Page 2 of 42019... 33 comments | 3214 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #21
    Premium Member barrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    835
    Looks like that defender was trying to keep his outside arm free and got rolled by the pulling g. For a team to get a call because the puller/lead blocker is getting illegally chopped down that defender would of had to have his shoulder pads into the pulling G and that G would of had to keep his hands off of him. If the G contacted with the hands the official is going to say the downward force pushed the defender into the legs.

    I have a feeling if you watch the film you'll see a DE coming up field and getting rolled and nothing like a chop block.

  2. #22
    Premium Member barrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    835
    I used the wrong term. It is not a chop block but an illegal block below the waist which can be called on the defense. If you are a real good power/counter team then teams will do it to you until they get called. Often it is combined with a wrong arm technique to spill the rb into a lb

  3. #23
    Email Not Valid
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Brandenburg, KY
    Posts
    7
    I'm sure the offensive player would rather have you call it a "pancake " block by him.

    Look I was at the game and it was definitely a live ball and should have been ruled as such with a TD awarded to Meade County. All this talk about "spearing and illegal defensive block is just silly.

    I will also add that there were still about 3 minutes left in the game so it doesn't necessarily mean that Meade would have won the game on this one play but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the correct call was made.

    It was a very hard fought and physical game by two teams pretty evenly matched. Good sportsmanship was shown by both teams and fans throughout.

    I'm extremely proud of the boys in Green.

    Congratulations to Scott County.
    fatsnbul, CoachBuckett and goteam1 like this.

  4. #24
    Moderator mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    35,326
    I've always been of the opinion that it's very difficult to lay the result of any game on one play.

    That being said, it appeared to be a missed call that was a huge momentum-changer.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Roswell, Ga
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlosknows1 View Post
    Looks like a chop block by the defender on offensive lineman which is a 15 yard penalty so ball goes back to Scott Co. Tough call but I am sure their is a lot of tough calls in the course of the game
    This is not a "chop" block. This is not illegal. The defender makes first contact with the offensive player against the upper body. In order for it to be "an illegal block below the waist", contact has to be initiated against at body part below the waist (the legs). Contact in this case as you can see is against the offensive players chest and forearm.

  6. #26
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    From what I've read here it was on the last drive when Scott scored the winning TD. Had it been called a fumble Meade at worst would have taken the ball with the lead but Meade's kid picked it up and scored so it would have padded their lead.
    Game was tied at 14-14. Would have given Meade the lead, not padded it.

  7. #27
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jun 13
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohard View Post
    This is not a "chop" block. This is not illegal. The defender makes first contact with the offensive player against the upper body. In order for it to be "an illegal block below the waist", contact has to be initiated against at body part below the waist (the legs). Contact in this case as you can see is against the offensive players chest and forearm.
    That is why the O-lineman is parallel with the groud. Trust me they went for his knees more than once when Scott Co pulled their lineman. One picture cant show it all but video can

  8. #28
    Premium Member Bluegrasscard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    5,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlosknows1 View Post
    That is why the O-lineman is parallel with the groud. Trust me they went for his knees more than once when Scott Co pulled their lineman. One picture cant show it all but video can
    Cut blocks are legal in the FBZ if it is the initial action - by either side of the line. A cut block is below the knees and is legal. A chop is double engagement high and low. Except for chop blocks, if the FBZ is intact not much gets called. If the FBZ is intact and the engaged parties were in the FBZ at the start of the play - block below the waist - legal, block in the back legal, cut block (as initial move) legal.

    Most people do not like the cut block - but its legal and helps if you LBs are your primary tacklers.

  9. #29
    Premium Member Bluegrasscard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    5,995
    Leading with the head - maybe...stills can deceive on such events. But definitely a fumble.

    Did Scott Co. not pony up ransom money for these?

  10. #30
    Premium Member Commander 25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    Bobcat Nation
    Posts
    5,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasscard View Post
    Cut blocks are legal in the FBZ if it is the initial action - by either side of the line. A cut block is below the knees and is legal. A chop is double engagement high and low. Except for chop blocks, if the FBZ is intact not much gets called. If the FBZ is intact and the engaged parties were in the FBZ at the start of the play - block below the waist - legal, block in the back legal, cut block (as initial move) legal. Most people do not like the cut block - but its legal and helps if you LBs are your primary tacklers.
    You can't cut the linebackers in the FBZ.

  11. #31
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander 25 View Post
    You can't cut the linebackers in the FBZ.
    If they're within one yard of the line of scrimmage at the time of the snap you can.
    Bluegrasscard likes this.

  12. #32
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jun 13
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasscard View Post
    Cut blocks are legal in the FBZ if it is the initial action - by either side of the line. A cut block is below the knees and is legal. A chop is double engagement high and low. Except for chop blocks, if the FBZ is intact not much gets called. If the FBZ is intact and the engaged parties were in the FBZ at the start of the play - block below the waist - legal, block in the back legal, cut block (as initial move) legal.

    Most people do not like the cut block - but its legal and helps if you LBs are your primary tacklers.
    You as a Linebacker can not cut the legs of a lead blocker at the point of attack. That is illegal and a penalty

  13. #33
    Premium Member Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    On the dock of the bay - wasting time
    Posts
    4,450
    I was just trying to move the thread in another direction with the spearing comment. It worked

    It was a fumble. We got lucky.... and then we capitolized on it.

  14. #34
    Email Not Valid
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Brandenburg, KY
    Posts
    7
    I thought this thread was about "the fumble". It was a fumble. End of story.
    Meade Pride and bellyball like this.