I will lay claim to 2005 only if and when we win.
    How true, how true.

  3. #33
    H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    The Luxury Box at Male's Historic Maxwell Field. LET'S GO BULLDOGS!
    Posts
    4,208

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    H, I don't think you had much chance of being invited to the Rotary Bowl in 1956 and 1957, since Male's record was 6-4-1 and 4-2-3 respectively. Something other than the Turkey Day Rivalry precluded your absence.
    I never said Male (or Manual) belonged in the Rotary Bowl in 1956 or 1957--just questioned how a game could be said to match the best two teams when many of the best programs in the state automatically played elsewhere on Thanksgiving. By the way, who did St X play in the 1957 Rotary Bowl?

  4. #34
    Oxnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    6,684

    Quote Originally Posted by H
    I never said Male (or Manual) belonged in the Rotary Bowl in 1956 or 1957--just questioned how a game could be said to match the best two teams when many of the best programs in the state automatically played elsewhere on Thanksgiving. By the way, who did St X play in the 1957 Rotary Bowl?
    H, in 1956 the Tigers played Newport and defeated them 52-7. In 1957, they played Corbin and defeated them 47-0. I hope this helps. By the way, I LOVE the web site you established on the athletic history of Male.

  5. #35
    H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    The Luxury Box at Male's Historic Maxwell Field. LET'S GO BULLDOGS!
    Posts
    4,208

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    H, in 1956 the Tigers played Newport and defeated them 52-7. In 1957, they played Corbin and defeated them 47-0. I hope this helps. By the way, I LOVE the web site you established on the athletic history of Male.
    Thanks, Ox. I'll bet St X's 1957 State Championship was based on their being atop the Litkenhous Ratings at the end of the season, rather than beating Corbin in a supposed 1-2 matchup in the Rotary Bowl. Let me explain my reasoning. First of all, Corbin was on the losing end of a 47-0 score. It's hard for me to believe that the legitimate #2 team in the state would lose by such a lopsided score when even 4-2-3 Male tied X 0-0 that year. Possible legitimate candidates for a 1-2 matchup? Well, Highlands was undefeated that year, and if their lopsided wins over Male that year are any indication, Flaget and Paducah Tilghman both had very good teams. In short, I don't have much confidence that the Rotary Bowl actually succeeded in matching the two best teams in the state each year.

    Now, on another subject, how's your St X football history research coming along? You know, your Internet Service Provider may allocate you enough personal web space to create your own TigerFootballHistory.com.

  6. #36
    rock86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Oldham co.
    Posts
    255

    This is too good of a thread to pass up. First, I give St. X credit for their 2 titles because they were undefeated. The years 1956 and 1957 appear on their banner in their gym and I think they deserve those for sure.

    Male counts their pre '59 titles in their program as well as Manual. My understanding, this was a litkenhous rating deal back in the day.

    Who won 1958?

    The Jefferson County Champion was considered the big school champion by the state from 1959 until 1975!

    Ohio has only had "official" champs in football since 1972! The big school runner up this year, Massillon, has 22 "mythical" state titles. They have one of the more storied histories in high school football.

    Danville claims some pre-'59 titles. Highlands should count their pre-'59 titles.(of course last year's 3A title should have been vacated " Ashland has many.

    Flaget claimed a handful.

    Let's work together on this one and see if we can come up with a list of pre-1959 state champs in football based

  7. #37
    Oxnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    6,684

    Quote Originally Posted by rock86
    This is too good of a thread to pass up. First, I give St. X credit for their 2 titles because they were undefeated. The years 1956 and 1957 appear on their banner in their gym and I think they deserve those for sure.

    Male counts their pre '59 titles in their program as well as Manual. My understanding, this was a litkenhous rating deal back in the day.

    Who won 1958?

    The Jefferson County Champion was considered the big school champion by the state from 1959 until 1975!

    Ohio has only had "official" champs in football since 1972! The big school runner up this year, Massillon, has 22 "mythical" state titles. They have one of the more storied histories in high school football.

    Danville claims some pre-'59 titles. Highlands should count their pre-'59 titles.(of course last year's 3A title should have been vacated " Ashland has many.

    Flaget claimed a handful.

    Let's work together on this one and see if we can come up with a list of pre-1959 state champs in football based
    An excellent post....I agree!

    In 1958, I think the #1 team was Flaget, but I need to re-check this.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    North Carolina, but crazy about Ft. Thomas Highlands! Visit my Highlands website at www.Highlands-Bluebirds.com!
    Posts
    7,132

    Quote Originally Posted by rock86
    Highlands should count their pre-'59 titles.(of course last year's 3A title should have been vacated "
    You just couldn't let it go, could you!!!!!!!

    Seriously, though, Highlands' 2-13 season being their final record is not a done-deal yet. Don't be too shocked if within a year from now, you see "14-1" next to the Bluebirds' 2004 schedule.

  9. #39
    rock86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Oldham co.
    Posts
    255

    Quote Originally Posted by jbwill2
    You just couldn't let it go, could you!!!!!!!

    Seriously, though, Highlands' 2-13 season being their final record is not a done-deal yet. Don't be too shocked if within a year from now, you see "14-1" next to the Bluebirds' 2004 schedule.
    I hope so. I think the whole deal is wrong. A kid should be empowered to leave a private and attend a public school of his choice as long as he meets their standards academically. If the public school charges tuition, then the athlete/student can pay the tuition. I never heard if the kid received a release from his old school. If both schools approve, the KHSAA and everyone else should leave it alone. But that's for another day and another thread.

    If you all have 19, then by all means your championship t-shirts should reflect it! Believe me, if Trinity had gone undefeated in 1956, it would be on evry garment and cap that lists state titles!

Top