GHSA brings on private investigator and proposes controversial rule to limit transfer

  1. #1
    CoachReedWingNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 10
    Location
    Great Commonwealth of Kentucky
    Posts
    48

    GHSA brings on private investigator and proposes controversial rule to limit transfer

    I hope this stays far away from KY!

    GHSA brings on private investigator and proposes controversial rule to limit transfers | 11alive.com
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    30,747

    I understand how a state gets there, but that's a pretty high burden of proof to prove the move is not for athletic purposes.

  3. #3
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    127,209

    From the article:

    The state's high school sports governing body will vote on a proposal known as the "50 percent sit-out rule." The proposed bylaw would force transfers who cannot prove they are moving schools for non-athletic reasons to miss half of the regular season. The Executive Board will vote on the proposal on Tuesday at the Thomaston-Upson County Civic Center.

    But if the new proposal passes, transfers will face the 50 percent sit-out rule unless their previous school waives the rule or the student appeals it and the new school is able to prove that the move was not "athletic in nature."

    ================

    On the first paragraph, it seems to me the governing body should have to be the ones doing the proving, as in proving the move is for athletic purposes. This strikes me as totally subjective at first blush.

    On the second paragraph, that is a laughable joke. We all know many schools act like little babies when they lose someone to a rival.

    And finally, I would think this would result in a lot of court action. If I was transferring and whatever subjective/arbitrary school failed to give me the waiver, I would spend a lot of money in court sticking it to them.

  4. #4
    KentuckyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Location
    Independence KY
    Posts
    2,558

    I agree there would be a lot of law suits!! Sending your kids to a school for sole reason of HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS is dumb. How about parents send kids to schools with high ranking test scores and a good safety record. Many times schools with great academics also have great sports programs i.e. Beechwood, Highlands, CovCath, Notre Dame Academy. Regardless if your kid is some great talent they will get notices no matter where they go. I love sports but it all comes to an end someday, put education first!!

  5. #5
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    8,950

    I have said it before and will say it again... people who think "recruiting" and transfers are bad in Kentucky has no clue compared to what goes on in major football states such as Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 16
    Posts
    891

    If they made it 1/2 season regardless of reason for transfer, then there would be no subjectivity and no law suits.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    354

    Quote Originally Posted by maysvilleky View Post
    If they made it 1/2 season regardless of reason for transfer, then there would be no subjectivity and no law suits.
    My first thought was this is genius......but there are some legitimate transfers that would be punished without need. I think if a family moves and has legitimate proof, then there should be no consequence for the first time. But, anything short of proof, or a second occurrence should result in having to sit out.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,005

    There are so many ways to cheat at transferring and recruiting. Some places and coaches just have it down pat better than others.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    9,855

    Simplified rule for this:

    First transfer, for any reason, OK. Second transfer, for any reason, lose a season.

    Take the subjectivity out it and the need for PIs.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    338

    They were also considering a move being over 50 miles as ok. I wish they would have left that part in. Also, they only gave $2,500 for the PI. Can't get much done for that price.

    GHSA has been a joke when it comes to transfers. A certain power house wrestling team turned another one in with proof from a PI that the wrestler still lived in their district and they did nothing. It's getting worse in Ga by the year. Schools are setting up apartments for players families and paying for them among other things. One year, 8 out of 10 state champs in basketball had a major transfer in. The two teams who played for the state championship in 6a football both had numerous D1 players move in.

  11. #11
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    8,950

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinGa View Post
    They were also considering a move being over 50 miles as ok. I wish they would have left that part in. Also, they only gave $2,500 for the PI. Can't get much done for that price.

    GHSA has been a joke when it comes to transfers. A certain power house wrestling team turned another one in with proof from a PI that the wrestler still lived in their district and they did nothing. It's getting worse in Ga by the year. Schools are setting up apartments for players families and paying for them among other things. One year, 8 out of 10 state champs in basketball had a major transfer in. The two teams who played for the state championship in 6a football both had numerous D1 players move in.
    To be fair though that was an AWESOME game to watch if we are talking about Grayson vs. Roswell

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    291

    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyJoe View Post
    I agree there would be a lot of law suits!! Sending your kids to a school for sole reason of HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS is dumb. How about parents send kids to schools with high ranking test scores and a good safety record. Many times schools with great academics also have great sports programs i.e. Beechwood, Highlands, CovCath, Notre Dame Academy. Regardless if your kid is some great talent they will get notices no matter where they go. I love sports but it all comes to an end someday, put education first!!
    Why is it dumb to send your kid who is a very good player to go and play with other great players and play for state titles and not to mention play for great coaches

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    338

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    To be fair though that was an AWESOME game to watch if we are talking about Grayson vs. Roswell
    It sure was. I wonder how things would have played out had they all stayed at their home school.

Top