Highlands requests to play up in 5A

Page 3 of I think this is a bad move by the the Bluebirds. You guys and gals are out-kicking your coverage. Additionally, I have heard from numerous sources that... 65 comments | 6069 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,512

    Not involved at all in the decision. But I am the almighty.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,186

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    The only person that should have a say in it is the football coach, and that clearly wasn’t the case here.
    Thats not the case in anything involved with the KHSAA, coaches dont have a say, unless they are in administration as well.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,186

    Well at least for 2019-2022 we can not blame the coaches for what happens.

  4. #34
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    46,078

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    The only person that should have a say in it is the football coach, and that clearly wasn’t the case here.
    I figured you would think the ADs should make all the decisions.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Birds Nest
    Posts
    1,601

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    It matters if the goal is to win a state championship. It will be much tougher to win 5A than it would be to win 4A.
    Ahh so take the easy route? I would rather play the best or better teams to win a championship than take the cake route. No pun intended.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,005

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
    Ahh so take the easy route? I would rather play the best or better teams to win a championship than take the cake route. No pun intended.
    Do they put asterisks on State Titles?? Do people really look down at a title won in the class you are supposed to be in??

  7. #37
    Bird Bath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Location
    Caketown
    Posts
    1,576

    Interesting! I am not sure I know the correct decision I see both sides. If you are going to play the same teams I might opt to stay in 4A much easier path and if you take out travel costs. Yes you have a much easier region but you can play the same schedule with the exception of your must play games. Yes 5A is much tougher field just to escape NKY play. I am sure many on this board will beat their chests and say HHS winning 4A is slap to the tradition. Hog wash the kids want to win titles. Ask any team that can escape 6A. I know HHS program is on the rise and yes I was one to say the talent was down. I would hate to think this decision would rest with the AD as to be blunt, shame on the school board for putting him in this position. Sorry not qualified in the least. I would have rather flip a coin than to listen to any of that logic.

  8. #38
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,265

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The last time they did realignment and Highlands chose to play up - did anyone think that was a mistake?

    The last time there was realignment and Covington Catholic chose to play up from 4A to 5A - did anyone think it was a mistake?

    The last time there was realignment, Covington Catholic had not beaten Highlands in 7 years. In fact, Covington Catholic lost to other teams besides Highlands in the playoffs a couple of those years and didn't even make it to the Highlands rematch in round 3 of the playoffs. Did people think it was a mistake for Covington Catholic to choose to play up to 5A? (CCH was 4A by enrollment the last time there was realignment).

    I am having a hard time understanding why people think Highlands, arguably the greatest high school football program in Kentucky history, should not choose to play up. Why not play up, especially when it helps so much with scheduling, less travel and gets higher attendance at games?
    Why does this post get dislikes?

    The Highlands program is in a similar position where Covington Catholic was the last time there was a realignment. Back then it looked like Covington Catholic would never beat Highlands again. They hadn't beaten Highlands in seven years!. But Covington Catholic played up to 5A anyway and I don't remember CCH fans being upset because CCH played up. Now four years later Covington Catholic has one really good year and some people don't think Highlands should play up? I repeat, CCH had not beaten Highlands in seven years and they played up. I just don't get it. Why not play up? Why is this even a debate?

  9. #39
    Bird Bath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Location
    Caketown
    Posts
    1,576

    CCH has made a very good hire. They are having students opt to enroll and get many of the fish in both Boone and Kenton, heck even Campbell these days. HHS has an aging population and kids have different interests now. I hope 5A works but I will state that other NKY programs have caught up. It’s just a tougher road to climb and not sure why one would opt to put the program in that position. I think it was a good thing Beechwood and NCC was in one and 2A. I would love nothing better to see NKY win in all classes. I do believe state titles do not come with astericks. Again go back to winning and then look at moving back up; otherwise you may not go back to that tradition. I am rooting either way!

  10. #40
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,227

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    That statement is based upon what exactly?
    Does BW want to play up?

  11. #41
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,227

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    I figured you would think the ADs should make all the decisions.
    Why's that?

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,303

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Why does this post get dislikes?

    The Highlands program is in a similar position where Covington Catholic was the last time there was a realignment. Back then it looked like Covington Catholic would never beat Highlands again. They hadn't beaten Highlands in seven years!. But Covington Catholic played up to 5A anyway and I don't remember CCH fans being upset because CCH played up. Now four years later Covington Catholic has one really good year and some people don't think Highlands should play up? I repeat, CCH had not beaten Highlands in seven years and they played up. I just don't get it. Why not play up? Why is this even a debate?
    You are painting with a wide brush here. There were absolutely CovCath people questioning the wisdom of playing up.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,512

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Does BW want to play up?
    I cannot answer that question because I do not know what his preference is to be honest. If things do not improve in the operation of the program over this next year it likely will not matter.

  14. #44
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,227

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    I cannot answer that question because I do not know what his preference is to be honest. If things do not improve in the operation of the program over this next year it likely will not matter.
    This sounds like something that can't be measured and is purely a judgment call. BW already being set up for failure by those who want him gone.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    134

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
    Ahh so take the easy route? I would rather play the best or better teams to win a championship than take the cake route. No pun intended.
    I'm with you SS.

    After reading the posts about HHS the last two years, the haters would have a field day. I can hear them now. HHS went to 4A to duck BG,CCH, South Warren and so on. Does it really matter if HHS is 4A or 5A? They will compete in either class.

Top