HHS vs LexCath Predictions

Page 7 of I went with Lex. Cath. to win cause I just think that this is the year they will get over that hump and make it to the finals. But it should be a great... 161 comments | 8891 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lexington Catholic

    98 44.55%
  • Highlands

    122 55.45%
  1. #91
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    St. X does not have close to the speed of Colerain.

    LexCath's is equal to Colerain's, only in a much different kind of offense; primarily passing vs. Colerain's option.
    Burbage and Caldwell, and to a lesser extent Burke may have Colerain type speed. The problem is that Colerain had 7 or more kids with that speed. Their d'backs were blazing fast. They also had an offensive line that probably averaged close to 280 pounds and was fast (for their size) and quick. They also have 7-8 kids, as I recall that have committed to major D-1 schools. Lex Cath has Burke. Don't even try to compare LexCath to Colerain. Big difference...no make that a huge difference.

    Having said that Colerain whipped our tail and if LexCath had the size, talent and overall team speed that Colerain has, they just may whip us too. But they don't. Not close. Furthermore the Colerain game was the third varsity level game that 15 of the Highlands starters played in. Those 15 kids now have a full season under their belts. Heck the entire offensive line was new and I mean totally spanking new this year. They have gelled quite well. To think they were going to effectively block Mixon and Moeller (Colerain's two outstanding lb'ers; one to Ohio State and one to Michigan) with only two prior games under their belt is silly. No disrespect to the LC linebackers (who are good I am told), but they are not quite the same as Colerain's.

    If we practice hard, play hard, don't commit a lot of penalties and turnovers, we'll win.
    Advertisement

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    Burbage and Caldwell, and to a lesser extent Burke may have Colerain type speed. The problem is that Colerain had 7 or more kids with that speed. Their d'backs were blazing fast. They also had an offensive line that probably averaged close to 280 pounds and was fast (for their size) and quick. They also have 7-8 kids, as I recall that have committed to major D-1 schools. Lex Cath has Burke. Don't even try to compare LexCath to Colerain. Big difference...no make that a huge difference.

    Having said that Colerain whipped our tail and if LexCath had the size, talent and overall team speed that Colerain has, they just may whip us too. But they don't. Not close. Furthermore the Colerain game was the third varsity level game that 15 of the Highlands starters played in. Those 15 kids now have a full season under their belts. Heck the entire offensive line was new and I mean totally spanking new this year. They have gelled quite well. To think they were going to effectively block Mixon and Moeller (Colerain's two outstanding lb'ers; one to Ohio State and one to Michigan) with only two prior games under their belt is silly. No disrespect to the LC linebackers (who are good I am told), but they are not quite the same as Colerain's.

    If we practice hard, play hard, don't commit a lot of penalties and turnovers, we'll win.
    The only way that LC's D compares to Colerain's is that they both line up across from the quarterback of the other team.

  3. #93
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    The only way that LC's D compares to Colerain's is that they both line up across from the quarterback of the other team.

    Now I know better. From what I've been told they are pretty good on d and very good on o. We'll have our hands full that's for sure as they beat a very good and talented CovCath team. I think it will be a close game. The key may be making sure our young kids don't lose their confidence if Lex Cath scores a couple of quick touchdowns. We can battle back if we get down as long as we don't lose our composure and confidence. I don't think we will as I don't think our seniors will let them.

    I have a lot of respect for LC and what Coach Spire has done there during his career. They play good, clean, well disciplined football. I like programs like that.

    Our young kids cannot lose focus this week or get full of themselves. The problem with young kids is that they are so inconsistent. The last three weeks they've played exceptionally well. Lets hope they do that for three more weeks. Is it Friday yet?

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    151

    I just wanted to say that we scored 2 TD's on Colerains D, where as Cincy St.X only scored 1 in each game!!! Not that it means anything, it just sounds good.

  5. #95

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry521
    I find this hard to believe.

    Burbage, Caldwell, Burke, and Israel are indeed as fast; that doesn't mean they are as good a football player as Pride, Shearer, William, & the others.

    Like I said, they utilize their speed in the passing game, whereas Colerain is an option team-very different.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    Burbage and Caldwell, and to a lesser extent Burke may have Colerain type speed. The problem is that Colerain had 7 or more kids with that speed. Their d'backs were blazing fast. They also had an offensive line that probably averaged close to 280 pounds and was fast (for their size) and quick. They also have 7-8 kids, as I recall that have committed to major D-1 schools. Lex Cath has Burke. Don't even try to compare LexCath to Colerain. Big difference...no make that a huge difference.

    Having said that Colerain whipped our tail and if LexCath had the size, talent and overall team speed that Colerain has, they just may whip us too. But they don't. Not close. Furthermore the Colerain game was the third varsity level game that 15 of the Highlands starters played in. Those 15 kids now have a full season under their belts. Heck the entire offensive line was new and I mean totally spanking new this year. They have gelled quite well. To think they were going to effectively block Mixon and Moeller (Colerain's two outstanding lb'ers; one to Ohio State and one to Michigan) with only two prior games under their belt is silly. No disrespect to the LC linebackers (who are good I am told), but they are not quite the same as Colerain's.

    If we practice hard, play hard, don't commit a lot of penalties and turnovers, we'll win.
    In the offensive speed department, they are comparable-very different offenses; that does not touch on the offensive line or defense, which I agree are not even close.

    Colerain has 4 DI players, Mixon-LB-Michigan, Moeller-OLB/DE-Ohio St., Shearer-RB-Minnesota, and Smith-OT-Ohio St. Ornella-OT, may go DI also, and I believe a DB is getting looks, but the 4 are the only commits to my knowledge.

    I have said all along I believe Highlands will win, but don't discount the level of the Big 4's (Burke, Israel, Burbage, Caldwell) speed.

  7. #97
    knightsdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Lexington, Ky. USA
    Posts
    1,194

    For what it's worth, LexCath's fastest starter wasn't mentioned in the above note.

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Jun 05
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    392

    I for one think that Lex Cath is going to slaughter Highlands. Dont get me wrong, Highlands has a good team, but There is no way that HHS can even begin to stop the fantastic 4. Defensively, the birds may be able to run, but dont be looking for any deep passes to save you like in the CCH game, Lex Cath has a DB that is like glue. If Lex Cath can stop Kramer at all i say 49-21 Lex Cath, if Kramer is on 49-35 Lex Cath

  9. #99
    JumperPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somerset, Kentucky
    Posts
    429

    You have to go with Highlands. The coach of Lex Cath always shows a way to lose the big games they loose by a couple in this one. Too much speed for lex cath. Also Highlands knows how to hit somebody. They will find a way to tame Justin Burke and the Knights go home and think of what could have been.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Posts
    1,668

    Quote Originally Posted by 72birdman
    Absolutely NOT...However, you know it will be in the back of their collective mind.

    Do you think they know this?

    In 45 years since the playoff system began in 1959, Highlands has:

    25 District Champs (56%)
    23 Regional Champs (51%)
    5 State Runner-up (11%)
    16 State Champ (36%)

    Between their State Runner-ups and their State Championships, the Birds have appeared in 47% of the title games. They average a State Championship game appearence every 2.1 years with a crown every 2.8 years.

    Do you think they will think about it as they enter David Cecil Memorial Stadium on Friday?
    I don't think these kids on LC really care what other LC teams in the past did.. We're not just talking the last 2 years..Many of the big games played with Boyle in the past were when these kids were in 6th to 8th grade..as far as playing a traditional powerhouse, i believe thats even more motivation for them, especially when they know on athleticism alone, they should win...

  11. #101
    72birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, Home of the Bluebirds and SOME of the Breds! REST IN PEACE QUINN and MITCH!
    Posts
    2,342

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatjack
    I don't think these kids on LC really care what other LC teams in the past did.. We're not just talking the last 2 years..Many of the big games played with Boyle in the past were when these kids were in 6th to 8th grade..as far as playing a traditional powerhouse, i believe thats even more motivation for them, especially when they know on athleticism alone, they should win...
    I too believe that playing the best can be a great motivator. If things go a little wrong for the challengers though, the THOUGHT of tradition, or the, here we go again syndrome, can be deadly.

    How do the LexCath kids "KNOW" that as a team, they are more athletic than the Birds?

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by knightsdad
    For what it's worth, LexCath's fastest starter wasn't mentioned in the above note.

    I'll bite; who are you referring to?

    And how do you know who is the fastest? Did they all get timed? If so, how legitimate are the times?

  13. #103
    Birdsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Vetustior Humo!
    Posts
    62,362

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatjack
    I believe thats even more motivation for them, especially when they know on athleticism alone, they should win...
    Really? Hope they stay that sure of their victory!

  14. #104
    UNDERTHEBRIDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,901

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I'll bite; who are you referring to?

    And how do you know who is the fastest? Did they all get timed? If so, how legitimate are the times?
    He means Ben Revere I believe and trust me, he is fastest. Usually the coaches time players preseason as well as various camps the players go to. The coaches were pretty accurate when I played there, I needed a sundial to determine my 40 time.

  15. #105
    stickymittsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    Sticky's Place
    Posts
    14

    Quote Originally Posted by Champs05
    I for one think that Lex Cath is going to slaughter Highlands. Dont get me wrong, Highlands has a good team, but There is no way that HHS can even begin to stop the fantastic 4. Defensively, the birds may be able to run, but dont be looking for any deep passes to save you like in the CCH game, Lex Cath has a DB that is like glue. If Lex Cath can stop Kramer at all i say 49-21 Lex Cath, if Kramer is on 49-35 Lex Cath
    They are going to have to stop more than just Kramer. Think that DB can cover Guidugli? He would be the first. GO BIRDS!!!!!

Top